Coachella

mccdyl001

24 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Well thats Palm Springs to the festival for context. Joshua Tree is double that distance ( bristol glasto ) 

Gonna tag a  bunch of ya'll cause quoting doesnt work like it does on other forums. hope you remember your posts.

Forgot who asked or was curious. the front pens in front of most of the stages. Those are for people with Guest Passes. They are a tier above VIP. They allow access to that area along with the artist backstage and free golf cart rides to other stages. I personally have had them one year because I won them. they were nice. You technically can buy them but its only included with the Safari Tent camping package. so if you have $10,000 to spend for 2 people, by all means. and its $1500 extra per person for 2 more people and they get a guest pass also. So everyone who is in there has a connection with the festival and industry along with celebs. There is the ultimate all access wristband, The Empire Pass. but thats reserved for a small amount of people. I didnt see what those looked like but they just have a roman numeral on them that represent the festival year.

@gfaHow is Indio which is 225 kilometers from Los Angeles part of the largest metro area in the us? Lineup differences are minimal. Its literally 95% of the same line up except the Do Lab has different artists and surprises. 

@Gnomicide Difference in audience is kind of along those lines. Sure theres lots of influencers weekend 1 but they still exist weekend 2. Its a matter of being first. But they dont go away. Plenty of parties and everything happening outside the fest. It has been considered a bit more chill 2nd weekend with crowds cause they kind of know what to expect. And Theres lots of people who watch the streams of acts they know they wont see on their respective weekend and not spoil themselves weekend 2.

@incident Regarding the tents. They have to withstand high winds and potential sandstorms, so im sure thhey meet whatever criteria there is in the uk. Theyll be tested this friday because there is  going to have a wind advisory starting in a few hours for the next 36 hours in the region. Gusts as high as 60kph expected friday night. Also, theres ways to get aerial shots. Theres a ferris wheel. And they have their own rainbow tower. photos coming. And there are a couple spots to get elevation from the grounds viewpoint btw, theyre in the terrace.

@squirrelarmy when are we not allowed to drink in that weather. I had my bottle of water right in hand. If you meant alcohol, why the hell are you gonna get piss drunk in 35 degree heat? We'll get to the alcohol and no apparent ''freedom'' later on.  Also, when the hell is anyone being bussed to and from the festival thats camping?  The shuttles are for anyone staying at hotels in the area. I took one in 2019 because parking had filled up early and it was a breeze. Camping is literally next to the festival grounds, no bus needed.

@Beaver89 The ego strip is off center because of how they split off the guest pass area and the rest.  And yeah, its early, unless there is somebody really popular early on there isnt a sizeable crowd til 3pm or so. The soul is there, go find it.

@chazwwe I do agree with the camera and direction work this year. I watched some of the streams and didnt dig it. Trust me, it has been much better in years past. Childish Gambino was great when he headlined cause he had the steadi cam follow him the whole whole along with other angles on the screens. But yeah, there were less aerial shots and crowd stuff, it was weird. Thats not normal for them to kind of fall short in the cinematography department for the livestreams and the fest. Lots of people bummed out how Doja didnt show up the screens as much as they thought. Didnt connect that well overall. SHM was similar and had a slight disconnect.

And yeah, the most interesting thing is that the one stage most of you lot would agree is the one to be at is not on the livestream. The Sonora Tent. Its enclosed, has air conditioning and a bar in the back. so you could watch all of the indie and guitar bands to your hearts desire in comfort without getting melted by the sun and beer in hand. it meant to resemble a club.

Now, alright. So, this weekend was not perfect. I have no issue with pointing out the mistakes made by the organizers and of course covid is partial blame but not entirely cause some of this is basic. Fortunately they can be fixed so Weekend 2 should be better.  So they went cashless, which I dont think is terrible because most people dont carry cash there anyway. Except that you got charged tax now which was lame. But it also makes you not think about how much yorue spending. Yes, you guys would have a fit at food prices. Ill take photos of them this weekend and then have that whole argument. Beer was 10 quid for heineken and some craft beer fyi. So they have lockers inside the fest so you can store some things and not have to lug it around. There seemed to be a problem retreiving your reservation which is not cool because theyre pretty pricey.

The merch line was pretty insane. You guys are going to think why people would be mad enough to stand in line  for 2 hours to buy a t shirt but when its literally a whole store of wall to wall things, you want something. I did personally stand in line for about 90 mins early on saturday to get a few things, but thats my choice and i had the second weekend to see who i missed. Water was a big issue. So there are free water stations around the grounds. Early on friday only a couple of them worked. Later on when they all worked some had little pressure so it took longer to refill. The other thing with water was that they used to have water exclusive vndors on the main fields. So if you wanted a bottle you just walked a minute or 2 and found a cart. Those were totally gone which is a joke. That shouldve never been removed. No reason to make people walk farther than needed to hydrate, even though the weather was overall in the sweet spot of warm with some wind all weekend. The water stations were also not labelebd. They previously had signs above them so you could find them. not this time.

