Headliners 2016

thewayiam

Even the Mumfords had their own little thread that chugged along under the radar for a few months, with the sheepish participants politely requesting that people leave them to enjoy their grubby little proclivities in peace. I suppose Adele has the odd endorsement from CalGon, and a few others grumbling that their partner is making them go.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Even the Mumfords had their own little thread that chugged along under the radar for a few months, with the sheepish participants politely requesting that people leave them to enjoy their grubby little proclivities in peace. I suppose Adele has the odd endorsement from CalGon, and a few others grumbling that their partner is making them go.

My oh my oh my

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

JP 2010 - it was glorious man! Even then I knew it wasn't cool, but just for a moment, I didn't care and really enjoyed them.

am guilty too...the first record had me, and I caught that JP set in the afternoon and at the time i thought it was one of the better JP sets i'd seen at Glasto if you managed to get into the tent and enjoy it...Black Keys right after too, not knowing i was missing 2/5 of Radiohead up at the Park...perceptions change though...

1 minute ago, tevaburger said:

am guilty too...the first record had me, and I caught that JP set in the afternoon and at the time i thought it was one of the better JP sets i'd seen at Glasto if you managed to get into the tent and enjoy it...Black Keys right after too, not knowing i was missing 2/5 of Radiohead up at the Park...perceptions change though...

Never mind guilt. That was a very good gig. The album had been out just about long enough for everyone to learn the words, but not quite long enough for them to becomen insufferable.

Wicked atmosphere in the tent, probably my best gig of that festival, even if I never listen to them now.

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Never mind guilt. That was a very good gig. The album had been out just about long enough for everyone to learn the words, but not quite long enough for them to becomen insufferable.

Wicked atmosphere in the tent, probably my best gig of that festival, even if I never listen to them now.

spot on, couldn't have said it better...don't touch the record now and it was my missus who first started telling me to "stop playing that! have heard it enough already" which was around that time actually

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Whilst my love for a tier-1 pyramid headline performance remains as strong as ever, it's good for the fest in general that there's so little interest in the top of the bill. 

there's interest, just not so much on this forum. i'd argue that Muse, Adele and Coldplay will have at least one of the biggest collective headliner crowds the festival has seen (Muse obviously being the slightly weaker link in that trio but not by much). in a decade when we've had Arcade Fire and Metallica in one year this year looks positively massive

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

there's interest, just not so much on this forum. i'd argue that Muse, Adele and Coldplay will have at least one of the biggest collective headliner crowds the festival has seen (Muse obviously being the slightly weaker link in that trio but not by much). in a decade when we've had Arcade Fire and Metallica in one year this year looks positively massive

Far, far more interesting bookings, both of them.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

interesting? yes. crowd pleasing and good for ratings and media? not so much

It's very hard to measure out prove, but my feeling is that while Coldplay may leave more people merely pleased, Metallica and Arcade Fire left more people delighted. Fewer fans in total, but more devoted.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Interesting" is still subjective.  Metallica I'll grant you, but Adele's first ever big festival headlining show arguably trumps Arcade Fire's umpteenth, showcasing a terrible new album.

You take that back! I'm a huge fan of Reflektor and I genuinely thought their headlining performance was one of the best I've seen at the festival. From where I was in the crowd, everyone was having a fantastic time. It had a carnival atmosphere! 

10 minutes ago, LeeGalvin said:

You take that back! I'm a huge fan of Reflektor and I genuinely thought their headlining performance was one of the best I've seen at the festival. From where I was in the crowd, everyone was having a fantastic time. It had a carnival atmosphere! 

I thought they were brilliant on that Friday night after Elbow, and I didn't  know their stuff very well.

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's very hard to measure out prove, but my feeling is that while Coldplay may leave more people merely pleased, Metallica and Arcade Fire left more people delighted. Fewer fans in total, but more devoted.

Tbh I didnt like Arcade Fire at all :p, not my thing

Youre right tho that most of the crowd seemed to be having a great time!

59 minutes ago, LeeGalvin said:

Their 2014 Glastonbury set is towards the lower end of my most enjoyed festival headliner sets. Their Reading 2010 show is vying for 1st place. Different strokes 'n' all that.

Edited by Winslow Leach