Coachella

mccdyl001

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m sure you’d appreciate the structures they use at Coachella in the same way, given that they still place a barrier between you and the rain/sun. 

Phew, I'm all for you crazy kids having something new and exciting, as long as there's space for my afternoon nap nap

15 hours ago, mike46 said:

Regardless of what others think of Coachella, it’s all horses for courses. I’ve got mates go every year who regularly do Glasto and they always have a fun time - it’s a different experience but it’s still a chance to watch live music, in the sunshine with your friends, and I reckon that’s better than sitting at home! 

Yep, pretty much agree with this fully. Obviously it's fun to take the piss out of the Coachella crowd and personally I think it pales in comparison to Glastonbury, but I have no doubt that many of the attendees would absolutely despise Glastonbury. Equally the most ridiculous attendees stick out the most and we probably don't get to see the large amount of normal music fans who go. They're both 'festivals' in that they're both events that have a lot of live music but the similarities really end there as far as I can see. 

All that being said everyone should continue to post the influencers etc because it is also very funny. 

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

He does this at every show I think. 

It was not particularly serious although he wasn't doing it on his UK tour that just ended i don't think. Its happened a few times but definitely not every show and not to the same level as 'Alex from Glasto'

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Do the audience at the 2 weeks differ? More influencers in week 1 and more hard-core music fans at week 2 for instance?

This is an interesting question - i've just read this.

https://www.pe.com/2019/04/22/coachella-2019-the-8-differences-between-weekend-1-and-weekend-2/

@Suprefan what are the differences between the weekends lineup wise etc this year?

On 4/15/2022 at 8:12 PM, Beaver89 said:

Watching Princess Nokia... some observations:

The 'ego strip' seems off centre (and disconnected) as if it will be connected and the stage expanded later?

The crowd is remarkably small. Is this because the audience have spent too much money to turn up on time?

Coachella has always baffled me a bit. I get it is on par or at least in league with Glasto but it seems the commercial and US nature of it strips it of much of the soul and relatability that Glasto has. Fully admin there may be a culture clash but considering tickets ride into the 4-figs US and the staging always seems restricted there always seems something a bit off (that said, would go if I could afford it / get tickets)

The 'Ego Strip' is reserved for the headliner each day. The festival will modify the thrust each day based on the headliner's needs/request. 

The crowd is small early on because of the logistics and reality of it. It's 100 degrees and dusty out there in the desert. If you're camping, you may wander in to the festival, but it's insanely hot and dusty and was really windy this year, so sandstorms etc. If you're not camping, it takes at least 90 minutes to drive or shuttle in, walk from the parking lot/shuttle drop off, and get through security checkpoints. 

On 4/16/2022 at 7:57 AM, gfa said:

The main reason is once your in the arena for the day, you can't go back to camp and re-enter. Combined with the heat and thats why it makes sense people stick in the campsite till as late as possible (or tents/bar areas)

That's just not true. It is a trek to leave the festival and go back to camp, taking at least an hour round trip, but you can exit and reenter and many people do this just before sunset, when the wind usually picks up and the temperature drops 30 degrees.

On 4/16/2022 at 2:52 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just watching Bishop Briggs (she’s good) on live stream 1, what’s with the mostly empty pen front right, looking out from the stage? Some sort of VIP area that fills up as the day goes on?

Artist and Guest viewing pit. Unlike most US festivals, Coachella doesn't sell a golden circle, platinum pit, or VIP viewing area up close to the stage. They just have GA and then a small pit to the side for the artists and their guests to watch from.

The VIP tickets that Coachella sells allow access to three areas, only one of which has any view of the stage, but plenty of bars. They were added as a nod to the LA club kids that wanted to come out and party at night before going to the after parties. You can see the main stage VIP area off all the way house left/stage right. 

16 minutes ago, juuceman said:

That's just not true. It is a trek to leave the festival and go back to camp, taking at least an hour round trip, but you can exit and reenter and many people do this just before sunset, when the wind usually picks up and the temperature drops 30 degrees.

My mistake, not sure where i got that from

Watching some of the performances that have been uploaded to YouTube now and, regardless of what you think of their music, acts like Doja and Megan are gonna be fun as hell at Glastonbury. 

I’m also dubious over Matt’s info of them both being on the Pyramid, because with the production they each have they seem tailor made for one of them replacing Dua for a headline slot on Other, so I’m calling bs on at least one of those tip offs he’s apparently had. If they are both on the Pyramid then fair enough, but it makes far more sense to me that one of them would be in for Dua.

Edited by FloorFiller

10 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Watching some of the performances that have been uploaded to YouTube now and, regardless of what you think of their music, acts like Doja and Megan are gonna be fun as hell at Glastonbury. 

