Coachella

mccdyl001

Watched a couple of sets, hope they're made accessible somewhere at some point as I missed a couple and would like to go back and watch a few.

Arcade Fire looked fantastic. They always look like they're having the best time on stage and at Coachella it was no different. No boring parts of the set and the new songs are sounding great, you could tell how much it meant for them to be playing gigs and festivals again, especially for Win. I could really feel it when they restarted Lookout Kid when he got emotional and said "I don't know about you but it's been a hard couple of fucking years." Although you don't get much energy from the Coachella livestreams, that moment definitely came through. I really hope they play Glastonbury now, they're probably the band I most want to see live. If they're playing a secret set somewhere, I'd be tempted to camp out by that stage for a while to get a good spot.

Billie Eilish looked a little flat to me. The show looked good, but when you've got one of the biggest budgets of the year to put on a headline show it's hard for it to look bad. She seems more focused on jumping around and conveying energy rather than making the songs sound as good as possible. She was definitely miming a lot of it, or at least singing very quietly. It can't just be put down to audio issues, as when she talked mid song the vocals were at a decent level and without any effect on. While during the songs a lot of the time, you could mostly hear the backing track with compression on the vocals. I won't be seeing her at Glastonbury, but I'm glad I watched the set and saw her at 2019 as I know it's not for me now.

I watched a bit of Doja Cat and MTS which I know are two controversial artists on here. My verdict is that I can't stand them. I think their music is terrible and really isn't my thing. I think the lyrics are horrendous, although others think they're a great display of female empowerment etc. Debates about it are pretty common on here, but without wanting to start another one, I do think it's kind of ingenuine when someone posts contrasting lyrics, e.g. The Beatles - Run For Your Life or Led Zeppelin - The Lemon Song. They aren't the best Beatles or Zeppelin lyrics, and I'm not a fan of them either, but they really aren't on the same level as DC or MTS's lyricism. It doesn't annoy me when people are fans of that kind of music, as everyone's got different tastes, but the thing that annoys me is that it gets shown to people that are too young to be exposed to it. I'm not on TikTok, but I've heard that a couple of their songs are pretty big on there, as well as Spotify. My sister, who's 14, knows the lyrics to some of their songs and probably heard some of them in 2020. That's the thing that creeps me out and makes me dislike the songs the most. If someone messaged your daughter the lyrical contents of a similar song to WAP, but with the genders switched, you'd be pretty fucking pissed, and you probably wouldn't take "they're lyrics to a new song I'm writing" as an excuse. You'd want some kind of repercussion for whoever sent it. But when it's written by someone fairly well-known and on a social media app, people don't care as much. I'm obviously not a fan, and I'll stay well clear of it at Glastonbury this year.

I managed to watch a bit of Phoebe Bridgers, but could only watch the second half of it as the livestream wouldn't let me go back any further. From what I saw she was great, fantastic voice and presence on stage as well as a solid backing band. I Know The End was amazing, the visuals complemented the music completely, but I'm not sure if that's something she's bringing on tour or if she'll be able to bring it to Glastonbury. I've got tickets to Latitude as well, where she's headlining the tent one night, so if she doesn't headline Park on the Friday, I should hopefully be able to get something similar at Latitude. I liked how the book slowly set on fire for the last song until it was completely on fire by the end of the song. It looked like a real moment. Only complaint is that she didn't play one of my favourites, Saviour Complex.

If anyone has the full Phoebe performance available, please let me know. Wouldn't mind watching a couple other acts sets if they become available at some point as well. I'd give Harry Styles set a watch, as fans seem to rate it but I've never really listened to his music.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Miyn said:

That's the thing that creeps me out and makes me dislike the songs the most. If someone messaged your daughter the lyrical contents of a similar song to WAP, but with the genders switched, you'd be pretty fucking pissed, and you probably wouldn't take "they're lyrics to a new song I'm writing" as an excuse. You'd want some kind of repercussion for whoever sent it. But when it's written by someone fairly well-known and on a social media app, people don't care as much.

This is a weird way to view music. Yes it would also be weird if MTS sent explicit lyrics to a child. But she didn’t, and she’s not signing directly to your sister or daughter or whatever. Her music isn’t made for children.

On 4/18/2022 at 5:15 AM, MaxPower said:

That Danny Elfman set looked insane, absolutely needed on the farm.

The Simpsons tune is my favourite - imagine tripping balls and stumbling on to that.

