Glastocam!

pauladam

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Jne___ said:

Snow!!

F7031DE8-A3FB-4B51-9E20-C33B436571B1.jpeg

it was either the winter of 1986 or the winter of 1987 - my ex and I drove from London {Photo is from Glastonbury  while we were watching the Cure on the Saturday evening 1986}  and we stopped to take some shots - {sadly all my colour paper photos were stolen Years ago but I still have the 35mm negatives and if I ever find time I will scan them into a PC} it was very weird to walk though the site when it was completely empty and to see it covered in Snow was so weird. 

We got up on the Pyramid stage and found the room under the stage - not as plush as we had imagined - no fancy seating - there was some old Civil service chairs { must have been a bulk buy } and a few old tables - we took some shots from the stage so if I ever find the right negatives I will scan them. Real shame that stage burnt down in 1994

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0085cht

1986_o.thumb.jpg.fc49e02568730bf76553b30b2a7f9507.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

it was either the winter of 1986 or the winter of 1987 - my ex and I drove from London {Photo is from Glastonbury  while we were watching the Cure on the Saturday evening 1986}  and we stopped to take some shots - {sadly all my colour paper photos were stolen Years ago but I still have the 35mm negatives and if I ever find time I will scan them into a PC} it was very weird to walk though the site when it was completely empty and to see it covered in Snow was so weird. 

We got up on the Pyramid stage and found the room under the stage - not as plush as we had imagined - no fancy seating - there was some old Civil service chairs { must have been a bulk buy } and a few old tables - we took some shots from the stage so if I ever find the right negatives I will scan them. Real shame that stage burnt down in 1994

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0085cht

1986_o.thumb.jpg.fc49e02568730bf76553b30b2a7f9507.jpg

Nice picture but Kestrel lager! ?  Awful weak stuff.😉

22 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Nice picture but Kestrel lager! ?  Awful weak stuff.😉

Even although I was born in Glasgow I have never been a big drinker and in fact the last time I was drunk was in 1974 {at my 21st birthday party hence how I can work out the date} so I am not keen on strong lager so I would have to be crazy to buy stronger lager.

We were not to know that the Bar concession was giving to the WBC in 1986 at Glastonbury {one of their first bars taking in 1986 and at the bottom the WBC Crew site} hence why we brought our own cans with us. Funny enough I lived in Wandsworth at the time and discovered the WBC were being run by BWTUC {Battersea and Wandsworth Trades Union Council} and that is how I got involved nearly 33 years ago with them in 1988.

measurestaken.thumb.jpg.b1a4b71f492a6aa3d17a60cd416cedd1.jpgwbc-86-cabin.thumb.jpg.fbab9f256aff8a3ce244c4b8e1772b3a.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Even although I was born in Glasgow I have never been a big drinker and in fact the last time I was drunk was in 1974 {at my 21st birthday party hence how I can work out the date} so I am not keen on strong lager so I would have to be crazy to buy stronger lager.

We were not to know that the Bar concession was giving to the WBC in 1986 at Glastonbury {one of their first bars taking in 1986 and at the bottom the WBC Crew site} hence why we brought our own cans with us. Funny enough I lived in Wandsworth at the time and discovered the WBC were being run by BWTUC {Battersea and Wandsworth Trades Union Council} and that is how I got involved nearly 33 years ago with them in 1988.

measurestaken.thumb.jpg.b1a4b71f492a6aa3d17a60cd416cedd1.jpgwbc-86-cabin.thumb.jpg.fbab9f256aff8a3ce244c4b8e1772b3a.jpg

Yup, despite my tongue in cheek comment I am very much like you and quite incredibly the worst I have ever been was also my 21st , drinks were  spiked, Since then I’ve always had 4 pint limit!  The Bread and Roses is the Glasto venue we frequent the most.  Love the atmosphere and the live bands in there.

19 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yup, despite my tongue in cheek comment I am very much like you and quite incredibly the worst I have ever been was also my 21st , drinks were  spiked, Since then I’ve always had 4 pint limit!  The Bread and Roses is the Glasto venue we frequent the most.  Love the atmosphere and the live bands in there.

sorry to read that - my drink was certainly not spiked when I was 21 but I got extremely drunk so I made my mind up never to get drunk again. 

