To the people who rock out the boots not wellies

Keto

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lock-ups take anything, I believe. Even your pet otter.

Not strictly true as a couple in front of us a few years ago plonked a young child circa 3 months old on the counter and said to the guy behind the counter could you look after her for a couple of hours, he replied I would have if she was fast asleep, all done in jest of course!

Back to topic, boots everytime, Meindl used by the British Army in Afghanistan, bought a used pair on fleabay a few years back for £35 maybe the best purchase ever made, incredible quality, have walked through streams in them and nothing, absolutely nothing gets in when laced up well, incredibly comfortable.

Question for those that take boots - I am strongly considering this this year with gaiters for the rain but I am not sure as to how they would handle the mud at its worst should that happen (which it won't, keep the faith)?

What sort of boots would you guys recommend and I will have a look? I can find waterproof boots quite easily but most finish just above the ankle and if we end up in a slush fest the amount of mud will easily ingress into the shoe even below a gaiter surely?

I've got a pair of full leather Magnums that have served me for longer than I can remember and a pair of Desert Fox Meindl's for this year (because its going to be a scorcher of course) - but even without gore-tex liners and gaiters my feet have always been absolutely fine. Just make sure you give them some TLC and a good wax treatment before you go and all will be A-Ok!

Question for those that take boots - I am strongly considering this this year with gaiters for the rain but I am not sure as to how they would handle the mud at its worst should that happen (which it won't, keep the faith)?

What sort of boots would you guys recommend and I will have a look? I can find waterproof boots quite easily but most finish just above the ankle and if we end up in a slush fest the amount of mud will easily ingress into the shoe even below a gaiter surely?

Decent boots have a completely sewn in tongue, and if there are any eyelets they'll be in front of that. Even half decent gaiters will prevent water getting in over the top of the boots if you briefly step into a very deep puddle, so mud isn't really a problem.

I've always used some type of army style boots with a higher leg - firstly Dutch/German para boots, then British assault boots and lately Magnum Elite II's. It's only last year that I used gaiters and I've never had a problem with wet feet.

For the record my gf has worn the Magnum desert boots for the last two years (bought at the previous fest for the princely sum of a tenner). Although neither year was a wash out they've kept her feet dry even without the aid of waterproofing. It really does baffle me why people risk crippling their feet with wellies!

Hi all,

I'd normally wear trainers to a festival with wellies on stand by for as soon as the paths get muddy.

That said, I normally only do festivals from Thursday-Monday.

I've found these... Can anyone contribute on opinion? Will they be too warm? should they stay dry? Good price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281565968638?var=580581847445

$_57.JPG

So what do people wear if its a scorcher and ground bone dry - stick with walking boots? 1st timer and trying to squash my female instinct of taking too many pairs of shoes lol!

They're called "walking boots" for a reason, not just mud-walking boots.

I've done trainers and it ruins your feet by comparison, just not enough cushioning or support

I've done trainers and it ruins your feet by comparison, just not enough cushioning or support

To be fair, that's something that will vary quite significantly by brand and model surely? Not all trainers are shit, and for that matter not all walking boots are great.

I've been buying the same model of trainers for the past few years, and would much prefer them to any walking boots I've seen. Likewise, I've had some trainers in the past that would've been a disaster at Glastonbury due to the factors you mention.

To be fair, that's something that will vary quite significantly by brand and model surely? Not all trainers are shit, and for that matter not all walking boots are great.

I've been buying the same model of trainers for the past few years, and would much prefer them to any walking boots I've seen. Likewise, I've had some trainers in the past that would've been a disaster at Glastonbury due to the factors you mention.

That is fair. I'm lumping them all together a bit much there, there's a wild difference between fashion trainers and sports ones, and likewise between safety/fashion boots and walking ones

I'd always suggest the boot over trainer though, a twisted ankle is a weekend ruining event so a bit of grump over ankle support is so worth it

OK so we all know that your choice of footwear is important...BUT,,,if you are used to walking long distances for an extended period of time you will doubtless be OK, but if you don't move much generally and suddenly try walking around all day for several days...you are going to be fecked whatever you've got on your feet!