Secret resales 2015

Terence99

Just want to add my congrats to all those who were successful and my thanks to @eFestivals for the excellent CheckPage, which worked beautifully. Thanks also to those who kept these pages going and added much needed humour to the stress! 

Sadly I was one of those who made it on to the booking page only to be told they were sold out. I'm not sure I could have been any faster, but it is what it is. Funnily enough, even though I have a ticket myself and was trying for a friend who previously missed out, I'm feeling just as rubbish as I would have done if it were for me.

Still, onwards and upwards. There is still a glimmer of hope and I'm a firm believer that the (non)glass isn't just half full, it's refillable!

1 minute ago, siweltrebor said:

If you want to hear about a success story from a few years ago we do have one.

Two of my friends won tickets to Glastonbury in the Guardian competition and completed our camp in what was my favourite Glastonbury back in 2010.

Thanks :) I need things like this in my life right now haha! Anyone know if the e festivals comp has been decided yet? Would love someone on here to win some tickets! I feel heartbroken not just for myself but for the regular thread goers here who also failed. It really felt like we were all in this together!

So my story for those who are interested...  I heard about the secret sales 2 years ago when a friend didn't get a ticket, and have been successful in these sales 2014, 2015 and now 2016.

When it was posted that the page changes were similar to the changes that happened last year I started pressing refresh randomly. On the 900001 link I got a holding page for a fraction of a second, and when it refreshed again it was the add registration stage. I somehow found the time to post here that I'd got the holding page!!! Then I entered details and realised it was the real deal. I couldn't believe it was happening. Registration number was entered manually. Postcode was auto filled after first letter. I skim read what I was purchasing to make sure it was the right details and a GA not a coach. I know my card details by heart and entered them manually. I got a confirmation page. I couldn't believe in this time no one had posted in whatsapp group. Me and someone else then posted at the same time into whatsapp and I think I managed to get a "go" in to the forum somewhere (maybe before pressing pay?!). The forum crashed. People on whatsapp saying all tickets had gone. I couldn't believe it - I was quick but not *that* quick. 

I was shaking but relatively relaxed about time as last year it was open for 10-15 mins. 

I'm so gutted for everyone who wasn't successful. Especially those who'd put so much time and effort in. Given my experience of the previous two years I was of the opinion that if you're dedicated enough to these sales then good things come. But it seemed like it was random this year. So many more upset people than in previous years. We all knew that these secret resales are not so secret anymore but I certainly didn't realise to what extent. I don't think that's down to any one person or people... It's just inevitable with the internet and social media. Gutting nonetheless when you've put so much effort in. But the people who got them must've been putting a similar amount of effort in to be so on the ball..

Thank you to everyone here for keeping up the good chat. Thank you for those who've put so much effort into setting up groups, codes etc. 

I really hope this isn't it....  Coach tickets might still happen.... Keep the faith. I'm happy to help if I can.... 

That sale happened utterly at the wrong time, on the wrong day for me. Yesterday, Tuesday, or 2 flippin' 30 today I'd have been on it.

Being going through the stages of grief since. This limbo of not quite being sure whether we've had our chips or not is a bit crappy isn't it? Hmmm. Trying to figure out if I look generic enough for a suitable 2nd hand ticket to be found, plus put myself on the reserve list for the people I volunteered with last year.

Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why not?

They were all doing the same as you, and sorting themselves out first.

Which is where those sorts of collaborative groups are a bit flawed by their nature for these sorts of things.

Agreed. I thought we would have at least more than a minute this year so I relied on my email alerts and the numerous whatsapp groups I was in. Sadly my I phone for some reason isn't getting emails through well with push on so I was relying on the whatsapp which as we know was too late. Was talking to my manager at the time so wasn't doing my manic refreshing as I had been all day. I just stopped the convo when we saw my phone get messages haha! I'm lucky I have a good manager. Sadly the time just wasn't to be! I'll be on it if we get any more random sales this week and next. I'm keeping the faith until I see a sold out tweet haha! 

Edited by Lucy92

2 hours ago, mocoworm said:

I am beyond devastated at the moment. 4 solid days with the page monitors and I still wasn't quick enough. I can't even talk about it yet. I am going to go quiet for a while.

Thanks to everyone who kept me company in this thread for the last week.

I totally know the feeling. This has been an experience 

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why not?

Which is where those sorts of collaborative groups are a bit flawed by their nature for these sorts of things.

I just felt like I was being slow about the whole thing!

I also thought there might be some people not trying for tickets but monitoring anyway (as my group was set up last year and still contains people from last year). But I guess if you're not that invested in getting a ticket you're not monitoring the pages constantly.

But yes, agreed that's a definite flaw. Although it was how I got one last year (for a friend!) - I wasn't actively monitoring at the time of the resale and it was the WhatsApp group that alerted me. But then I had 10-15 minutes to casually put details in and contact a few friends to see if they wanted one! So stress free!!!

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why not?

Last year the Whatsapp group worked quite well. There were messages flying about whenever there was a page change, which ultimately played out nicely when the sale went live. There were two big differences this year: the sheer number of changes and some people getting quite aggressive about posts that proved to be a false alarm. So changes weren't flagged up.

They can work well, but only if they're used sensibly and if a sale doesn't last only 20 seconds! I'd certainly never rely solely on Whatsapp.

I was skiving and thought i'd nailed it as i had the reg and stuff pre populated, waited for what must have been all of 30 seconds and they'd gone. There's nothing i could have done any better regardless of what day the sale fell on, lucks out your lucks out.

Edited by davidd

5 minutes ago, Jolie23 said:

I just felt like I was being slow about the whole thing!

I also thought there might be some people not trying for tickets but monitoring anyway (as my group was set up last year and still contains people from last year). But I guess if you're not that invested in getting a ticket you're not monitoring the pages constantly.

But yes, agreed that's a definite flaw. Although it was how I got one last year (for a friend!) - I wasn't actively monitoring at the time of the resale and it was the WhatsApp group that alerted me. But then I had 10-15 minutes to casually put details in and contact a few friends to see if they wanted one! So stress free!!!

It was so different to last year, there was loads of time, it was so easy once the waiting and stressing was over.

so many more people in the know this year made all the difference. I think a lot of people (myself included) were also expecting it to be on or just after the hour, 15:46 took a lot of people by surprise.

If it's any consolation to those that have missed out, speed of reaction only played a part. Like October and April, the main factor of success is sheer damn luck. I was on the page instantly as Neils alert came through and entered my payment....sold out before the payment could process. I genuinely could not have reacted quicker.

I think it's hard to compare years.... i suspect The Who, Flo and Kanye and 2015 had far, far more refunds than Muse, Adele and Coldplay so the amount of available tickets was minimal.

Anyone care to guesstimate how many were sold? Shocked how quick that was. Can't see too many people screaming success on twitter. There are a few here but I could swear I saw more success stories in last year's resale thread. Clearly everyone is a lot more tooled up these days but you still need to react in the same way you would if they'd managed to get a tweet or facebook post out (as in previous years). Fingers crossed for the rest of you!

4 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

I didn't get a ticket :( looking into other options now. Anyone know where I can find people looking for volunteers on stalls 

Camplight -- someone posted somewhere that they're recruiting. No idea if they have space for Glasto... but I can't actually see much of their work being done during the festival either (which is good!)