Glastocam!

pauladam

So if I wanted to put a webcam on my roof looking into my street, I would have to get all the neighbours permission first? I don't think so

If someone complained to the council that your camera was looking into their property they could make you take it down. My understanding is that the only time you don't implicitly need permission is the view from your front door. Correct me if I'm wrong, mind, this is just what I've been told.

So if I wanted to put a webcam on my roof looking into my street, I would have to get all the neighbours permission first? I don't think so

your street is public land.

if you want to put a camera in your back garden pointing directly into your neighbour's garden, you certainly wouldn't be entitled.

i do love this "oh well you can put up cameras anywhere so screw getting their permission" attitude some in here seem to have.

maybe Michael and the people at the farm are being courteous to their neighbours whose land/homes this camera is able to see....

When it was up yesterday you could go back to around the 9th April in the archive view.

This covered a much wider panorama than the later images and at higher resolution. Also looked like they had played around with blurring out the view of the farm in the foreground. Guess they where trying to confine the view to the main site rather than overlooking neighbors property, may also be issues with having a level of detail that allows you to identify individuals.

Hope they can get all the agreements sorted out soon.

Edit: Webcam company's site has some pretty cool examples of what the camera can do https://www.panomax.com/index_en.html

Edited by I am Jon

Any of the public though?

the public are often invited to give their views or lodge objections through public meetings or through representatives etc. on matters like this.

i don't know if every single member of the public in the area is individually contacted, i doubt it, as that would be a complete clusterfuck.

Edited by ghostdancer1

your street is public land.

if you want to put a camera in your back garden pointing directly into your neighbour's garden, you certainly wouldn't be entitled.

i do love this "oh well you can put up cameras anywhere so screw getting their permission" attitude some in here seem to have.

maybe Michael and the people at the farm are being courteous to their neighbours whose land/homes this camera is able to see....

When I lived at the top of West Hill in Wandsworth, there used to be a CCTV camera on a pole in the street outside that was intended to look up and down the main street. It was exactly the height of my first floor flat window and probably about 10-15m away. It would frequently swivel round and point either up or down the street but sometimes would stop half way, pointing straight into my flat window (and one or two other flat windows as well). Bugger all I could do about that invasion of privacy and I spent most of my time there with the curtains drawn.... Maybe I should have done a Joe Strummer on it!

Fair enough that private individuals should seek neighbours approval (though I bet many who buy those home CCTV security sets rarely bother), and fair play that ME and / or BBC are being respectful to the residents of Pilton. They council / police would likely not bother for theirs.

All images of people taken by CCTV cameras are covered by the Data Protection Act, the ICO fan fine organisations up to £500k for DPA breaches so its understandable that they want to ensure what they are doing is legal.

When I lived at the top of West Hill in Wandsworth, there used to be a CCTV camera on a pole in the street outside that was intended to look up and down the main street. It was exactly the height of my first floor flat window and probably about 10-15m away. It would frequently swivel round and point either up or down the street but sometimes would stop half way, pointing straight into my flat window (and one or two other flat windows as well). Bugger all I could do about that invasion of privacy and I spent most of my time there with the curtains drawn.... Maybe I should have done a Joe Strummer on it!

Fair enough that private individuals should seek neighbours approval (though I bet many who buy those home CCTV security sets rarely bother), and fair play that ME and / or BBC are being respectful to the residents of Pilton. They council / police would likely not bother for theirs.

I don't know if it is different for other councils but I’ve been in the CCTV room for our local council and if a camera points into a persons property it has a black square appear when the camera goes over it, plus every time the operator points the camera into the property they have to make a log to say when it happened and why the did it

So if it’s the same for them, your were probably a massive pain in the arse for them, every time that camera pointed at you they couldn’t see but still had to make a note