Potential first time

abcdefg

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at festivals to go to this year. I've previously been to Leeds twice but this year the lineup isn't for me and I'm thinking of something slightly different. I was wondering if people could give me their opinions on Bestival? Also, am I right that there are 2 more headliners to be announced? And will many more large ish acts be announced? Thanks

Best festival in the UK, that's why it's called Bestival.

Beautiful site that makes Leeds look like Hiroshima, on the whole great people & a great atmosphere, loads to do without the massive walks in between like at Glastonbury, live music from big names all night, pretty easy going re. taking your own alcohol into the arena. Can't recommend it enough.

What he said.

Plus:

Yes, only two headliners have been announced as such (Thu: Underworld; Sat: The Chemical Brothers), though we now know that Muse are headlining either the Friday or the Sunday. (It could also be the case that Duran Duran have been quietly promoted to Friday headliner, but we're semi-guessing there.) (Incidentally, Underworld's set will be in the Big Top because the main stage doesn't open until Friday.)

As for "large" acts, I'd expect another 3 or 4, but Bestival really isn't about getting loads of big names that everyone's heard of. As long as you're into a broad range of genres and have your finger relatively on the pulse of what's new and current, you'll find more than enough to keep you busy all weekend.

Also, it's about a thousand times more pleasant an experience than Leeds Festival.

Another first timer here, what are the security measures like getting into the festival? There'll be a few underage people in my group this year who'll undoubtedly want to bring booze with them, will they have any trouble?

Another first timer here, what are the security measures like getting into the festival? There'll be a few underage people in my group this year who'll undoubtedly want to bring booze with them, will they have any trouble?

I thought that under 18s need to have an over 30 year old guardian or something? Or I might be completely making that up. Buy a sack truck and load yours and their beers onto it. I've never been ID'd at the gate (and I've got a baby face). I wouldn't imagine they would have any problem.

Back to the main topic conversation. Bestival is my favourite festival by a long way. It's the last party of the summer, the people are great, there's good things to see and do outside of the music. It's brilliant. The site layout is so good as well so you can nip to and from bands easy.

DON'T FORGET TO DO FANCY DRESS!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at festivals to go to this year. I've previously been to Leeds twice but this year the lineup isn't for me and I'm thinking of something slightly different. I was wondering if people could give me their opinions on Bestival? Also, am I right that there are 2 more headliners to be announced? And will many more large ish acts be announced? Thanks

Makes Leeds look like shit.

Muse are on of the other headliners to be announced and a rumoured act for the final headline is Kylie Minoque

I'm not sure what other big names could come up but the festival is stunning I'm 100% recommend going even if you think the lineup is a bit meh.

Its brilliant, really relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Its setup is great, its easy to get between places/pop back to your tent (and I was at in one of the campsites furthermost out last year!). Decent food offer if you look around to.

Tbh the only ballache is the traveling to get there (wouldn't advise just rocking up for the Hovercraft using an anytime train ticket :P)

Yep as others have said, it's brilliant really. Some of the best weekends of my life have been spent there and it seems like every single person there is absolutely beautiful haha

Only issue is getting there, the train to Southampton is absolutely jam packed, not sure why they dont ever put any extra carriages on!

Book your train ticket to Ryde Pier & you get the slow ferry included then its just another £10 or something for the shuttle bus return. Keep it as an open return.

Security can be strict at the entrance gates but once you are in it is very lax at the arena entrances. Never been stopped & have had cans visible, although there's a comedy & a few other tents & stages outside the arena in the campsite you can bring your own booze to.

Food is great. Lots of choice & lots of independant stalls rather than your generic burger vans. They had a Wagamama's one year which was interesting but I believe that's gone.

Lovely beautiful location & never had a bad day's weather, always very sunny. Plenty of space in the campsite.

It's also easily the loudest festival I have been too except maybe the odd Glasto act, excellent bassline on the main stage for dance acts, Big Top can be funny but I think it's down to where you stand.

Everyone is gorgeous.

Saturday is a fancy dress must & the closing party on the Sunday is always spectacular.

Edited by Couchy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, can't speak highly of Bestival enough!

Been to Reading myself a couple of years ago and though some aspects I loved the one thing that I really hated was everything ending by midnight...

Went to Creamfields last year and got a taste of music ending at 4am but then went to Bestival and got a consistent taste from Thursday to Sunday of late finishes. The musics great; a fantastic balance between band and dj / producer and also very excited by the introduction of Shitfaced Shakespeare.

As people have already mentioned the layout is spectacular and in general I'd just recommend it!

I have been to over 20 different festivals in 6 different countries. Many of them have their own quirkiness or if not will have a stellar line up to compensate.

Some don't live up to expectations, Reading is a great example, it has a small compact arena but nothing much else to do when the music stops.

Bestival on the other hand is my second favourite festival (second only to Glastonbury). At both of these festivals, not only do you generally get an amazing and diverse line up, it is when the main stages finish that the magic really starts. Have a wonder, get lost, visit as many areas as you can, talk to people, have fun and be prepared not to sleep very much!

As with Glastonbury, Bestival is a place where you could not see one band and yet still have the best weekend of your life,

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more with all of the above.

Just got back from my first Glastonbury and Bestival is still up there as one of the best festivals I have been to.

Obviously it is smaller with less acts and not as many 'huge' names as glasto but it works to the same principles. Its a festival that cares about its visitors and doesn't just see them as ways to make money. The experience is top quality and really is up there with Glastonbury, what it lacks in bigger names it makes up for with compactness and smaller distances between stages. I couldn't recommend enough.