Coachella

mccdyl001

15 minutes ago, 1986 said:

I'm not a parent and don't plan to be, so this comes from a detached point of view so take from that what you want.

But with WAP being the common example here of corrupting 14 year old girls. Maybe people should consider maybe this song wasn't written for a 14 year old girl. It's a club banger for adults to get down to and for adult women to, yes, maybe feel some empowerment, or seen, on the idea that their desires are as filthy and legitimate as any man's. And when these 14 year olds grow up it'll be in a better world where they can be as expressive as they want without feeling shamed by it.

(I know I'm making WAP sound like some sort of world changing classic which might sound dumb but all culture makes a small bit of difference somewhere, and it did feel fresh when it came out and still does). 

And obviously parents can't watch what their child takes in 24 hours a day especially now when they likely have a whole world of god knows what in their hands. But with that being the case WAP or any other dirty lyric song should be the least of their problems, and maybe parents should be less inclined to blame a song for putting sexual ideas in a kid's head and more inclined to have the conversation about sex with their children first so something as innocuous as a song doesn't completely shatter their young minds like people seem to think it will.

That’s not strictly true, TikTok is another platform for artists (or their people) to get songs trending. Songs trend and then either have some sort of linked activity that everyone replicates, or the songs are used as the theme tune for the videos people post. DC and MTS have both had songs trend massively on there, and the demographic is very definitely not ‘club banger for adults’. 

16 minutes ago, Miyn said:

She's probably the act I'm most looking forward to seeing at Latitude this year. Punisher was my AOTY in 2020, and her setlist is pretty heavy on that album, so seeing it live will be awesome. Excited to hear what she puts out next as it's approaching two years since that album. If she releases something of that quality again I think she could become huge, she's already sold out all of her UK shows with demand for a lot more.

Yeah absolutely agree, been living life for that festival moment since 2020, quite like the Latitude gig now, will make up for the slight disappointment if she’s a dross 6pm on the other stage rather than the headlining moment we all want 🤞

and no pressure backing up that album Phoebe, sidelines is allegedly all she’s putting out this year so we might have a little wait, she is a busy person this year so I’ll let her off.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s not strictly true, TikTok is another platform for artists (or their people) to get songs trending. Songs trend and then either have some sort of linked activity that everyone replicates, or the songs are used as the theme tune for the videos people post. DC and MTS have both had songs trend massively on there, and the demographic is very definitely not ‘club banger for adults’. 

TikTok ≠ 14 Year Old Girls

I confess to not really getting TikTok but in my job as a bookseller we have over the last couple of years become used to books blowing up on TikTok and the customers buying these titles are definitely more the 18-25 demographic than the under 16s.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Absolutely, like I said kids have their phones and are going to see things not meant for them. But my point still stands that parents should be up front about the content and explain it to them, if they're old enough to grasp what the song is saying then parents should be recognising that and giving them the facts. Not trying to hide it from them in a world where that's impossible to do.

6 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I confess to not really getting TikTok but in my job as a bookseller we have over the last couple of years become used to books blowing up on TikTok and the customers buying these titles are definitely more the 18-25 demographic than the under 16s.

Well I came off TikTok after a month because my FYP was mostly teenage girls doing some sort of trend to these sort of artists. I don’t really watch normal TV and never listen to commercial radio so I’d not really heard of DC or MTS until they appeared on the poster, as soon as I listened to a few of their songs I instantly recognise them from TikTok. My point really is that there are many mediums now, and songs aren’t necessarily designed to be heard in clubs full of 18+ year olds, they’re also deliberately pushed on mediums that attract a much younger audience.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well I came off TikTok after a month because my FYP was mostly teenage girls doing some sort of trend to these sort of artists.

Do you know how the algorithm on TikTok works? Outed yourself there lol.

14 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well I came off TikTok after a month because my FYP was mostly teenage girls doing some sort of trend to these sort of artists. I don’t really watch normal TV and never listen to commercial radio so I’d not really heard of DC or MYS until they appeared on the poster, as soon as I listened to a few of their songs I instantly recognise them from TikTok. My point really is that there are many mediums now, and songs aren’t necessarily designed to be heard in clubs full of 18+ year olds, they’re also deliberately pushed on mediums that attract a much younger audience.

The trollish response would be that the fact that your time on TikTok was spent watching young girls dancing to explicit songs isn't the rest of our problems.

But seriously the internet in general means that unedited explicit content is available to all, my kids are only 6 and 3 but already I don't look forward to trying to navigate their transition towards maturity online as what is an isn't appropriate isn't an easy thing to judge even with complete control which you obviously don't have but I'm aware that's an issue between me and my children not one between me and the artists.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I know exactly how it works, but I wasn’t on it long enough for it to learn what I wanted to watch. My feed was also full of idiots doing the same joke about ‘getting on the bag’ and nauseating couples carrying out dance trends in public places, I was just as disinterested in those.

18 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Nah at the start when you first set up your account it’s like that regardless of who you are, takes a short while for it to work out who you are. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not being allowed to drink in those kind of temperatures is ridiculous. 

Alcohol dehydrates you - i agree the rule is stupid but water is what you want

Probably not for me, but each to their own hey...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/18/coachella-high-energy-hedonism-surprise-stars-and-covid-concerns

"Coachella is sometimes as much about finding the perfect selfie light as it is musical act" check!

"the giant VIP section that segregates the event between the plebeians and what one passerby calls “Los Angeles privilege”, ie those who can afford a special wristband for the nice views, loos and bars" check!

"where fashion is more feted than the program itself" check!

"fairly large stable of forgettables whose TikTok numbers are the only notable thing about them (and some of whom clearly aren’t ready to perform to large crowds)" check!

"spirit-crushing queues for a cab home, or to get out of the car park at the end of the night" check!

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

I’m a secondary school teacher. Kids are all over TikTok, Insta and Snapchat. The idea of using Facebook or Twitter is anathema to them. I’d say >90% of 13-16 year olds use Snap, >80% are on Insta and >70% are on TikTok. 

13 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I’m a secondary school teacher. Kids are all over TikTok, Insta and Snapchat. The idea of using Facebook or Twitter is anathema to them. I’d say >90% of 13-16 year olds use Snap, >80% are on Insta and >70% are on TikTok. 

Glad to hear this, get social media back to stupid vids, fun trends for young people and cute animals. FB and Twitter are pits of people spouting toxic shite. 

Edited by 1986

12 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

But I'm guessing those numbers are pretty similar for 18-25 year olds they wouldn't use Facebook and do use TikTok.

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

But I'm guessing those numbers are pretty similar for 18-25 year olds they wouldn't use Facebook and do use TikTok.

I wouldn’t know - just making it known that anecdotally the idea younger teens don’t see stuff on TikTok is nonsense. 

43 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I wouldn’t know - just making it known that anecdotally the idea younger teens don’t see stuff on TikTok is nonsense. 

I'm not saying that there aren't teens on TikTok just that it isn't a teen only space, that it's wildly inappropriate to have explicit lyrics on.

3 hours ago, mcshed said:

I'm not saying that there aren't teens on TikTok just that it isn't a teen only space, that it's wildly inappropriate to have explicit lyrics on.

Time to start a petition telling youtube to take the WAP music video down then?