The shuttle thing which I think confused some people again were the hotel shuttles. It seems they were delayed a bit at the start of friday, but again, not cool when you say theyre scheduled to start at a certain time and you leave people waiting in the sun. stage wise the Yuma Tent ( coachella version of the glade ) had the biggest logistical issue. it was almost impossible to get in there at certain times. Wanted to see Purple Disco Machine, no chance at all. I heard somebody paid a guard $200 to get into Richie Hawtin. Its almost unforgiveable to let this happen. but oddly enough people are getting into that type of edm now so tons of people wanna get in there since it got moved out of the Sahara tent in favor of hip hop. Its just like sonora, totally enclosed with air conditioning and lots of cool lights of course. Idris Elba djed in there in 2019 for example. And theres the Disco Shark hanging above the dj which is an unofficial mascot of the fest along with the roadrunner.

So yeah, some shitty stuff happened and thats not cool cause they affect a lot of things. Security wasnt an issue when entering and no long queues to get in there early and prob only queues when its around 5-6pm when the late party people come and some people who maybe took a break from camping. Food quess kind of whatever, although for some reason all the gluten free food was only in VIP? Not smart at all.

Look, I get as to why it seems like its just some elitist slog and not worth the time or money. but I honestly dont pay attention to the 1% of people who make it seem likes its just that and nothing else. So many people are going for the music. This year you kind of have to cut some people slack. Nobody has gone in 3 years, same as glasto. Dont think people arent going to cry or try to take every selfie possible when they hit the farm in 2 months? thats totally happening. The art lends itself for you to take photos. It always changes anyway. Like you guys wouldve got a kick out of the hippos building a rocket ship in 2019. Like why would the apparent most fake and trendy fest have an art installation with fucking hippos?  And I mean theres a reason all but 2 stages are covered, cause the sun is out, the opposite of glasto. 

Although it seems most people didnt bother with some of the other acts on the stream? So anyone watch Anitta, NIKI, Rich Brian,  Grupo Firme, Banda MS,Joji or  Head In The Clouds? Somebody on here knows who Utada Hikaru is and played Kingdom Hearts, cause thats some rare stuff   along with the 2NE1 reunion which blew up twitter. That trended higher than Coachella after they hit the stage. @Matt42 had said that Glasto takes more risks with the lineup, but theres no way Emily could book some of these acts and give them the same stage time and such. When is there going to be a Mexican ranchera group on the Pyramid at 7pm?  Or a Asian record label showcase with some KPop at 8pm Saturday night? As much as it wants to be seen as the bookings looking weak, I dont know how Anitta bringing out Snoop Dogg during her very first song as like something to scoff over for example. Trust me, on the poster, things look like theyre not that good but when the schedule comes out there is so much chaos to navigate. There were some brutal conflicts, but at least you can split sets. Thats not possible at glasto.  Coachella tries to represent the region of southern california and its local surroundings. Plenty of culture here so a festival attempting to celebrate all that and being pretty global is seen as a not good thing I guess. That also plays into the point of a music festival which is to discover. I count 34 acts out of 150+ that are repeats. Whats the count of this years glasto? Its probably about half of what the first poster has for the moment. Sometimes so much unfamiliar stuff makes people hesitant. We all want comfortable things. Which is ok, but you have to move forward. And how did I get to see some hardcore bands along with Harry Styles within hours of each other? 

Anyway, theres all that. I had a great weekend. Arcade Fire, Turnstile, Danny Elfman, Orville Peck, Fred again, Stromae  and Dave were some highlights. Its almost time to do it all over again and get to see almost an entire different slate of bands.  Harry was a lot of fun and did what a headliner should do. Billie was alright.  i would say the crowd was whatever because she is local and she just did 3 nights in LA 2 weeks ago. HER SOUND WAS GOOD. I walked around and found the dead spots with the speaker towers and then got to a spot where it all sounded fine. Although her mic still kept picking up the screams of the crowd cause it seems its not gated into oblivion like it should be. Swedish House Mafia and The Weeknd was what it was gonan be. SHM getting overshadowd by Abel. and Mike Dean. Them having to cram their music into 40 mins for the 8 million dollar man was funny. Production couldve had some more done to it but you dont get many chances to use that big of a stage set up anyway. Also, if you saw the crowds sort of low energy at the end of the night. Well, its hot, and 99% of people in attendance hadnt been to a festival in 3 years. You would feel the same way after trying to walk around all day seeing music. and just wear a bandana, the dust wont get into your lungs and you dont get coachella flu, or covid i guess.

