SLAVES!

EZYSEY

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Are You Satisfied? was a great album but still nothing too special. Just a bit of fun but I preferred Sugar Coated Bitter Truth (the album not the song) as it seemed to have more energy and more raw in my opinion. Still may get a ticket for the rescheduled Sheffield show, just depends on the cash and if I can be bothered.

Anyway also if you guys are on about it Drenge > Slaves > Royal Blood. I just to really enjoy Royal Blood but they did a bit boring really quickly and I've never really listened to Sleafod Mods so I can't comment on them.

Edited by justanothername

The album sounds a little rushed; you can tell which songs they had laying about for a while and which ones they wrote to fill out the album

But still, when the record hits its peaks it's an absolute ton of fun

Slaves are heaps better live than Drenge in my experience, although I have only seen Drenge twice and those weren't at headline shows

I really enjoy Royal Blood live however after the amount of times I saw them over the past year I'm not too fussed about seeing them until they release some more material

Edited by rawaudioinput

Here's my opinion;

Slaves - Great

Drenge - Fantastic

Royal Blood - Brilliant

Sleaford Mods - Joke

I really REALLY enjoy the first 3... But Sleaford Mods? I can't get my head around them... It's basically just ranting to a backing track... They look like 45 year old cokeheads from your local pisshouse as well.

I have no idea how they've made it any further bigger than playing to 5 people in their local pub, let alone Glastonbury and decent sized venues.

Leaving aside the musical merits of SLAVES (the capitals seem important) for now, I just wanted to say that despite their rapid ascent they still seem top blokes. As I mentioned on another thread, my 15 year old daughter is trying to get into gig promoting and chanced her arm about 4/5 months ago (just after we saw them support Jamie T) by writing to them directly and asking them to play a gig for her.

To her (and my) amazement they wrote back directly saying they'd try and make it happen because they liked her attitude. After a bit of back and forth with their manager/tour team, they have given her their Glastonbury warm-up show and are coming playing the pub at the end of our road on Thursday 25th June. We're only covering their costs and they haven't made any particular demands - even letting my two younger children (and a bunch of their mates) who love the band but aren't allowed in the gig come along to the soundcheck.

Given how they've blown up since they agreed to play, the 180 tickets sold out in minutes and she has been flooded with demand for tickets. Should be a great night.

Ironically, her next gig looks like it could be Drenge!

You are, of course, correct as ever dental.

I conveniently omitted to say that they'd added their bassist, purely to include them in the Drenge>SLAVES>Royal Blood debate!

Is it just me, or are Royal Blood a bit rubbish?

Ben

I don't see what the hype around Royal blood is. Saw then last year and I didn't really enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't stand Slaves at all. They seemingly try so hard to be "Punk" yet manage to say nothing of note throughout the album. Lots of loose/meaningless criticisms of modern life. Telling everyone in London to "cheer up"...talking about traffic...edgy.

Comparisons between them and Drenge/Royal Blood seem bizarre, and I can't quite see why anyone's comparing them. They're a two-piece and that's pretty much it. Drenge/Royal Blood both infinitely better live, and Drenge's latest album is far better IMO.

Don't care much for Sleaford Mods either, but with them I get the impression that everything they say/do is at least genuine, and not part of some kind of label-encouraged "Punk" act.

I saw Slaves before they got signed and found them a bit gimmicky. I thought the stand-up singing drummer was detrimental to their music, for example. And they started in suits and stripped down as they played which also seemed a bit pointless. I thought some of their songs were good though,  plus they definitely had energy and didn't seem to take themselves too seriously (though that seems an oxymoron given what I've just said). I saw them at a Baxter Dury gig too so they clearly have good taste. I'd give them a general thumbs up but I'll get sick of them soon, as I had by the end of that gig.

Edited by Bradders

Comparisons between them and Drenge/Royal Blood seem bizarre, and I can't quite see why anyone's comparing them. They're a two-piece and that's pretty much it.

Yeah people seem to do that with two-pieces for some reason. I think they all sound distinctly different from each other.

Drenge aren't even a two-piece any more.