I’m also dubious over Matt’s info of them both being on the Pyramid, because with the production they each have they seem tailor made for one of them replacing Dua for a headline slot on Other, so I’m calling bs on at least one of those tip offs he’s apparently had. If they are both on the Pyramid then fair enough, but it makes far more sense to me that one of them would be in for Dua.

Dont think Doja's production is gonna make it overseas. Megan didnt have much. Not sure you guys understand how much rigging is involved and everything. Tame Impala didnt even bring their donut to Glasto in 2019. 

K, its been a busy few days so sorry about being slightly m.i.a. Leaving again today ( your time) and gonna give some thoughts and answer stuff. And ill start with it does not take you 90 mins to get in unless you were reasonably far from the festival.  Some people are willing to stay i. Joshua Tree and make the daily drive which in itself would be almost 90 mins. For me, I usually stay about 20 - 30 mins max away. That includes parking. Then its like a 15 min walk  max to entry depending on the lot you parked in. Shuttles actually have the shortest route into the festival . Its maybe 10 mins tops from drop off to inside. I stopped camping 10 years ago but its not like much has changed with that from then til now. Just some tweaks to improve things. Anyway, another post below to come. And photos. Took a min to comb through 12,000 worth and pick some out. 

Edited by Suprefan
  • Like 1

I saw supre post on twitter one of the reasons for not having alcohol at stages is so that underage people can’t get passed alcohol (and also the extra litter it would cause, never heard of *bins?). Surely a 17 year old getting passed a beer at a festival is the least of their worries when they can get mowed down at school by an automatic weapon. And that aside, why ruin the festival for 95% of the adult attendees for that reason anyway?

*interestingly in the Coachella doc on YouTube they forgot bins for the first ever festival so there was litter everywhere, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that was actually the real reason, they don’t want the aesthetic ruined by some litter.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I saw supre post on twitter one of the reasons for not having alcohol at stages is so that underage people can’t get passed alcohol (and also extra litter 😂). Surely a 17 year old getting passed a beer at a festival is the least of their worries, when they can get mowed down at school by an automatic weapon. And that aside, why ruin the festival for 95% of the adult attendees for that reason anyway?

America is another world to me. Can drive a weapon at 16, can legally carry a literal weapon at 18, can get hold of prescription opioids no questions asked. Alcohol? No chance

4 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

America is another world to me. Can drive a weapon at 16, can legally carry a literal weapon at 18, can get hold of prescription opioids no questions asked. Alcohol? No chance

In America alcohol is bad while guns are good. Cars are an absolute necessity as planning laws make walking anywhere extremely difficult. 

It’s a very strange country that I have no intention of visiting. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

1 minute ago, kaytee... said:

It’s weird because it’s not like there is any real correlation between strictness of laws and alcohol consumption. Sure we have a binge drinking culture in the UK, yet in a lot European countries they have very relaxed drinking laws yet no such issues. Australians are known for liking a drink yet have some really strict drinking laws. It’s just a cultural thing within countries that’s deep rooted either way, and the relative laws have no impact on. There are plenty of arguments to say having stricter laws even make things worse. If the drinking pens have anything to do with stopping underage drinking that really is least of their worries.

29 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I saw supre post on twitter one of the reasons for not having alcohol at stages is so that underage people can’t get passed alcohol (and also the extra litter it would cause, never heard of *bins?). Surely a 17 year old getting passed a beer at a festival is the least of their worries when they can get mowed down at school by an automatic weapon. And that aside, why ruin the festival for 95% of the adult attendees for that reason anyway?

*interestingly in the Coachella doc on YouTube they forgot bins for the first ever festival so there was litter everywhere, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that was actually the real reason, they don’t want the aesthetic ruined by some litter.

No offence but there’s a literal tik tok meme going round about making statements like this 😂 bad timing.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

For context that would be like going to Glastonbury but traveling to and from Bristol every day. 

Sober. 

Well thats Palm Springs to the festival for context. Joshua Tree is double that distance ( bristol glasto ) 

Gonna tag a  bunch of ya'll cause quoting doesnt work like it does on other forums. hope you remember your posts.

Forgot who asked or was curious. the front pens in front of most of the stages. Those are for people with Guest Passes. They are a tier above VIP. They allow access to that area along with the artist backstage and free golf cart rides to other stages. I personally have had them one year because I won them. they were nice. You technically can buy them but its only included with the Safari Tent camping package. so if you have $10,000 to spend for 2 people, by all means. and its $1500 extra per person for 2 more people and they get a guest pass also. So everyone who is in there has a connection with the festival and industry along with celebs. There is the ultimate all access wristband, The Empire Pass. but thats reserved for a small amount of people. I didnt see what those looked like but they just have a roman numeral on them that represent the festival year.