Oh yeah and I totally want to write a shit talking rant, but ill keep it to myself. Think i spent enough typing now.

PHOTOS

4A17CCD1-7E64-40A4-9787-5C0327BF3295.jpeg

254D00F1-6707-4D05-9120-009612945534.jpeg

3DD1CCA6-352C-46D2-A3FB-2661ADD0E58D.jpeg

EFC9D556-833E-4400-882C-D5497B5E57F7.jpeg

012779F3-F780-47F2-9F46-B1826761B02E.jpeg

B37D4DEB-50E5-4BF1-B290-8E474F47A832.jpeg

CACD4247-9D71-4DB3-9BB5-997972DE1B5A.jpeg

BE170A19-B839-4A3F-9D3B-11A5CCAF768B.jpeg

405743B0-8E81-4420-8A03-580CC04039CE.jpeg

59B56420-3FEB-4461-ACE3-2EC601F1F96D.jpeg

315BE401-3CD7-4815-A918-B246951D4A45.jpeg

6FCA4375-5EA7-4928-A3C7-EAE8CA811383.jpeg

9903F3B4-BB36-49A3-BAF2-8857441C123A.jpeg

610F210E-2D62-4B30-B7BB-6FA9A9850A81.jpeg

E0C1DEE5-B7D3-4BBA-8250-1D164C8A8197.jpeg

2D4146F7-A7F1-4249-86D3-C50D53F408D2.jpeg

9401D6B9-035E-45C9-8866-B5462EBB4C2A.jpeg

289334D2-6EC8-4ADF-8CBC-3415F65A216B.jpeg

FE3846B3-8CD1-492C-8FFF-EB1CE81AF63D.jpeg

9296D033-F6BD-45AB-9B11-7E36B8A16E3E.jpeg

87159F64-458B-4D5B-A84E-312C5B03FAED.jpeg

877D659C-BAAD-4290-8B01-05D30BBB4CD0.jpeg

E3E2125C-3AE2-4F0F-9211-6D7678E679B0.jpeg

E0784723-7033-4B56-A38C-09DA5CF282F8.jpeg

D1806A4B-E9AF-4E0C-ACF1-52C129DE02CD.jpeg

I don't know enough to comment on the content, but nice bit of reportage, especially with the enclosed photos 😊

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I saw supre post on twitter one of the reasons for not having alcohol at stages is so that underage people can’t get passed alcohol (and also the extra litter it would cause, never heard of *bins?). Surely a 17 year old getting passed a beer at a festival is the least of their worries when they can get mowed down at school by an automatic weapon. And that aside, why ruin the festival for 95% of the adult attendees for that reason anyway?

*interestingly in the Coachella doc on YouTube they forgot bins for the first ever festival so there was litter everywhere, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that was actually the real reason, they don’t want the aesthetic ruined by some litter.

Its due to licensing i read yesterday, california laws are under 21s cannot be in the same venue as over 21s who are drinking. obviously stupid from the UK who cares smuggle in loads of alcohol at 16 to Reading perspective but yeah

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

How is Indio which is 225 kilometers from Los Angeles part of the largest metro area in the us? Lineup differences are minimal. Its literally 95% of the same line up except the Do Lab has different artists and surprises.

The US is a big country, its the nearest metro area and therefore thats where a lot of the visitors to the festival will be coming from. Having a lot of people relatively nearby (nothing is near in the US - but people are more prepared to travel) is beneficial to running a big festival.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Well thats Palm Springs to the festival for context. Joshua Tree is double that distance ( bristol glasto ) 

Gonna tag a  bunch of ya'll cause quoting doesnt work like it does on other forums. hope you remember your posts.

Forgot who asked or was curious. the front pens in front of most of the stages. Those are for people with Guest Passes. They are a tier above VIP. They allow access to that area along with the artist backstage and free golf cart rides to other stages. I personally have had them one year because I won them. they were nice. You technically can buy them but its only included with the Safari Tent camping package. so if you have $10,000 to spend for 2 people, by all means. and its $1500 extra per person for 2 more people and they get a guest pass also. So everyone who is in there has a connection with the festival and industry along with celebs. There is the ultimate all access wristband, The Empire Pass. but thats reserved for a small amount of people. I didnt see what those looked like but they just have a roman numeral on them that represent the festival year.

@gfaHow is Indio which is 225 kilometers from Los Angeles part of the largest metro area in the us? Lineup differences are minimal. Its literally 95% of the same line up except the Do Lab has different artists and surprises. 