I never got down to the Bread and Roses in 2019 as I cant walk far - the crew site is near Gate D so its a fair old tramp - such a shame as I have knowing the Tent Manager for about 25 years. I think ' its the only WBC Bar that I have never worked in ' but these days I work in the Crew Bar as its not far to walk + I can make up my own Team shifts { impossible to do that in any other bar } 

photos -  Bread and Roses on the Tuesday in 2011 and the other two Tow & Hitch - Arcadia Crew Bar on the Tuesday in 2019

We just have to hope things get back to normal next year

2011-wbc-20.thumb.jpg.234a0615fdb48618a0ae7c6e646c6464.jpg018840df7.thumb.jpg.7a5f9a2605d837bcf26781a03701a2b9.jpg018840df9.thumb.jpg.8dd1dbce6db8bdc79b072d38e608d44d.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I never got down to the Bread and Roses in 2019

It’s strange, not really any different from the other bars but we seem to have a connection with it, maybe the name which  is a reference to an old trade union song that celebrates the role women played in the union movement is what attracted us initially! Think it’s associated with a similar London based pub. 

9 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

My fav bar is Avalon Inn. Was a very special moment to be able to by my son his first legal pint there, as he turned 18 just prior to the 2019 festival.

5EE70C4B-E8C8-48B0-BBC0-614CD00314CF.jpeg

love this....I first took my daughters in 2009 aged 18 and 15.. We have shared many a drink there since in a family bonding styli...

On 1/26/2021 at 11:33 AM, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s strange, not really any different from the other bars but we seem to have a connection with it, maybe the name which  is a reference to an old trade union song that celebrates the role women played in the union movement is what attracted us initially! Think it’s associated with a similar London based pub. 

you mean The Bread & Roses 68 Clapham Manor Street SW4 6DZ

its a freehold Pub owned by BWTUC {Battersea and Wandsworth Trades Union Council} who on 14 May 1980 organised a free open air festival and running a bar on Clapham Common. For the next five years BWTUC ran bars and festivals in Battersea Park but it was not until 1985 they set up The Workers Beer Company to be the trading arm of BWTUC.

Melvin Benn used to be the president of BWTUC { although they now have a Chairman and not a president }

I was told that at one of these events is how Michael Eavis first met BWTUC and why they were asked down to run some of the bars at Glastonbury.

I used to live in Wandsworth and Clapham Common has vastly changed over the years - its a shame the Pub is not closer to the high road. 

I was there on the launch night { it took over two years to renovate }

3 shots of the back of the Pub - the two guys who I am sitting with - guy on the left runs the BWTUC political committee and the guy at the back used to run the WBC office { you may recognise him as he is the Tent manager for the Glastonbury  Bread & Roses Bar } - last shot - as you can see there was a fair number there.

Before they started the  theatre that upstairs room was used for WBC meetings

--ac0c.jpg.2b1ce91fb7a758bf891c92405e64f1fc.jpg--abc0c.thumb.jpg.c0f1f0791ee4b37074c9018783244ba6.jpg--abc0c2.thumb.jpg.36fa087a895c80e8554a72a2fc7c76be.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

its a freehold Pub owned by BWTUC {Battersea and Wandsworth Trades Union Council} who on 14 May 1980 organised a free open air festival and running a bar on Clapham Common. For the next five years BWTUC ran bars and festivals in Battersea Park but it was not until 1985 they set up The Workers Beer Company to be the trading arm of BWTUC.

Melvin Benn used to be the president of BWTUC { although they now have a Chairman and not a president }

I was told that at one of these events is how Michael Eavis first met BWTUC and why they were asked down to run some of the bars at Glastonbury.

I used to live in Wandsworth and Clapham Common has vastly changed over the years - its a shame the Pub is not closer to the high road. 

