Glastocam!

pauladam

33 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

No ones saying the pics shouldn't be posted - just that they should have their own place. Surely two threads, as has been suggested, solves all issues:

• Glastocam - for discussion about the webcam
  • Site photos (Spoiler alert) - for any photos taken on site and potential spoilers of new things

Genuinely surprised this has caused any controversy but here we are. I'll probably be in both but fully appreciate the people who wish to discuss the webcam without seeing close up pictures of the new bits.

Agree, this is a good idea.  And gives us two threads to view to get away from all the unpleasantness on the other threads  😔

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

No ones saying the pics shouldn't be posted - just that they should have their own place. Surely two threads, as has been suggested, solves all issues:

• Site photos (Spoiler alert) - for any photos taken on site and potential spoilers of new things

Genuinely surprised this has caused any controversy but here we are. I'll probably be in both but fully appreciate the people who wish to discuss the webcam without seeing close up pictures of the new bits.

I'll give it about a day before GFL ask Neil to remove the thread. 

Everyone that's on site between now and Weds 22nd June will have agreed to not share photos of the build.   Once the site is secure from walkers and explorers, there shouldn't be any site photos and they will come down hard on it. 

So, just enjoy the webcam! 

45 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I think if @Neilcould just add the spoiler tag into the editor then we could easily carry on this thread without an issue. 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Everyone that's on site between now and Weds 22nd June will have agreed to not share photos of the build.   Once the site is secure from walkers and explorers, there shouldn't be any site photos and they will come down hard on it. 

Yes, I'm certain there was something in the terms and conditions when signing up for GFEL volunteering about not sharing images on social media in particular before the festival opens. And rightly so. I remember seeing IICON for the first time on the Wednesday last time round. Blew me away, totally unexpected.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yes, I'm certain there was something in the terms and conditions when signing up for GFEL volunteering about not sharing images on social media in particular before the festival opens. And rightly so. I remember seeing IICON for the first time on the Wednesday last time round. Blew me away, totally unexpected.

I saw a pic of IIcon before the festival last time - just had a check back - it was on someone's insta story on June 20th, so nearly a week before gates opened.

I'm fairly sure I saw it here then forwarded it to my brother-in-law on whatsapp, which is where I was just able to check back for the date. 

I'm undecided on the relative merits of secrecy or not. i think I'm inclined to want a sneak peek. Certainly with IIcon it made me actively head for the stage where I might not have done otherwise.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I saw a pic of IIcon before the festival last time - just had a check back - it was on someone's insta story on June 20th, so nearly a week before gates opened.

I'm fairly sure I saw it here then forwarded it to my brother-in-law on whatsapp, which is where I was just able to check back for the date. 

I'm undecided on the relative merits of secrecy or not. i think I'm inclined to want a sneak peek. Certainly with IIcon it made me actively head for the stage where I might not have done otherwise.  

I'm fully in the 'discover it when I get there' camp. I'll probably avoid this thread (not that I come onto it too much) and just take a look at the camera now and again. The way today's going, I'll have about two threads to visit...

I kind of get the spoiler thing, but at the same time you just wouldn’t come near efests full stop if you were that bothered, this is a place that picks over every minute detail of the festival and any small morsel of info is posted all over the place. You’d also have to completely stay off twitter, instagram etc as well.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I volunteered in 2019 and saw IICON in my Tuesday afternoon wander about before the gates opened. I took pics on my phone but I said to the Whatsapp Glastonbury group I'm in, I have pics of something new but can not share as I think its best you see it in person tomorrow...which they thought was best and thanked me for not sharing!

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I volunteered in 2019 and saw IICON in my Tuesday afternoon wander about before the gates opened. I took pics on my phone but I said to the Whatsapp Glastonbury group I'm in, I have pics of something new but can not share as I think its best you see it in person tomorrow...which they thought was best and thanked me for not sharing!

Perfect etiquette .

There's going to be loads of new stuff to see this year, stages, areas, layouts. Can't wait.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Perfect etiquette .

There's going to be loads of new stuff to see this year, stages, areas, layouts. Can't wait.

Its also just a representation of having reliable tech at our fingertips now...its the same with other things I go to...sometimes if things have changed at football (could be anything) usually someone will have a picture of it on Twitter pretty quickly!

4 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Just a question on this to everybody.

Do we want photos of new stuff or do want to discover it for ourselves when we get there?

Personally, I'd rather wait until I arrive and I know the festival have asked people not to post photos.

When did the festival ask people not to take / post photos? I love seeing them, anyone who doesn’t should probably avoid this thread and just watch the webcam. 

4 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

When did the festival ask people not to take / post photos? I love seeing them, anyone who doesn’t should probably avoid this thread and just watch the webcam. 

For staff / others who have access before gates open? It's been requested for as long as I'm aware of. Most festivals in the country have some version of that in their staff handbook or equivalent guidance - it's just that it's not always easy to police especially at Glastonbury where there's probably 30,000 plus people on site by Tuesday.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

There are vantage points around Pilton where anyone with a good telephoto lens can still get photos of any top secret surprises if they are that way inclined, GFL would have no right to have those removed.

9 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Once the fest is up and the site is locked down they will be monitoring social media for leaks.

At the moment, when you can still walk through it's impossible to do anything about it.  Once it's crew only, it's a different matter. 

3 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

When did the festival ask people not to take / post photos?

From what I remember the last couple of years they have asked people not to post photos of new / updated areas online.  

I kinda agree with that though.  As much as I love seeing the site come together on the webcam and the photos from peoples runs, certain bits I like to keep a surprise for when I get there - especially with anything new.

8 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

anyone who doesn’t should probably avoid this thread and just watch the webcam

but that's the thing, this is the webcam thread.

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

There are vantage points around Pilton where anyone with a good telephoto lens can still get photos of any top secret surprises if they are that way inclined, GFL would have no right to have those removed.

It would be quite clear if the photos have been taken from within the fenced off site or from Pilton with a massive lens, wouldn't it?