@Gnomicide Difference in audience is kind of along those lines. Sure theres lots of influencers weekend 1 but they still exist weekend 2. Its a matter of being first. But they dont go away. Plenty of parties and everything happening outside the fest. It has been considered a bit more chill 2nd weekend with crowds cause they kind of know what to expect. And Theres lots of people who watch the streams of acts they know they wont see on their respective weekend and not spoil themselves weekend 2.

@incident Regarding the tents. They have to withstand high winds and potential sandstorms, so im sure thhey meet whatever criteria there is in the uk. Theyll be tested this friday because there is  going to have a wind advisory starting in a few hours for the next 36 hours in the region. Gusts as high as 60kph expected friday night. Also, theres ways to get aerial shots. Theres a ferris wheel. And they have their own rainbow tower. photos coming. And there are a couple spots to get elevation from the grounds viewpoint btw, theyre in the terrace.

@squirrelarmy when are we not allowed to drink in that weather. I had my bottle of water right in hand. If you meant alcohol, why the hell are you gonna get piss drunk in 35 degree heat? We'll get to the alcohol and no apparent ''freedom'' later on.  Also, when the hell is anyone being bussed to and from the festival thats camping?  The shuttles are for anyone staying at hotels in the area. I took one in 2019 because parking had filled up early and it was a breeze. Camping is literally next to the festival grounds, no bus needed.

@Beaver89 The ego strip is off center because of how they split off the guest pass area and the rest.  And yeah, its early, unless there is somebody really popular early on there isnt a sizeable crowd til 3pm or so. The soul is there, go find it.

@chazwwe I do agree with the camera and direction work this year. I watched some of the streams and didnt dig it. Trust me, it has been much better in years past. Childish Gambino was great when he headlined cause he had the steadi cam follow him the whole whole along with other angles on the screens. But yeah, there were less aerial shots and crowd stuff, it was weird. Thats not normal for them to kind of fall short in the cinematography department for the livestreams and the fest. Lots of people bummed out how Doja didnt show up the screens as much as they thought. Didnt connect that well overall. SHM was similar and had a slight disconnect.

And yeah, the most interesting thing is that the one stage most of you lot would agree is the one to be at is not on the livestream. The Sonora Tent. Its enclosed, has air conditioning and a bar in the back. so you could watch all of the indie and guitar bands to your hearts desire in comfort without getting melted by the sun and beer in hand. it meant to resemble a club.

Now, alright. So, this weekend was not perfect. I have no issue with pointing out the mistakes made by the organizers and of course covid is partial blame but not entirely cause some of this is basic. Fortunately they can be fixed so Weekend 2 should be better.  So they went cashless, which I dont think is terrible because most people dont carry cash there anyway. Except that you got charged tax now which was lame. But it also makes you not think about how much yorue spending. Yes, you guys would have a fit at food prices. Ill take photos of them this weekend and then have that whole argument. Beer was 10 quid for heineken and some craft beer fyi. So they have lockers inside the fest so you can store some things and not have to lug it around. There seemed to be a problem retreiving your reservation which is not cool because theyre pretty pricey.

The merch line was pretty insane. You guys are going to think why people would be mad enough to stand in line  for 2 hours to buy a t shirt but when its literally a whole store of wall to wall things, you want something. I did personally stand in line for about 90 mins early on saturday to get a few things, but thats my choice and i had the second weekend to see who i missed. Water was a big issue. So there are free water stations around the grounds. Early on friday only a couple of them worked. Later on when they all worked some had little pressure so it took longer to refill. The other thing with water was that they used to have water exclusive vndors on the main fields. So if you wanted a bottle you just walked a minute or 2 and found a cart. Those were totally gone which is a joke. That shouldve never been removed. No reason to make people walk farther than needed to hydrate, even though the weather was overall in the sweet spot of warm with some wind all weekend. The water stations were also not labelebd. They previously had signs above them so you could find them. not this time.

The shuttle thing which I think confused some people again were the hotel shuttles. It seems they were delayed a bit at the start of friday, but again, not cool when you say theyre scheduled to start at a certain time and you leave people waiting in the sun. stage wise the Yuma Tent ( coachella version of the glade ) had the biggest logistical issue. it was almost impossible to get in there at certain times. Wanted to see Purple Disco Machine, no chance at all. I heard somebody paid a guard $200 to get into Richie Hawtin. Its almost unforgiveable to let this happen. but oddly enough people are getting into that type of edm now so tons of people wanna get in there since it got moved out of the Sahara tent in favor of hip hop. Its just like sonora, totally enclosed with air conditioning and lots of cool lights of course. Idris Elba djed in there in 2019 for example. And theres the Disco Shark hanging above the dj which is an unofficial mascot of the fest along with the roadrunner.