@gfaHow is Indio which is 225 kilometers from Los Angeles part of the largest metro area in the us? Lineup differences are minimal. Its literally 95% of the same line up except the Do Lab has different artists and surprises. 

@Gnomicide Difference in audience is kind of along those lines. Sure theres lots of influencers weekend 1 but they still exist weekend 2. Its a matter of being first. But they dont go away. Plenty of parties and everything happening outside the fest. It has been considered a bit more chill 2nd weekend with crowds cause they kind of know what to expect. And Theres lots of people who watch the streams of acts they know they wont see on their respective weekend and not spoil themselves weekend 2.

@incident Regarding the tents. They have to withstand high winds and potential sandstorms, so im sure thhey meet whatever criteria there is in the uk. Theyll be tested this friday because there is  going to have a wind advisory starting in a few hours for the next 36 hours in the region. Gusts as high as 60kph expected friday night. Also, theres ways to get aerial shots. Theres a ferris wheel. And they have their own rainbow tower. photos coming. And there are a couple spots to get elevation from the grounds viewpoint btw, theyre in the terrace.

@squirrelarmy when are we not allowed to drink in that weather. I had my bottle of water right in hand. If you meant alcohol, why the hell are you gonna get piss drunk in 35 degree heat? We'll get to the alcohol and no apparent ''freedom'' later on.  Also, when the hell is anyone being bussed to and from the festival thats camping?  The shuttles are for anyone staying at hotels in the area. I took one in 2019 because parking had filled up early and it was a breeze. Camping is literally next to the festival grounds, no bus needed.

@Beaver89 The ego strip is off center because of how they split off the guest pass area and the rest.  And yeah, its early, unless there is somebody really popular early on there isnt a sizeable crowd til 3pm or so. The soul is there, go find it.

@chazwwe I do agree with the camera and direction work this year. I watched some of the streams and didnt dig it. Trust me, it has been much better in years past. Childish Gambino was great when he headlined cause he had the steadi cam follow him the whole whole along with other angles on the screens. But yeah, there were less aerial shots and crowd stuff, it was weird. Thats not normal for them to kind of fall short in the cinematography department for the livestreams and the fest. Lots of people bummed out how Doja didnt show up the screens as much as they thought. Didnt connect that well overall. SHM was similar and had a slight disconnect.

And yeah, the most interesting thing is that the one stage most of you lot would agree is the one to be at is not on the livestream. The Sonora Tent. Its enclosed, has air conditioning and a bar in the back. so you could watch all of the indie and guitar bands to your hearts desire in comfort without getting melted by the sun and beer in hand. it meant to resemble a club.

Now, alright. So, this weekend was not perfect. I have no issue with pointing out the mistakes made by the organizers and of course covid is partial blame but not entirely cause some of this is basic. Fortunately they can be fixed so Weekend 2 should be better.  So they went cashless, which I dont think is terrible because most people dont carry cash there anyway. Except that you got charged tax now which was lame. But it also makes you not think about how much yorue spending. Yes, you guys would have a fit at food prices. Ill take photos of them this weekend and then have that whole argument. Beer was 10 quid for heineken and some craft beer fyi. So they have lockers inside the fest so you can store some things and not have to lug it around. There seemed to be a problem retreiving your reservation which is not cool because theyre pretty pricey.

The merch line was pretty insane. You guys are going to think why people would be mad enough to stand in line  for 2 hours to buy a t shirt but when its literally a whole store of wall to wall things, you want something. I did personally stand in line for about 90 mins early on saturday to get a few things, but thats my choice and i had the second weekend to see who i missed. Water was a big issue. So there are free water stations around the grounds. Early on friday only a couple of them worked. Later on when they all worked some had little pressure so it took longer to refill. The other thing with water was that they used to have water exclusive vndors on the main fields. So if you wanted a bottle you just walked a minute or 2 and found a cart. Those were totally gone which is a joke. That shouldve never been removed. No reason to make people walk farther than needed to hydrate, even though the weather was overall in the sweet spot of warm with some wind all weekend. The water stations were also not labelebd. They previously had signs above them so you could find them. not this time.

The shuttle thing which I think confused some people again were the hotel shuttles. It seems they were delayed a bit at the start of friday, but again, not cool when you say theyre scheduled to start at a certain time and you leave people waiting in the sun. stage wise the Yuma Tent ( coachella version of the glade ) had the biggest logistical issue. it was almost impossible to get in there at certain times. Wanted to see Purple Disco Machine, no chance at all. I heard somebody paid a guard $200 to get into Richie Hawtin. Its almost unforgiveable to let this happen. but oddly enough people are getting into that type of edm now so tons of people wanna get in there since it got moved out of the Sahara tent in favor of hip hop. Its just like sonora, totally enclosed with air conditioning and lots of cool lights of course. Idris Elba djed in there in 2019 for example. And theres the Disco Shark hanging above the dj which is an unofficial mascot of the fest along with the roadrunner.