I would completely lose my mind. AND nightmare before Christmas!

Anyone got any insider info that this could be a possibility? The Eaviseseses look at this forum, right? They must see how many Simpsons fans go to Glastonbury!

9 hours ago, Miyn said:

I watched a bit of Doja Cat and MTS which I know are two controversial artists on here. My verdict is that I can't stand them. I think their music is terrible and really isn't my thing. I think the lyrics are horrendous, although others think they're a great display of female empowerment etc. Debates about it are pretty common on here, but without wanting to start another one, I do think it's kind of ingenuine when someone posts contrasting lyrics, e.g. The Beatles - Run For Your Life or Led Zeppelin - The Lemon Song. They aren't the best Beatles or Zeppelin lyrics, and I'm not a fan of them either, but they really aren't on the same level as DC or MTS's lyricism. It doesn't annoy me when people are fans of that kind of music, as everyone's got different tastes, but the thing that annoys me is that it gets shown to people that are too young to be exposed to it. I'm not on TikTok, but I've heard that a couple of their songs are pretty big on there, as well as Spotify. My sister, who's 14, knows the lyrics to some of their songs and probably heard some of them in 2020. That's the thing that creeps me out and makes me dislike the songs the most. If someone messaged your daughter the lyrical contents of a similar song to WAP, but with the genders switched, you'd be pretty fucking pissed, and you probably wouldn't take "they're lyrics to a new song I'm writing" as an excuse. You'd want some kind of repercussion for whoever sent it. But when it's written by someone fairly well-known and on a social media app, people don't care as much. I'm obviously not a fan, and I'll stay well clear of it at Glastonbury this year.

You're not the first person - and won't be the last person - to moan about hip hop artists playing Glastonbury on the basis of things like taste and propriety - but you likely are the first person to act as the morality police only about the women.

I think it’s a fair point, it’s a topic that always raises a lot of whataboutery, that doesn’t change the fact that many people would probably be uncomfortable for their young daughters singing along to the lyrics of WAP. It doesn’t really matter what other people have sung before that does it? Having spent a brief period of time on TikTok around lockdown artists like MTS are very prevalent on there, their songs trend and end up being consumed and mimicked by teenage girls. If people are fine with that then that’s ok, but some people might not be.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think it’s a fair point, it’s a topic that always raises a lot of whataboutery, that doesn’t change the fact that many people would probably be uncomfortable for their young daughters singing along to the lyrics of WAP. It doesn’t really matter what other people have sung before that does it?

It does if - in the same post - you hand wave away a song about killing a woman as being basically fine.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It does if - in the same post - you hand wave away a song about killing a woman as being basically fine.

But it’s all a bit muddled isn’t it? When was that song written, and would that sing be acceptable now if written by men? I’m not waving anything away, that was the whole point of my post, the lyrics to WAP aren’t anymore or less acceptable for a 14 year old girl to be singing just because some old white blokes sung something worse several decades ago. Whataboutery at its finest.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But it’s all a bit muddled isn’t it? When was that song written, and would that sing be acceptable now if written by men? I’m not waving anything away, that was the whole point of my post, the lyrics to WAP aren’t anymore or less acceptable for a 14 year old girl to be singing just because some old white blokes sing something worse ever so decades ago. Whataboutery at its finest.

I agree that its context dependent and has myriad grey areas, but it depends what you mean by 'acceptable for a 14 year old girl'.  I suspect most of us were that age or thereabouts when we were first exposed to mature content, be it Derek and Clive, Friggin in the Riggin, Some Girls, Jesus Fuck, Me So Horny or Just Don't Bite It.  

At G22 it's up to the parents to police what any minors in their charge do or don't get exposed to.

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Why do people clutch their pearls so much when women have explicit lyrics, but ignore when men do?

Also "how would you feel if your daughter heard/sang/read it" but not your son? Boys can listen to anything they want about pussies, but girls need to be protected from that filth.

11 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Also "how would you feel if your daughter heard/sang/read it" but not your son? Boys can listen to anything they want about pussies, but girls need to be protected from that filth.

I’m not sure that’s the point is it, it’s difficult for boys to literally take the lead from the lyrics because they don’t actually have the anatomy for it. You’d assume the same conversations would be being had in reverse if it was a male singing the same thing.

57 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

This is a weird way to view music. Yes it would also be weird if MTS sent explicit lyrics to a child. But she didn’t, and she’s not signing directly to your sister or daughter or whatever. Her music isn’t made for children.