So yeah, some shitty stuff happened and thats not cool cause they affect a lot of things. Security wasnt an issue when entering and no long queues to get in there early and prob only queues when its around 5-6pm when the late party people come and some people who maybe took a break from camping. Food quess kind of whatever, although for some reason all the gluten free food was only in VIP? Not smart at all.

Look, I get as to why it seems like its just some elitist slog and not worth the time or money. but I honestly dont pay attention to the 1% of people who make it seem likes its just that and nothing else. So many people are going for the music. This year you kind of have to cut some people slack. Nobody has gone in 3 years, same as glasto. Dont think people arent going to cry or try to take every selfie possible when they hit the farm in 2 months? thats totally happening. The art lends itself for you to take photos. It always changes anyway. Like you guys wouldve got a kick out of the hippos building a rocket ship in 2019. Like why would the apparent most fake and trendy fest have an art installation with fucking hippos?  And I mean theres a reason all but 2 stages are covered, cause the sun is out, the opposite of glasto. 

Although it seems most people didnt bother with some of the other acts on the stream? So anyone watch Anitta, NIKI, Rich Brian,  Grupo Firme, Banda MS,Joji or  Head In The Clouds? Somebody on here knows who Utada Hikaru is and played Kingdom Hearts, cause thats some rare stuff   along with the 2NE1 reunion which blew up twitter. That trended higher than Coachella after they hit the stage. @Matt42 had said that Glasto takes more risks with the lineup, but theres no way Emily could book some of these acts and give them the same stage time and such. When is there going to be a Mexican ranchera group on the Pyramid at 7pm?  Or a Asian record label showcase with some KPop at 8pm Saturday night? As much as it wants to be seen as the bookings looking weak, I dont know how Anitta bringing out Snoop Dogg during her very first song as like something to scoff over for example. Trust me, on the poster, things look like theyre not that good but when the schedule comes out there is so much chaos to navigate. There were some brutal conflicts, but at least you can split sets. Thats not possible at glasto.  Coachella tries to represent the region of southern california and its local surroundings. Plenty of culture here so a festival attempting to celebrate all that and being pretty global is seen as a not good thing I guess. That also plays into the point of a music festival which is to discover. I count 34 acts out of 150+ that are repeats. Whats the count of this years glasto? Its probably about half of what the first poster has for the moment. Sometimes so much unfamiliar stuff makes people hesitant. We all want comfortable things. Which is ok, but you have to move forward. And how did I get to see some hardcore bands along with Harry Styles within hours of each other? 

Anyway, theres all that. I had a great weekend. Arcade Fire, Turnstile, Danny Elfman, Orville Peck, Fred again, Stromae  and Dave were some highlights. Its almost time to do it all over again and get to see almost an entire different slate of bands.  Harry was a lot of fun and did what a headliner should do. Billie was alright.  i would say the crowd was whatever because she is local and she just did 3 nights in LA 2 weeks ago. HER SOUND WAS GOOD. I walked around and found the dead spots with the speaker towers and then got to a spot where it all sounded fine. Although her mic still kept picking up the screams of the crowd cause it seems its not gated into oblivion like it should be. Swedish House Mafia and The Weeknd was what it was gonan be. SHM getting overshadowd by Abel. and Mike Dean. Them having to cram their music into 40 mins for the 8 million dollar man was funny. Production couldve had some more done to it but you dont get many chances to use that big of a stage set up anyway. Also, if you saw the crowds sort of low energy at the end of the night. Well, its hot, and 99% of people in attendance hadnt been to a festival in 3 years. You would feel the same way after trying to walk around all day seeing music. and just wear a bandana, the dust wont get into your lungs and you dont get coachella flu, or covid i guess.

Oh yeah and I totally want to write a shit talking rant, but ill keep it to myself. Think i spent enough typing now.

