Glastocam!

pauladam

53 minutes ago, nathy137 said:

We've got the crane cab being put on top now at Pangea!

Pangea.jpg.35eac5831f7f23e3566f03ad625bc0ce.jpg

^ Just beat me to it!

This is going to blow people away, I can't wait to see the finished structure it's going to be massive 

1 minute ago, Dave_c said:

This is going to blow people away, I can't wait to see the finished structure it's going to be massive 

50 metres high when finished according to the Arcadia Pangea announcement on TOS

Just now, Northtim said:

That’s a dire battery and backup situation!

I knew that would give cause for comment ... backup to iCloud is automatic ... and the battery situation has been like that for a week ... not like a mobile where I would struggle if its lower than 60 % :) 

32 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Still no idea where Arcadia are going with this. The symbol on the map is circular - is that a clue?

Its a big old crane with arms dangling off it with dancers and fire and explosions at a guess. I'm sure it'll all be safe ?

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Still no idea where Arcadia are going with this. The symbol on the map is circular - is that a clue?

The blurb says it's going to be 50m tall and will incorporate an old RAF radome cover - i.e. those golf ball radar things.  The radomes at RAF Fylingdales were 40m high before they were replaced with rectangular things.  If, for example, they had got hold of a Fylingdales-sized radome, and mounted it 10m off the ground, that would be a spectacle to match the spider.  (I doubt they'd be able to do anything on this scale though - a more realistic project would be a smaller radome mounted up high with other stuff mounted below it.)  They're complicated geodesic constructions, and at that size they're going to be heavy.  It would definitely need something like that crane base to keep it supported in the wind etc.  I don't reckon they'd want to mess around too much with the golf-ball for structural reasons, so perhaps they're going to stick a spherical projector inside it, and maybe have a few flame throwers or stage electricals sticking out of it?  That would tie in with the other theme in the blurb - they claim it will be available for young artists to express themselves in future years, (i.e. putting together projection displays?)

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

Could the radomes be on the ground with stuff projected from the inside?  And other stuff suspended from the crane. How about a stage hanging from the crane with all of the flame throwers and gubbins underneath swooping over the revellers

A stage hanging from the crane doesn't sound realistic ? Big heavy structures like a stage being dangled over a crowd by a crane sounds a like a no no to me in terms of health and safety. I'm very curious to see what they come up with though, it's impressively massive already.

39 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

A stage hanging from the crane doesn't sound realistic ? Big heavy structures like a stage being dangled over a crowd by a crane sounds a like a no no to me in terms of health and safety. I'm very curious to see what they come up with though, it's impressively massive already.

Yep, any personnel beneath a suspended crane load is a big fat no! More likely the crane tower is a support for something or if it used for suspending anything it will be cordoned off underneath. 50 metres high is massive though. Sure it will be amazing but I get the feeling that it's going to grow into something special over the years. Surely the main body of the crane will be a permanent fixture on the site now with all the foundations that have gone in?

On 5/23/2019 at 9:17 PM, keepad said:

I might have to go and have quick walk around again this weekend before its gets busy.

I am tempted to do this tomorrow.

Does anyone know if we’re still allowed or have the “please don’t enter the site” signs gone up?

3 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Yep, any personnel beneath a suspended crane load is a big fat no! More likely the crane tower is a support for something or if it used for suspending anything it will be cordoned off underneath. 50 metres high is massive though. Sure it will be amazing but I get the feeling that it's going to grow into something special over the years. Surely the main body of the crane will be a permanent fixture on the site now with all the foundations that have gone in?

would it then not have needed planning consent ?

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

would it then not have needed planning consent ?

I would think so. Is there anywhere that says it hasn't? I would have thought it would have needed planning permission anyway with the size of the thing?

Just now, MilkyJoe said:

I would think so. Is there anywhere that says it hasn't? I would have thought it would have needed planning permission anyway with the size of the thing?

aren't they allowed for a limited period of time  without planning ?...... I would have thought the eagle eyed would have spotted that by now though if it were needed and becomes a permanent structure 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

aren't they allowed for a limited period of time  without planning ?...... I would have thought the eagle eyed would have spotted that by now though if it were needed and becomes a permanent structure 

I must say I have absolutely no idea but yeah I'm sure somebody would have picked up on a planning application having gone in by now. I always thought planning was required over a certain height but I guess that would change for a temporary installation or block 9 etc. would have to have permits and stuff in place too. And I guess it would only be a case of removing the bolts to dismantle the body.

1 minute ago, MilkyJoe said:

I must say I have absolutely no idea but yeah I'm sure somebody would have picked up on a planning application having gone in by now. I always thought planning was required over a certain height but I guess that would change for a temporary installation or block 9 etc. would have to have permits and stuff in place too. And I guess it would only be a case of removing the bolts to dismantle the body.

and then just putting it in the shed in Michaels back garden :) 

28 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Carmageddon had planning permission, so I would have thought Pangea would too.