Why is it all over tiktok so? Most of her fans are under 18. The poster you’re replying to is spot on. 

Just now, Madyaker said:

Why is it all over tiktok so? Most of her fans are under 18. The poster you’re replying to is spot on. 

Children some times consume entertainment not meant for them, I know I did. Doesn’t mean the artist shouldn’t promote it, or that a musician shouldn’t play a festival.

same arguments for banning grand theft auto years ago.

all a bit Mary Whitehouse this.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Miyn said:

I Know The End was amazing, the visuals complemented the music completely, but I'm not sure if that's something she's bringing on tour or if she'll be able to bring it to Glastonbury. I've got tickets to Latitude as well, where she's headlining the tent one night, so if she doesn't headline Park on the Friday, I should hopefully be able to get something similar at Latitude

We will hear that song end a headlining festival set as it was destined to do somewhere this summer!

On the topic of the lyrics, yes they are explicit but they are undoubtedly empowering in my opinion. I'm a big rock fan and the guys have been singing songs like this forever. I think parents will make their own judgement on what they think is appropriate for their kids, I suspect that kids will listen to what they want anyway.

I saw some the Doja Cat videos for the weekend and it just isn't for me. I do not like the music, it's as simple as that. It was however quite the spectacle and if Doja does bring that production to the farm then a lot of people are going to have a lot fun enjoying it. Each to their own and all that.

Edited by Hotchilidog

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Who’s saying she shouldn’t play the festival?

She can play it if she wants but her “music” sounds shit to my ears so I’ll be elsewhere. 

My take on Coachella so far is that it’s a TV spectacle and one for the influencers to say they were there. Other than that it seems like a total crapfest. Not being allowed to drink in those kind of temperatures is ridiculous. 

58 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You're not the first person - and won't be the last person - to moan about hip hop artists playing Glastonbury on the basis of things like taste and propriety - but you likely are the first person to act as the morality police only about the women.

Just to clarify, I'm not moaning about Hip Hop artists playing Glastonbury. A lot of it isn't to my tastes, but I still think they should continue to book what's new and popular, as they've been doing it for years and although it isn't my musical preference right now, it has been in the past and might be in the future. If DC and MTS are popular, they shouldn't be denied a booking, I don't think they should be banned from playing.

The reason why I mentioned those two, is because they're playing high main stage slots at both Coachella and Glastonbury, and were available to watch on the livestream. I'm not aware of anyone else that fits that bill this year that has controversial lyrics on the same level, but if there was, I wouldn't be a fan of them either. My opinion on lyrics doesn't change based on gender, race, or genre of music.

I'm not a parent and don't plan to be, so this comes from a detached point of view so take from that what you want.

But with WAP being the common example here of corrupting 14 year old girls. Maybe people should consider maybe this song wasn't written for a 14 year old girl. It's a club banger for adults to get down to and for adult women to, yes, maybe feel some empowerment, or seen, on the idea that their desires are as filthy and legitimate as any man's. And when these 14 year olds grow up it'll be in a better world where they can be as expressive as they want without feeling shamed by it.

(I know I'm making WAP sound like some sort of world changing classic which might sound dumb but all culture makes a small bit of difference somewhere, and it did feel fresh when it came out and still does). 

And obviously parents can't watch what their child takes in 24 hours a day especially now when they likely have a whole world of god knows what in their hands. But with that being the case WAP or any other dirty lyric song should be the least of their problems, and maybe parents should be less inclined to blame a song for putting sexual ideas in a kid's head and more inclined to have the conversation about sex with their children first so something as innocuous as a song doesn't completely shatter their young minds like people seem to think it will.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, mjfiddy said:

We will hear that song end a headlining festival set as it was destined to do somewhere this summer!

She's probably the act I'm most looking forward to seeing at Latitude this year. Punisher was my AOTY in 2020, and her setlist is pretty heavy on that album, so seeing it live will be awesome. Excited to hear what she puts out next as it's approaching two years since that album. If she releases something of that quality again I think she could become huge, she's already sold out all of her UK shows with demand for a lot more.

One of Doja Cat's most celebrated songs, Woman, has these lyrics:

image.png.40cb1d7a89d29e24994c7de394a3c5be.png

And you can argue Megan Thee Stallions entire brand "hot girl summer" is about feeling good in your skin without the need of male approval.

• Upvote 1