So yeah, some shitty stuff happened and thats not cool cause they affect a lot of things. Security wasnt an issue when entering and no long queues to get in there early and prob only queues when its around 5-6pm when the late party people come and some people who maybe took a break from camping. Food quess kind of whatever, although for some reason all the gluten free food was only in VIP? Not smart at all.

Look, I get as to why it seems like its just some elitist slog and not worth the time or money. but I honestly dont pay attention to the 1% of people who make it seem likes its just that and nothing else. So many people are going for the music. This year you kind of have to cut some people slack. Nobody has gone in 3 years, same as glasto. Dont think people arent going to cry or try to take every selfie possible when they hit the farm in 2 months? thats totally happening. The art lends itself for you to take photos. It always changes anyway. Like you guys wouldve got a kick out of the hippos building a rocket ship in 2019. Like why would the apparent most fake and trendy fest have an art installation with fucking hippos?  And I mean theres a reason all but 2 stages are covered, cause the sun is out, the opposite of glasto. 

Although it seems most people didnt bother with some of the other acts on the stream? So anyone watch Anitta, NIKI, Rich Brian,  Grupo Firme, Banda MS,Joji or  Head In The Clouds? Somebody on here knows who Utada Hikaru is and played Kingdom Hearts, cause thats some rare stuff   along with the 2NE1 reunion which blew up twitter. That trended higher than Coachella after they hit the stage. @Matt42 had said that Glasto takes more risks with the lineup, but theres no way Emily could book some of these acts and give them the same stage time and such. When is there going to be a Mexican ranchera group on the Pyramid at 7pm?  Or a Asian record label showcase with some KPop at 8pm Saturday night? As much as it wants to be seen as the bookings looking weak, I dont know how Anitta bringing out Snoop Dogg during her very first song as like something to scoff over for example. Trust me, on the poster, things look like theyre not that good but when the schedule comes out there is so much chaos to navigate. There were some brutal conflicts, but at least you can split sets. Thats not possible at glasto.  Coachella tries to represent the region of southern california and its local surroundings. Plenty of culture here so a festival attempting to celebrate all that and being pretty global is seen as a not good thing I guess. That also plays into the point of a music festival which is to discover. I count 34 acts out of 150+ that are repeats. Whats the count of this years glasto? Its probably about half of what the first poster has for the moment. Sometimes so much unfamiliar stuff makes people hesitant. We all want comfortable things. Which is ok, but you have to move forward. And how did I get to see some hardcore bands along with Harry Styles within hours of each other? 

Anyway, theres all that. I had a great weekend. Arcade Fire, Turnstile, Danny Elfman, Orville Peck, Fred again, Stromae  and Dave were some highlights. Its almost time to do it all over again and get to see almost an entire different slate of bands.  Harry was a lot of fun and did what a headliner should do. Billie was alright.  i would say the crowd was whatever because she is local and she just did 3 nights in LA 2 weeks ago. HER SOUND WAS GOOD. I walked around and found the dead spots with the speaker towers and then got to a spot where it all sounded fine. Although her mic still kept picking up the screams of the crowd cause it seems its not gated into oblivion like it should be. Swedish House Mafia and The Weeknd was what it was gonan be. SHM getting overshadowd by Abel. and Mike Dean. Them having to cram their music into 40 mins for the 8 million dollar man was funny. Production couldve had some more done to it but you dont get many chances to use that big of a stage set up anyway. Also, if you saw the crowds sort of low energy at the end of the night. Well, its hot, and 99% of people in attendance hadnt been to a festival in 3 years. You would feel the same way after trying to walk around all day seeing music. and just wear a bandana, the dust wont get into your lungs and you dont get coachella flu, or covid i guess.

Oh yeah and I totally want to write a shit talking rant, but ill keep it to myself. Think i spent enough typing now.

PHOTOS

4A17CCD1-7E64-40A4-9787-5C0327BF3295.jpeg

254D00F1-6707-4D05-9120-009612945534.jpeg

3DD1CCA6-352C-46D2-A3FB-2661ADD0E58D.jpeg

EFC9D556-833E-4400-882C-D5497B5E57F7.jpeg

012779F3-F780-47F2-9F46-B1826761B02E.jpeg

B37D4DEB-50E5-4BF1-B290-8E474F47A832.jpeg

CACD4247-9D71-4DB3-9BB5-997972DE1B5A.jpeg

BE170A19-B839-4A3F-9D3B-11A5CCAF768B.jpeg

405743B0-8E81-4420-8A03-580CC04039CE.jpeg

59B56420-3FEB-4461-ACE3-2EC601F1F96D.jpeg

315BE401-3CD7-4815-A918-B246951D4A45.jpeg