PHOTOS

4A17CCD1-7E64-40A4-9787-5C0327BF3295.jpeg

254D00F1-6707-4D05-9120-009612945534.jpeg

3DD1CCA6-352C-46D2-A3FB-2661ADD0E58D.jpeg

EFC9D556-833E-4400-882C-D5497B5E57F7.jpeg

012779F3-F780-47F2-9F46-B1826761B02E.jpeg

B37D4DEB-50E5-4BF1-B290-8E474F47A832.jpeg

CACD4247-9D71-4DB3-9BB5-997972DE1B5A.jpeg

BE170A19-B839-4A3F-9D3B-11A5CCAF768B.jpeg

405743B0-8E81-4420-8A03-580CC04039CE.jpeg

59B56420-3FEB-4461-ACE3-2EC601F1F96D.jpeg

315BE401-3CD7-4815-A918-B246951D4A45.jpeg

6FCA4375-5EA7-4928-A3C7-EAE8CA811383.jpeg

9903F3B4-BB36-49A3-BAF2-8857441C123A.jpeg

610F210E-2D62-4B30-B7BB-6FA9A9850A81.jpeg

E0C1DEE5-B7D3-4BBA-8250-1D164C8A8197.jpeg

2D4146F7-A7F1-4249-86D3-C50D53F408D2.jpeg

9401D6B9-035E-45C9-8866-B5462EBB4C2A.jpeg

289334D2-6EC8-4ADF-8CBC-3415F65A216B.jpeg

FE3846B3-8CD1-492C-8FFF-EB1CE81AF63D.jpeg

9296D033-F6BD-45AB-9B11-7E36B8A16E3E.jpeg

87159F64-458B-4D5B-A84E-312C5B03FAED.jpeg

877D659C-BAAD-4290-8B01-05D30BBB4CD0.jpeg

E3E2125C-3AE2-4F0F-9211-6D7678E679B0.jpeg

E0784723-7033-4B56-A38C-09DA5CF282F8.jpeg

D1806A4B-E9AF-4E0C-ACF1-52C129DE02CD.jpeg

Thank you for the write up, enjoyed reading your thoughts.  And the photos are great! xx

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

Its due to licensing i read yesterday, california laws are under 21s cannot be in the same venue as over 21s who are drinking. obviously stupid from the UK who cares smuggle in loads of alcohol at 16 to Reading perspective but yeah

The US is a big country, its the nearest metro area and therefore thats where a lot of the visitors to the festival will be coming from. Having a lot of people relatively nearby (nothing is near in the US - but people are more prepared to travel) is beneficial to running a big festival.

I was going to say, I realised after it must be state law, as it doesn’t happen at other US festivals.

Always think The Yuma Tent looks like such a vibe! How's the soundsystem in there @Suprefan? And just rereading your post, does it have air con or is that another tent? That would be a gamechanger for me (although it sounds like it was rammo for PDM)

Edited by Zacko

29 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Always think The Yuma Tent looks like such a vibe! How's the soundsystem in there @Suprefan? And just rereading your post, does it have air con or is that another tent? That would be a gamechanger for me (although it sounds like it was rammo for PDM)

I think he said he couldn't get in.

Thanks for the write up @Suprefan

Really doesn't sound like my type of thing. 

8 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I was going to say, I realised after it must be state law, as it doesn’t happen at other US festivals.

Its with the city itself. At Outside Lands in San Francisco there is no restriction on where to take alcohol and you see tons of underage drinking. You get carded and then wristbanded. So you just find your friend who is 21 and they go and get wristbands at the kiosks where they hand them out. You just take it off and slip it back on your wrist and off you go. At Coachella with you having to go to a specific location it kind of reduces that in a sense. Say youre with a dozen people and not everyone wants to go get booze, you kinda stick with your friends. Theres plenty of alcohol snuck in through security anyway. For all of the scantily clad people you see in the photos there are many ounces of hard liquor taken through. Trust me, you dont want beer cups everywhere, theres enough trash on the fields with just mainly water bottles at the stages.  I saw one person forget they had a drink in their hand and told to go back into the beer garden, they didnt get upset or anything, just forgot. So peopel are pretty accepting of it. There was a time they did attempt to have beer gardens at each stage, but that only lasted a year before some other changes were made. Gobi, Mojave and Sahara  tent were the ones affected by that.

Halfway to the fest. Waiting for the gf and off to the hotel. Will prob respond to some more stuff and then see if I can break down the alcohol thing with the photos I have on hand. If not, Ill just try and do that over the weekend to show you its not as bad as you think. And maybe post some aerial photos from inside the rainbow tower. Its the final weekend of it being there. Next year there will be a new semi permanent structure put into place.

Oh yeah, regarding Doja Cat. What you saw on the web stream is not what you saw in person. She  was not on the screens for most of the performance. Its was sort of a disconnect cause she didnt really interact with the audience in general. If you were in the back it was just kinda meh because of it. Heard quite a few people complaining about it while watching. Considering how big those screens are, you should want to be able to see the artist on stage and not just visuals. Like visuals are cool and all, but if you got dancers and all that stuff happening, you wanna see it. So if its similar with what she does at her other fests before Glasto then it might not come off as well and might be  better on the tele. But we'll see I guess.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

The Yuma and Sonora have Air Con. The Yuma sound is great. Trust me, youre transported to a dark underground club. And it has a bar! Forgot to mention that.

And maybe I should post a list of all the special guests, cause its lengthy. And Weekend 2 does get some and potentially better ones, so its not just the first weekend that gets a haul. Lizzo rumored for Harry /Styles tomorrow. NWA reunited with Ice Cube weekend 2 in 2016, so stuff happens. They also teased in their email about this weekend. Still no schedule out.

