plan b

leeawill17

A DF Concerts spokeswoman confirmed the return of the Strathallan pair, but denied the birds had settled on their breeding site.

“The expert opinion of our ornithologist is that they have not yet nested,” she said.

However, she pointed out that a decision had been taken to withdraw potential disturbance as a precaution.

She added: “The RSPB believes that the previous nest is active and as such close monitoring via the cherry picker has been removed and we will continue to liaise with the relevant organisations to ensure the protection of the birds.

“We will also provide an update when the chosen location of the birds becomes clear".

Despite the latest setbacks, DF Concerts assured fans “the festival will go ahead”.

The spokeswoman added: “We remain confident that the event will take place at Strathallan.”

in other words nothing to see here

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess at a plan b, is a panicked late application to hold a very scaled down version in Bellahouston/Glasgow Green that will ultimately lead to the event making big losses this year. You'd like to think they have some kind of a plan b but I wouldn't be so sure

750m. 2500ft.

Was just about to say that.

DF will have known fine well about the Osprey's before even choosing this site let alone booking acts. If the mitigation measures outlined by the ornithologist are successful then no problem.

If not then the RSPB and/or SNH can either choose to recommend that the application is declined or in the worst case scenario they can make a formal objection. In the case of an objection the application would be decline, however DF can then choose to appeal the application. At this point the application would then be put to the Scottish Government for a final verdict of yes or no.

Was just about to say that.

DF will have known fine well about the Osprey's before even choosing this site let alone booking acts. If the mitigation measures outlined by the ornithologist are successful then no problem.

If not then the RSPB and/or SNH can either choose to recommend that the application is declined or in the worst case scenario they can make a formal objection. In the case of an objection the application would be decline, however DF can then choose to appeal the application. At this point the application would then be put to the Scottish Government for a final verdict of yes or no.

Ah right I thought it was 2500m, my bad.

I don't think DF found about the Ospreys until October 2014.

I'm pretty sure that if the were not able to implement the 750m area around the nest then it could simply not be approved

Ah right I thought it was 2500m, my bad.

I don't think DF found about the Ospreys until October 2014.

I'm pretty sure that if the were not able to implement the 750m area around the nest then it could simply not be approved

It may or may not be approved. I'm confident it will but you never know.

There are a lot of variables in the decision that the planning authority or equally the government may end up making. i.e. that its a temporary event not permanent, the benefit to the local economy, the bad publicity of the event not taking place, DF could threaten to host it out with Perth & Kinross in the future etc etc.

There's lots to be considered. I deal with planning applications on a regular basis as part of my job and I know that even when a statuary consultee i.e. RSPB. object that's not always the end of the road. There is appeal processes that can be gone through and don't forget the saying 'Money talks' because in planning terms it certainly does whether anyone would like to admit it or not.

Also I have read in amongst the planning documents that DF have already begun some of the works on site in preparation for this years event. If they weren't extremely confident of this going ahead they wouldn't be spending money working on the site already.

The issue in this case is that if there is not a 750m seclusion zone around the Osprey nest then it is actually illegal.

Correct but as I say there are variables to consider. Had this been a development for 500 homes that permanently disrupted the wildlife habitat then I would say it wouldn't go ahead.

But this is a 3 day festival albeit with some set up time. It could be argued that over a short period the impact to the birds may be minimal. DF could say this year is a one off and they will look for a new site for next year such that the ospreys and what not won't be affected in the future.

Every case is decided on its on merits whether legal or not. There's a lot of factors in the decision on top of just the ospreys.

I guess what I'm getting at is things arent just black and white, it's not a case of ospreys are back we can't have the festival or ospreys are away so we can have the festival. There's a lot more to it than that.

Just seen this.

A DF Concerts spokesperson said that their expert advisors indicate that the rare birds had not yet nested.

The spokesperson said: "We can confirm that ospreys have returned to Strathallan, but the expert opinion of our ornithologist is that they have not yet nested. The RSPB believes that the previous nest is active and as such, close monitoring via the cherry picker has been removed and we will continue to liaise with the relevant organisations to ensure the protection of the birds."

"In the meantime, we'd also like to assure fans that the festival will go ahead. The decision on our planning application will still be made in May and we remain confident that the event will take place at Strathallan."

Edited by seumasbeathan

If they can't convince the ospreys to move to the new site that they appear to be ignoring just now, then holding the event will be a CRIMINAL offence. I can't see that, with all the publicity generated now, there is any sweeping of that under the carpet or turning a blind eye. They will have to be really clever or have plan B.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/blow-for-t-in-the-park-after-campaigner-claims-ospreys-are-mating-at-site-1.861938quotes from geoff ellis of anyway is interested. Seems everything will be okay after they move things about.

Remaining very nervous. None of the quotes from any of the official parties have offered any clarity about the situation, because they simply can't provide an answer.

Just remembered that DF had preliminary discussions with Perth and Kinross Council about holding the festival at Drumdowie Farm, Creiff, so much so that its even recorded on the P&K Council planning portal. Perhaps this could be the plan B, were it needed.

Lets hope so. I have now began to prepare myself for a cancellation but would rather hear it sooner than later.

Would they need to make another application for Creiff?

Edited by The Man with a Plan

Just remembered that DF had preliminary discussions with Perth and Kinross Council about holding the festival at Drumdowie Farm, Creiff, so much so that its even recorded on the P&K Council planning portal. Perhaps this could be the plan B, were it needed.

Hope so

Ma hotels in Crieff :)

Well, looks like there is no plan B..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-32264345

"T in the Park could end for good if it does not go ahead at the proposed new site at Strathallan Castle in Perthshire, according to its chief.

Geoff Ellis, of DF Concerts, told the BBC Strathallan was the "right venue".

But he added that he did not think the festival could continue if it did not go ahead at the site this year."

Edited by wanderlust14

He doesn't look fit to run a festival anyway if he did not even consider a plan B. Hopefully if T ends then someone from down south will launch a new festival up here which would be superior and better run in general.

Starting to do my head in tbh so much money spent alreqdy refund will take ages to come back so to late for other festival organisers are pointless tbh thaught they were ment to give re insurance not more doubt.

They have alrea#y admitted if the ospreys return their os no chance for t in tge park at strathallqn.

And for anyone saying return to balado . there is a reason we left in the first place

Starting to do my head in tbh so much money spent alreqdy refund will take ages to come back so to late for other festival organisers are pointless tbh thaught they were ment to give re insurance not more doubt.

They have alrea#y admitted if the ospreys return their os no chance for t in tge park at strathallqn.

And for anyone saying return to balado . there is a reason we left in the first place

Geoff is in denial and is going to wait until the last minute until he cancels. Quite selfish of him to tigh up all of our money like this rather than come clean.

I am going to boycott Geoff Ellis in the future.