3 shots of the back of the Pub - the two guys who I am sitting with - guy on the left runs the BWTUC political committee and the guy at the back used to run the WBC office { you may recognise him as he is the Tent manager for the Glastonbury  Bread & Roses Bar } - last shot - as you can see there was a fair number there.

--ac0c.jpg.2b1ce91fb7a758bf891c92405e64f1fc.jpg--abc0c.thumb.jpg.c0f1f0791ee4b37074c9018783244ba6.jpg--abc0c2.thumb.jpg.36fa087a895c80e8554a72a2fc7c76be.jpg

Is it just me or is anyone else starting to find photos of people grouped together a bit 'alien'?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Is it just me or is anyone else starting to find photos of people grouped together a bit 'alien'?

That format seems outmoded now. I envisage that future humanity, will be well spaced and fashionably aloof and distant. At first, I felt that to be a loss. But now I’m embracing this, future of social humanity, with gusto.😷

Edited by stt11
Punctuation
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Thanks for that, the pictures are just as I imagined it would be like! The B and R at the festival is situated in a great spot, main stages nearby, decent outside area and good bands such as the Leylines playing live.  Just hope it’s back next year.

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thanks for that, the pictures are just as I imagined it would be like! The B and R at the festival is situated in a great spot, main stages nearby, decent outside area and good bands such as the Leylines playing live.  Just hope it’s back next year.

Impossible to know at this stage if Glastonbury will be held or not

The Clapham Pub also has its own stage on the ground floor

They also took out a lease for a second Pub near Kings Cross ' they thought had a music licence ' but then discovered it did not - all sorts of legal issues and in the end they pulled out.

this is the back part of the bar - note the banner on the wall - its the BWTUC Banner - that goes with us when we are at demonstrations - we had to fly to Dublin for the annual Kells convention { its all connected to Jim Connell - who wrote  "The Red Flag" } and I thought we would never get it on the plane but they have a oversize area at Gatwick so we did get it over.

dscf1749-e_1_orig.thumb.jpg.850d110c649c0be19ab3b3ad4a405531.jpgimg-5266_orig.thumb.jpg.b99147cd5827c10cfac69e1f1c3ce670.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bread and roses is usually our meet up place during the festival but always there 12 o'clock Fri... By then all our lot is in and we start off from there.. 

Mind you due to the lack of tickets for the last few we've just stayed up at camp.... I know its all one for all and all for one and let new blood go BUT it really doesn't feel right that people who have been going every year for over 20 years miss out... I think after EEs takes total control its going to be a very different event.... And I say event because Leeds, Reading, iow are events... Glastonbury is a fucking experience and way of life one which not all the kids that go will get until they have done those other events...... THEN they will GET it... 

Yakk yakking over old sons 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Bread and roses is usually our meet up place during the festival but always there 12 o'clock Fri... By then all our lot is in and we start off from there.. 

Mind you due to the lack of tickets for the last few we've just stayed up at camp.... I know its all one for all and all for one and let new blood go BUT it really doesn't feel right that people who have been going every year for over 20 years miss out... I think after EEs takes total control its going to be a very different event.... And I say event because Leeds, Reading, iow are events... Glastonbury is a fucking experience and way of life one which not all the kids that go will get until they have done those other events...... THEN they will GET it... 

Yakk yakking over old sons 

So your saying tickets are wasted on new people but you just stay by your tent?

• Like 1

I was just ranting.. But no I don't stay but tent.. I cou do its on the front row on row mead so could just watch pyramid stage.. I ment... Not very well as usual.... That instead of meeting up with a big lot of people at the bread and roses we meet up at camp.. Just due to the lack of people getting tickets nowadays what with demand for the festival... Which is one of the reasons why I'm considering calling it a day at glasto and maybe doing some other festivals where our group can at least all go... I think beautiful days is the next one where over half our lot will attend... Others going to boom.. Our group has sort of split due to the death of our friend a few years ago... You know how it is friend dies.. RIP.. and a few years later she's going out with a friend who was in a relationship blar blar blar.. Anyway life has to move on.. 

As for EE lovely messages out today hopefully it gets to go ahead and some on here get to go