Coachella

mccdyl001

So this devolved into make us appear like narcissist assholes, great chat everyone. Maybe we should send the person who wrote this article to Glastonbury and you too will be the worst festival on the entire planet. There are thoughts and photos to come and they can be objective if you like. But we'll see when i get around to it. Gotta get ready for weekend 2 and one day having the weather at 20 is a real treat for once.

https://www.insider.com/coachella-real-life-photos-what-its-actually-like-disappointing-2022-4#the-experience-can-be-overwhelming-and-exhausting-19

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Coachella in Indio, California is the most famous music festival in the world."

[citation needed]

More people have heard of Coachella than Glastonbury I reckon in fairness because of its social media presence.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

So this devolved into make us appear like narcissist assholes, great chat everyone. Maybe we should send the person who wrote this article to Glastonbury and you too will be the worst festival on the entire planet. There are thoughts and photos to come and they can be objective if you like. But we'll see when i get around to it. Gotta get ready for weekend 2 and one day having the weather at 20 is a real treat for once.

https://www.insider.com/coachella-real-life-photos-what-its-actually-like-disappointing-2022-4#the-experience-can-be-overwhelming-and-exhausting-19

Jesus - either that article is incredible satire or whoever wrote it has clearly never been to a festival or any major event before in their life. People sitting down on the grass in the sunshine? How dare they! I also like their shock of seeing one water bottle on the floor… they’re going to have an aneurism if they ever see the state of the pyramid after a headliner!  

Regardless of what others think of Coachella, it’s all horses for courses. I’ve got mates go every year who regularly do Glasto and they always have a fun time - it’s a different experience but it’s still a chance to watch live music, in the sunshine with your friends, and I reckon that’s better than sitting at home! 

Hope you had a great weekend Supre. Not seen many of the sets yet, did watch Fred Again though who looked like he smashed it! 

EDIT - just saw this from the Fred gig, really hope he turns up on the farm!  https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ccg5AN8JzQO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= 

Edited by mike46
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

So this devolved into make us appear like narcissist assholes, great chat everyone

It’s not the influencer status of the festival that has put me off. I’ve done hot dusty festivals. What made those bearable is having the option to go and cool off somewhere any time I wanted. I could pop back to the tent for a change of clothes any time I wanted to, get a couple of showers or even have a dip in the river. 

What also made it very comfortable was being able to buy some cold cans of beer and take them anywhere I wanted to drink in a rare spot of shade. 

Being bussed to and from your camping and forced to queue for hours to get anywhere without having access to drink doesn’t sound much like a music festival. 

52 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

If whoever wrote that article considers those to be "mud puddles", "crowds" and "trash everywhere" god only knows what they'd make of a British festival

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Why are you so defensive of coachella? You got shares in it or something? You’re on a Glastonbury forum so any chat about coachella is bound to lead to comparisons between the 2 and from the comparisons, Glastonbury sounds a lot better I’m afraid (can’t compare myself as never been to coachella) 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

You can find articles like this about anything in the world! Its not like you take this article seriously so why even bother posting it. I have no issue with Coachella but its the complete opposite to glastonbury so its clearly not going to down well on a forum centered around a 'hippie' festival that has super lenient alcohol / re-entry / everything policies.

I think the issue is that over here we're only being exposed to what we'd consider to be the worst aspects of the festival. Coachella looks like a beautiful festival and the fantastic weather just adds to the attraction for me. Music-wise, a lot of genres are well-represented and although a great deal of it isn't to my taste, the same could be said of Glastonbury. I'd love to go one day, I don't think it'll ever happen now but if I did, I'd definitely go with an open mind, avoiding the temptation to make direct comparisons. 

I'm sure there's much that Coachella does better than Glastonbury and vice versa. Maybe a combination of both would result in the perfect festival? But to compare them seems impossible and unfair, to both events. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think the issue is that over here we're only being exposed to what we'd consider to be the worst aspects of the festival. Coachella looks like a beautiful festival and the fantastic weather just adds to the attraction for me. Music-wise, a lot of genres are well-represented and although a great deal of it isn't to my taste, the same could be said of Glastonbury. I'd love to go one day, I don't think it'll ever happen now but if I did, I'd definitely go with an open mind, avoiding the temptation to make direct comparisons. 

I'm sure there's much that Coachella does better than Glastonbury and vice versa. Maybe a combination of both would result in the perfect festival? But to compare them seems impossible and unfair, to both events. 

The only thing I can see Coachella does better is having more stable, guaranteed weather, even then it might be too hot for some. Some of the stage production on the main stage probably looks better than the Pyramid, other than that there is literally nothing else you can say is better there than at Glastonbury.