@Madyaker I did get in on sunday when it was earlty. I just didnt get to see the dj I had wanted to. Will see what comes up this time cause had a friend who did see Fatboy and just got into the tent during the dj before with no issue. So if I think its manageable Ill try and go in when its legit full. Coachella isnt for everyone, but you would be surprised. You get top notch audio and visual and there is no fear of mud! Just wind and sun. Thats why I dont want it to be a scorcher in June cause Ill get my fill again this weekend. Trust me, wish it was possible to win the lottery and get everyone to fly over and make a weekend out of it and see. Cant totally hate on it if you dont try it.

Here is a short clip I found of yuma this past weekend. Trust me. THERES BASS when it hits if youre there.

BTW, Coachella is posting clips on their youtube channel. Harry Styles just got a couple and theres been stuff since a couple days ago.

29 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Its with the city itself. At Outside Lands in San Francisco there is no restriction on where to take alcohol and you see tons of underage drinking. You get carded and then wristbanded. So you just find your friend who is 21 and they go and get wristbands at the kiosks where they hand them out. You just take it off and slip it back on your wrist and off you go. At Coachella with you having

When did you attend Outside Lands?  That's our hometown festival and we can hear it from our house.

Also worth mentioning that Outside Lands has Weed Lands.  People over 21 can buy marijuana on site and legally and publicly consume it on the grounds of the festival (although you're supposed to smoke it in designated areas).  We're not all prudes over here.

Just watched this great doc on YouTube https://youtu.be/jjwilAja7Lc

gave me a greater appreciation of coachella. To be honest we are comparing apples to oranges here, Glasto and Coachella were born out of different cultures and they both reflect their own sense of place both geographically, culturally and musically. 

I’ve enjoyed @Suprefan extolling the virtues of Coachella on this thread. The two festivals are not the same and they can both be enjoyed for what they are, not disliked for what they are not

Edited by Hotchilidog
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Butterz said:

When did you attend Outside Lands?  That's our hometown festival and we can hear it from our house.

Also worth mentioning that Outside Lands has Weed Lands.  People over 21 can buy marijuana on site and legally and publicly consume it on the grounds of the festival (although you're supposed to smoke it in designated areas).  We're not all prudes over here.

Ive gone  in 2008, 2016 and 2018. And yeah Weed Lands seems like a cool thing but its not as if people dont smoke in general. And the prudes are the people who make them turn the sound down! You can hear shit if youre at Lands End any farther than the soundboard. I think OSL has some glasto elements like the terrain and weather plus just being a lil hippie ish, though. 

@Hotchilidog there ya go. Its about trying to peel the curtain back cause it gets painted in a certain light. Although Glasto did inspire them, theyve spoken about having gone and wanting to do a european style fest. In the original Documentary youll get that sense. Its similar to the glasto film which shows the randomness and early days, plus the damn music . Although the sad thing is that they cut The Prodigy out of the dvd version. They had them sub Oasis in 2002. Its a shame they didnt address that in the newer film because they highlighted some of the later things with edm  even though they had done it almost 10 years prior while nobody else was doing that. The Noel Gallagher section in this movie is amazing.

Edited by Suprefan
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

For the last time, an act simply cannot call themselves Bishop Briggs.

Well she was called Bishop before and then changed it due to issues.

She just had to cancel tomorrow cause of Covid. No schedule has been released yet. And seems the covid stuff just creeped in and wrecked havoc on the set times. 

@Suprefan Reckon I'd spend so much time in Yuma, especially as it essentially gives you the night time experience of darkness at any time of the day (based on the videos). Can't think of many festivals I've had that at as you usually get the bog standard tents. 

Can imagine @bennyhana22 and the rest of the Electronica/Dance thread spending about three days straight in there too 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zacko said:

@Suprefan Reckon I'd spend so much time in Yuma, especially as it essentially gives you the night time experience of darkness at any time of the day (based on the videos). Can't think of many festivals I've had that at as you usually get the bog standard tents. 

Can imagine @bennyhana22 and the rest of the Electronica/Dance thread spending about three days straight in there too 

Must be a similar vibe to the Steelyard...which I love 

32 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Totally. Once commercial EDM just took over the Sahara tent and then hip hop acts got put in there they didnt have a space for house/techno etc. So they did this. Theres a whole section about it in the newer coachella movie. Now its getting too popular and everyone wants to go inside the Yuma for the dj's and potentially shade. In 2019 it was a haven for a bit when it was hot. You walk in there and the air was blasting in from the sides and just some fat beats going. The Sonora is supposed to be like a dark club for punk bands so theres that too. There is something for everyone if you look on there enough. I also figure you might go to the Do LAb. Its like an Oasis. They spray you with water cannons and that has the dubstep and such  in there along with their guests. they had Diplo, Walker and Royce, VNSSA, Subtronics, Jauz, SG Lewis, Dom Dolla,, Meute and a couple others as guests last week.

img.jpg

18399270-9E1C-4ABB-889B-92AE9F758005.jpeg

2B3B7AD9-3F77-4FE1-823B-B08E0C3E739F.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

Something like the Yuma tent is exactly what Glastonbury needs if they make major changes to SH.

