Run the Jewels, Jewels, Jewels

makhulumo

That's awesome. Never seen that, cheers.

Obviously they're universal with Run the Jewels but I'd love to see solo shows from either of the guys at some point soon. Or perhaps even just their own tracks inserted into RTJ shows; I know Reagan made one of the shows this year but there are so many more I wanna hear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
34 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Disappointing, no?

It is, but I’ve come to just accept that it’s a stance that none of us ‘rational’ UK citizens will ever understand.

Nothing too controversial with his words I don’t think, I’m sure Mike is only pro guns as a form of defence - and he feels he’s just trying to protect himself, and more importantly his family in the future by owning one. 

He’s clearly a decent, honest and caring guy with the right values at heart - and he’s doing nothing wrong having these views on guns as long as he’s permitting within the law. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

It is, but I’ve come to just accept that it’s a stance that none of us ‘rational’ UK citizens will ever understand.

Nothing too controversial with his words I don’t think, I’m sure Mike is only pro guns as a form of defence - and he feels he’s just trying to protect himself, and more importantly his family in the future by owning one. 

He’s clearly a decent, honest and caring guy with the right values at heart - and he’s doing nothing wrong having these views on guns as long as he’s permitting within the law. 

Yep. There’s no way I’ll ever be able to comment on or advise his position as a black man in America. It’s actually good to hear someone as sensible as Mike offer an opposing view to gun reform, because it’s a conversation and the people against it are often painted up as maniacs.

• Upvote 1

A bit tone deaf and the timing of it is miles off but if you're black and from the south owning a gun isn't the worst idea. Sadly.

Hes not new to pro gun/pro NRA interviews though. 

"Lets gets a million black men signed up to the NRA"

"Get the women shooting"

"By the time the kids are 12 or 13 get them on the range loading and shooting guns".

A total gun nut. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

if you're black and from the south owning a gun isn't the worst idea. Sadly.

Yeah I mean this will always be true, and what Dental said about not wanting to wade in on telling a black man in America his own experiences as well.

But at that, I'm surprised he'll support the NRA when they are big business who callously profit of all things to do with guns, no matter who gets killed. Supporting the right of individuals to own guns and supporting the NRA are not the same thing and they don't need to go hand in hand. Mike seems to be a person who is suspicious of big businesses with too much power, the NRA is the ultimate example. The march he didn't want his kids to go on was not in support of taking everybody's guns away. He's saying he supports responsible citizens' right to own guns for self-defence purposes and I'm not going to disagree with him on that, America is a dangerous place to be, the guns will never all be gone, and if Mike as an informed person feels confident in him and his family owning guns, then that be the case.

Him not seeing that there's benefit to increased background checks, and a ban on the sale of larger military style weapons? Get real man. That's not against your point of view at all.

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah I mean this will always be true, and what Dental said about not wanting to wade in on telling a black man in America his own experiences as well.

But at that, I'm surprised he'll support the NRA when they are big business who callously profit of all things to do with guns, no matter who gets killed. Supporting the right of individuals to own guns and supporting the NRA are not the same thing and they don't need to go hand in hand. Mike seems to be a person who is suspicious of big businesses with too much power, the NRA is the ultimate example. The march he didn't want his kids to go on was not in support of taking everybody's guns away. He's saying he supports responsible citizens' right to own guns for self-defence purposes and I'm not going to disagree with him on that, America is a dangerous place to be, the guns will never all be gone, and if Mike as an informed person feels confident in him and his family owning guns, then that be the case.

Him not seeing that there's benefit to increased background checks, and a ban on the sale of larger military style weapons? Get real man. That's not against your point of view at all.

I agree with what you're saying but one of the main topics covered in his lyrics is the institutional racism from the police force and the government, so if background checks stop many black men who have a criminal record over some bullshit getting a gun to defend themselves I can't see him being in favour.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I agree with what you're saying but one of the main topics covered in his lyrics is the institutional racism from the police force and the government, so if background checks stop many black men who have a criminal record over some bullshit getting a gun to defend themselves I can't see him being in favour.

100% agree with this. He’s probably so against it as he thinks the background checks will make the whole race situation in America even worse - as in the future many black men may be unarmed, and essential become open targets. The system is so broken, it’s almost unfixable sadly. 

But as I say, being a white male living in the countryside in the UK, I couldn’t even being to envisage the real issues here past the news headlines. But Mike is a decent and honest guy, so for him to have such strong viewpoints and support to the NRA so defiantly, there is clearly more than meets the eye here. 

The trouble is as others have said a lot of people (especially minorities) live in parts of America where the police couldn't really give a toss, they would have been brought up around gun culture and be expected to use them. The Black Panthers were heavily armed in the 60's for example.

I am surprised Mike spoke to the NRA though, because they've done nothing but detrimental to the rights of minorities in America and don't seem to give a toss when non-criminal black Americans are arrested or even killed for their completely legal gun ownership. Owning guns/ supporting the Second Amendment is one thing, promoting an organisation like that is significantly different.

I thought they were on the front page because of this:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/run-the-jewels-el-p-blade-runner-2049-rejected-score-trailer-2276062

I quite like it, but it really hasn't been mixed properly.  Normally when you hear "unmixed" tracks that have been leaked they're fine, but this really sounds unfinished to me, like it could be with another days work getting the levels on each part right throughout the song, especially to make the end section work in a dramatic sense.

But it's good, nice claustrophobic feel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...