What one thing do you think you’d like to bring to Glastonbury from there?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Coachella looks like a beautiful festival and the fantastic weather just adds to the attraction for me.

It's personal taste, but beautiful isn't a word that'd ever occur to me. From admittedly limited pictures and video, I get the impression that it's basically a flat site with a few palm trees dotted around the place, and a layout designed in excel - whenever I see an aerial shot, my gut reaction is along the lines of "fuck that looks depressing".

Utilitarian would be the word I'd use to describe the aesthetic.

9 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

What one thing do you think you’d like to bring to Glastonbury from there?

From what I've seen, I think I'd have to say the variety of the different stage types, coupled with the production values within each, which you already touched upon. I appreciate that they probably only achieve this through the revenue from corporate sponsorship but still, I prefer it to the generic tents and stages setup. My favourite stages at Glastonbury are those with a little more creativity in the environment, I can only imagine what the Shangri-la and Silver Hayes teams could come up with if they had a larger budget. 

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

From what I've seen, I think I'd have to say the variety of the different stage types, coupled with the production values within each, which you already touched upon. I appreciate that they probably only achieve this through the revenue from corporate sponsorship but still, I prefer it to the generic tents and stages setup. My favourite stages at Glastonbury are those with a little more creativity in the environment, I can only imagine what the Shangri-la and Silver Hayes teams could come up with if they had a larger budget. 

I actually said further up the thread there would be some merit in some venues at Glastonbury having the arch type structures they’ve got. Places like Avalon and Williams Green are regularly far too busy for their capacity and unless you’re in the tent you don’t get a fraction of the experience. They would enable people outside to still enjoy performances as well (and enable bigger/better production). The trade off would be losing the character and the quintessentially British aspect of the marquee type tents Glastonbury have.

8 hours ago, incident said:

It's personal taste, but beautiful isn't a word that'd ever occur to me. From admittedly limited pictures and video, I get the impression that it's basically a flat site with a few palm trees dotted around the place, and a layout designed in excel - whenever I see an aerial shot, my gut reaction is along the lines of "fuck that looks depressing".

Utilitarian would be the word I'd use to describe the aesthetic.

That's interesting, isn't it? Because to my eye, those palm tree laden grounds with the mountains in the background look beautiful. And each stage of the day looks equally great, from the unbridled sunshine throughout the day, to the orange glow at sunset and the neon explosions at nighttime. 

Glastonbury has its own unique beauty of course, and each of the stages of day/night are as spectacular as Coachella's. They're just different. And very difficult to directly compare, which I guess was my original point.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The trade off would be losing the character and the quintessentially British aspect of the marquee type tents Glastonbury have.

Maybe that's the next stage of Glastonbury's evolution? Is that what's going to keep the public interested going forward? Like a great deal of modern pop music, I won't be amongst the target audience for future Glastonbury, maybe a stripy tent or a basic stage setup won't be enough for a generation that places importance on style as well as substance?

The festival has been here before. It looks nothing like the versions of 1971, 1994 or even 2008. I wonder what the place will look like in 2025? 

Maybe that's the next stage of Glastonbury's evolution? Is that what's going to keep the public interested going forward? Like a great deal of modern pop music, I won't be amongst the target audience for future Glastonbury, maybe a stripy tent or a basic stage setup won't be enough for a generation that places importance on style as well as substance?

The festival has been here before. It looks nothing like the versions of 1971, 1994 or even 2008. I wonder what the place will look like in 2025? 

Hover stages

Edited by philipsteak

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I actually said further up the thread there would be some merit in some venues at Glastonbury having the arch type structures they’ve got. Places like Avalon and Williams Green are regularly far too busy for their capacity and unless you’re in the tent you don’t get a fraction of the experience.

I've had a number of wet (or overly sunny) years when I've very much appreciated the marquee tents.

That's interesting, isn't it? Because to my eye, those palm tree laden grounds with the mountains in the background look beautiful. And each stage of the day looks equally great, from the unbridled sunshine throughout the day, to the orange glow at sunset and the neon explosions at nighttime. 

Glastonbury has its own unique beauty of course, and each of the stages of day/night are as spectacular as Coachella's. They're just different. And very difficult to directly compare, which I guess was my original point.

Coachella is an awesome venue to watch acts in, as you said the surroundings are the best you will have. Being able to see mountain through the back of a main stage. Sound is awesome and the layout is great. The choices of places to buy essentials was limited to one hut when I went and food choices were something hot was literally one hut outside the camp.