Love the idea of a venue that's blacked out inside... Almost like a 2500 person fresh & black tent 😂 

That would be delightfully disorientating though, going from a dark atmospheric club experience back out into the sunshine. Totally agree, would be great for a revamped SH.

Damn. Run The Jewels were sacrificed to the set times gods. No surprise big add. Bunch of new small acts early in the days now cause of a couple of covid things. And SHM got more time to set up. They just put RTJ in a tent instead of main stage also theyre after IDLES haha.  You can no see Maggie Rogers and fred again without issue. Man that was not a pleasant wait. And more do lab surprises coming!

0DE9448C-14EE-4C0A-AFC9-B8A874217C26.jpeg

5AEB1037-6739-4259-AD4B-619058C29B51.jpeg

CCC68283-DAEC-4D79-91DF-A4A5B0175331.jpeg

37331A4D-A423-4272-A738-4FBAED1F1B7F.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan

@Zacko @bennyhana22  @Supernintendo Chalmers

youtube stream of weekend 2 will feature full sets from the Yuma Tent. Schedule pending but broadcast begins at 1am BST. there has been a replay available right after a respective day is shown so you should be able to catch things every morning I figure. Weekend 2 doesnt have as many acts on it and it  focuses on artists, the fest and the art with interviews and such. 

• Thanks 1

Youtube schedule.

Friday, April 22, 2022

5:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Meute, the Hu, Princess Nokia
6:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Sonora Artists, Bishop Briggs, the Regrettes
7:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Omar Apollo, Carly Rae Jepsen, City Girls
8:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Idles, The Marias, Cordae
9:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Madeon, Run the Jewels, Black Coffee
10:00 PM - Anitta (Full Set)
10:45 PM - Baby Keem (Full Set)
11:30 PM - Harry Styles (Full Set)
— Livestream Rebroadcast —

Saturday, April 23, 2022

5:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Koffee, Amber Mark, Surf Curse
6:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Sonora Artists, Beach Bunny, L’Imperatrice
7:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Wallows, Cuco, 100 gecs
8:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Rina Sawayama, Turnstile, Caroline Polachek
9:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Disclosure, Pabllo Vittar, Steve Lacy
10:00 PM - 88rising’s Head in the Clouds Forever (Partial Set)
10:30 PM - Brockhampton (Full Set)
11:20 PM - Billie Eilish (Full Set)

Sunday, April 24, 2022

5:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Yola, Sampa the Great, Beabadoobee
6:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Sonora Artists, Banda MS, Channel Tres
7:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Orville Peck, Finneas, Maggie Rogers
8:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Vince Staples, Solomun, Dave
9:00 PM - Coachella Curated with Duck Sauce, Fatboy Slim
10:00 PM - Doja Cat (Full Set)
10:55 PM - Swedish House Mafia x The Weeknd (Full Set)

Channel 2 Schedule

(All times listed in Pacific Standard Time)

ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule is subject to change

Friday, April 22, 2022

10:00 PM - Grupo Firme
10:55 PM - Daniel Caesar
11:40 PM - Big Sean
6:00 AM (Sat) - Bonus Sets Rebroadcast
2:00 PM (Sat) - Bonus Sets Rebroadcast

Saturday, April 23, 2022

10:00 PM - Flume 
11:00 PM - Stromae
11:55 AM - Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
6:00 AM (Sun) - Bonus Sets Rebroadcast
2:00 PM (Sun) - Bonus Sets Rebroadcast

Sunday, April 24, 2022

10:00 PM - Karol G
10:50 PM - Måneskin
11:35 PM - Jamie xx
6:00 AM (Mon) - Bonus Sets Rebrodcast

Channel 3 Schedule

(All times listed in Pacific Standard Time)

Schedule is subject to change

Friday, April 22, 2022

10:00 PM - Phoebe Bridgers
11:00 PM - Pink Sweat$
11:45: PM - Louis the Child
6:00 AM (Sat) - Bonus Sets Rebroadcast
2:00 PM (Sat) - Bonus Sets Rebroadcast

Saturday, April 23, 2022

10:00 PM - Danny Elfman
11:00 PM - Isaiah Rashad
12:05 PM - 21 Savage
6:00 AM (Sun) - Bonus Sets Rebroadcast