Glastocam!

pauladam

3 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Think it was a pink/faded red colour

Standard Red Oxide with some weathering. Same as the jib recently pictured so likely to be the same one.

The next question is where has the jib been since 2019 and why has it only just come out of hiding

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Standard Red Oxide with some weathering. Same as the jib recently pictured so likely to be the same one.

The next question is where has the jib been since 2019 and why has it only just come out of hiding

See below (still can’t work out how to rotate)71DD657F-A6ED-4741-8317-B9BBD642770A.thumb.jpeg.855e8b9a4169f60e4551e074850ccf5a.jpeg:

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I’d have thought they’d paint the other part of the crane if they intended to use it. Looks like they’ve just relocated it to be in the same place as the base part. Maybe for collection? 

The other part was just painted green to blend in, no need to paint any part they didn’t want to remain up permanently.

1 hour ago, Sku said:

Would be pretty strange to leave it standing for 3 years, only to remove it right before the next festival.

If they have got away without removing it this long, I really don't understand why they would rush to remove it now. One final outing at least, since it survived this long already. It makes sense.

It would be disappointing it goes only to be replaced by the spider. I loved that spider, but it is a bit old hat now. It's nowhere near big enough for the field/crowd size. And there are some pretty big acts rumoured this year.

The spider is great if you are directly under it, but rubbish for everyone else who can't get close. The crane might not be as exciting, but it's a pretty large visual beacon that can be seen by everyone. And I'm sure they have had some time to learn lessons, and improve the show.

I’m in the same camp the spider is now pretty meh. Bladdy cool the first couple of years and over hyped by everyone since. Standing under Pangea last year (which was the first I’d visited Arcadia for several years) gave me the same buzz that walking round the corner and seeing the Arcadia Spectacular did years ago. If it goes hopefully what ever replaces it in the future is unique. 

Edited by Yeo-vile idiot

Just now, kalifire said:

I’d have thought they’d paint the other part of the crane if they intended to use it. Looks like they’ve just relocated it to be in the same place as the base part. Maybe for collection? 

different parts of the farm ...ive offered them £10 scrap metal and im off to collect it now , just look for a pushbike and trailer on the cam 

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I must be one of the few who thought Pangea in its 2019 form was a bit rubbish, then. Maybe if the moon had worked it would have been cool but as it was, a crane with lights attached to it, I didn’t think it was that great. 

I'm with you on this.  All a bit meh.  Esp compared to the spider IMO. 

Having said that, they needed to change something.  As others have said, if you weren't inside the speaker ring it was a bit meh as a stage/venue 

10 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Sorry @Kizzie, I have taken myself outside and given myself a good talking to, should have realised that weird obsessives pay for the efestivals estate and grounds. And big scarves.

Are we seeing you at the ETC this year?

Oh yes, the upkeep of the eFestivals estate and grounds, quite right too.

Don't think I'll be at the ETC  this year, Neil is doing it though, he's getting a lift, don't think there's room for me in the car.  

35 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Oh yes, the upkeep of the eFestivals estate and grounds, quite right too.

Don't think I'll be at the ETC  this year, Neil is doing it though, he's getting a lift, don't think there's room for me in the car.  

If Neil is on wheels he can use the electric lift thingy that the club has installed to get upstairs. Not sure if anyone has used it yet.

22 hours ago, kalifire said:

I must be one of the few who thought Pangea in its 2019 form was a bit rubbish, then. Maybe if the moon had worked it would have been cool but as it was, a crane with lights attached to it, I didn’t think it was that great. 

This is the general impression I've got from most people posting about it on this forum so I definitely don't think you're alone. 

I'm disappointed to see it go but mainly because I was really excited to see how it would evolve over the years. 2019 was year one of a plan and who knows what might have come of it. 

I love the Spider but Arcadia was definitely ready for something new; hopefully they'll have something up their sleeves for 2023.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:51 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, not happening today, is it? 

I'm starting to think that the festival have purposely thrown some rumours out to muddy the waters. The info regarding the removal this week came directly from a very well-placed source.

I heard some other outlandish stuff last night that I'm not going to repeat. Again, it came from within the organisation but it's so nuts, it can't be true.

You can’t drop that crumb from the table and say no more. Please expand - or maybe tell me next Saturday… 

On 4/22/2022 at 11:58 AM, Sku said:

Yes, the jib part of the crane has been visible on the webcam for at least a week now, and was even pointed out in this thread when it was delivered. Yet the "it's being removed" rumours persisted.

Funny how a rumour can take hold, when the facts are staring you in the face on the webcam.

Was that my post? 

On 4/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, not happening today, is it? 

I'm starting to think that the festival have purposely thrown some rumours out to muddy the waters. The info regarding the removal this week came directly from a very well-placed source.

I heard some other outlandish stuff last night that I'm not going to repeat. Again, it came from within the organisation but it's so nuts, it can't be true.

Does the outlandish stuff  involve removing the base to satisfy the failed planning app. But putting it straight back up again under a temp application? Heard that one yesterday as a possibility from someone local

10 minutes ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

Does the outlandish stuff  involve removing the base to satisfy the failed planning app. But putting it straight back up again under a temp application? Heard that one yesterday as a possibility from someone local

I doubt that because of costs involved … the expense of the removal and re assembly is a factor 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I doubt that because of costs involved … the expense of the removal and re assembly is a factor 

They would need to bring in a portable crane to both disassemble the base and assemble the rest of the crane. 

Shouldn’t be hard to take the base off it’s footings, take some pics of it “disassembled” and put it all back while the portable crane is on site to rebuild the whole crane

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

They would need to bring in a portable crane to both disassemble the base and assemble the rest of the crane. 

Shouldn’t be hard to take the base off it’s footings, take some pics of it “disassembled” and put it all back while the portable crane is on site to rebuild the whole crane

Still confident it’s going 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Thats the reason it’s going!