Jump to content
makhulumo

Run the Jewels, Jewels, Jewels

Recommended Posts

Hard to tell how this went down overall but it was insane in the pit. Some hairy moments with that new 'form a circle then throw yourself around in it' thing the kids are doing now, but full of fans giving maximum love. The fellas looked genuinely touched as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was fucking amazing, this. Hadn't read any of the stuff about Mike's mum beforehand and thought he was joking about her dying when he said she's somewhere laughing.

Watching it back now and it looks amazing still. Peeped @Mash011 bouncing around during Lie, Cheat, Steal on iPlayer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Was fucking amazing, this. Hadn't read any of the stuff about Mike's mum beforehand and thought he was joking about her dying when he said she's somewhere laughing.

Watching it back now and it looks amazing still. Peeped @Mash011 bouncing around during Lie, Cheat, Steal on iPlayer.

Eagle eyes here. They filmed me during Lie Cheat Steal last time, too. Probs cos that song is my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was really something special wasn't it?

Your hardly ever see a Pyramid crowd kicking off like that, the scarfs were a great touch and I got genuinely really quite emotional over Mike dedicating the set to the Grenfell victims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Eagle eyes here. They filmed me during Lie Cheat Steal last time, too. Probs cos that song is my life.

Also peeped you through the crowd at Angel Olsen. Lots of Mash in my weekend this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched it back and was as good as I remembered. Glad I went to the front as the atmosphere was bouncing. Had no idea about his Ma until now.

Jaime's 'poetry spot', the only duff thing about the set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

Was in the pit for the whole thing with some buds. I was wearing a Lions T shirt (Rugby). The Moshing was absolutely fucking mad and I had a blast. I was also wearing severely broken sunnies by the end. Everyone was great inbetween the chaos though, hugs and laughter all around.

Any footage of the Moshing on IPlayer? Trying to spot me and my buds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well impressed. Got the crowd going, never seen them before and knew one or two tracks. Seem like really sound and humble guys too. Great show!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this thread in order to share this banger. Feel like Killer Mike overshadows El most of the time on RTJ albums, with El's main focus being production of course. This vid is a good reminder of how sick El-P is, possibly my favourite ever verse of his. All the verses on this are of the highest quality, especially Kool A.D and Depsot's (wheres the album!?!?) and El-P ofc.

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's awesome. Never seen that, cheers.

Obviously they're universal with Run the Jewels but I'd love to see solo shows from either of the guys at some point soon. Or perhaps even just their own tracks inserted into RTJ shows; I know Reagan made one of the shows this year but there are so many more I wanna hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Disappointing, no?

 

It is, but I’ve come to just accept that it’s a stance that none of us ‘rational’ UK citizens will ever understand.

Nothing too controversial with his words I don’t think, I’m sure Mike is only pro guns as a form of defence - and he feels he’s just trying to protect himself, and more importantly his family in the future by owning one. 

He’s clearly a decent, honest and caring guy with the right values at heart - and he’s doing nothing wrong having these views on guns as long as he’s permitting within the law. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, st dan said:

It is, but I’ve come to just accept that it’s a stance that none of us ‘rational’ UK citizens will ever understand.

Nothing too controversial with his words I don’t think, I’m sure Mike is only pro guns as a form of defence - and he feels he’s just trying to protect himself, and more importantly his family in the future by owning one. 

He’s clearly a decent, honest and caring guy with the right values at heart - and he’s doing nothing wrong having these views on guns as long as he’s permitting within the law. 

Yep. There’s no way I’ll ever be able to comment on or advise his position as a black man in America. It’s actually good to hear someone as sensible as Mike offer an opposing view to gun reform, because it’s a conversation and the people against it are often painted up as maniacs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit tone deaf and the timing of it is miles off but if you're black and from the south owning a gun isn't the worst idea. Sadly.

Hes not new to pro gun/pro NRA interviews though. 

"Lets gets a million black men signed up to the NRA"

"Get the women shooting"

"By the time the kids are 12 or 13 get them on the range loading and shooting guns".

A total gun nut. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's all for freedom of speech but if his kids join the protest he'll throw them out the house.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

He's all for freedom of speech but if his kids join the protest he'll throw them out the house.

I didn’t think he was being serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depressing stuff from such an enlightened man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Nal said:

if you're black and from the south owning a gun isn't the worst idea. Sadly.

Yeah I mean this will always be true, and what Dental said about not wanting to wade in on telling a black man in America his own experiences as well.

But at that, I'm surprised he'll support the NRA when they are big business who callously profit of all things to do with guns, no matter who gets killed. Supporting the right of individuals to own guns and supporting the NRA are not the same thing and they don't need to go hand in hand. Mike seems to be a person who is suspicious of big businesses with too much power, the NRA is the ultimate example. The march he didn't want his kids to go on was not in support of taking everybody's guns away. He's saying he supports responsible citizens' right to own guns for self-defence purposes and I'm not going to disagree with him on that, America is a dangerous place to be, the guns will never all be gone, and if Mike as an informed person feels confident in him and his family owning guns, then that be the case.

Him not seeing that there's benefit to increased background checks, and a ban on the sale of larger military style weapons? Get real man. That's not against your point of view at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah I mean this will always be true, and what Dental said about not wanting to wade in on telling a black man in America his own experiences as well.

But at that, I'm surprised he'll support the NRA when they are big business who callously profit of all things to do with guns, no matter who gets killed. Supporting the right of individuals to own guns and supporting the NRA are not the same thing and they don't need to go hand in hand. Mike seems to be a person who is suspicious of big businesses with too much power, the NRA is the ultimate example. The march he didn't want his kids to go on was not in support of taking everybody's guns away. He's saying he supports responsible citizens' right to own guns for self-defence purposes and I'm not going to disagree with him on that, America is a dangerous place to be, the guns will never all be gone, and if Mike as an informed person feels confident in him and his family owning guns, then that be the case.

Him not seeing that there's benefit to increased background checks, and a ban on the sale of larger military style weapons? Get real man. That's not against your point of view at all.

I agree with what you're saying but one of the main topics covered in his lyrics is the institutional racism from the police force and the government, so if background checks stop many black men who have a criminal record over some bullshit getting a gun to defend themselves I can't see him being in favour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I agree with what you're saying but one of the main topics covered in his lyrics is the institutional racism from the police force and the government, so if background checks stop many black men who have a criminal record over some bullshit getting a gun to defend themselves I can't see him being in favour.

100% agree with this. He’s probably so against it as he thinks the background checks will make the whole race situation in America even worse - as in the future many black men may be unarmed, and essential become open targets. The system is so broken, it’s almost unfixable sadly. 

But as I say, being a white male living in the countryside in the UK, I couldn’t even being to envisage the real issues here past the news headlines. But Mike is a decent and honest guy, so for him to have such strong viewpoints and support to the NRA so defiantly, there is clearly more than meets the eye here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×