"The naughty corner"

CTO

One year, possibly 2011, the alley ways in Shangri La were pretty dangerous because of the mud and I think that was just the Thursday.

Yeah, it was a quagmire. Got shit faced but just going from bar to bar took an effort so everything took twice as long to do & was energy sapping.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you see one corner,whatever the reputation, as the main attraction of an entire festival?

I'm a newb and had never even heard of the SE corner prior to securing a ticket, seems back to front to me

:)

Did I dream that Shangri La is getting bigger this year? Seem to remember reading it somewhere, but the Glasto dreams are also starting to creep in at this point.

Used to have a lot of fun there, even when the tunnels were hideously muddy, but it wasn't for me last year, even 'off peak' it was really busy. It didn't feel like Glasto to me. I'm hoping the vibe will be different this year

Yeah, it was a quagmire. Got shit faced but just going from bar to bar took an effort so everything took twice as long to do & was energy sapping.

The sun coming out on the Saturday afternoon saved that weekend. I was just getting to the point of frustration at how much effort it took - then everything just started drying up. Nearly got completely stuck and lost a welly in the SE corner on the Friday night.

I can't say I enjoy it too much to be honest, too busy, too many idiots and I'm not a massive fan of rave music (plus I stopped taking drugs about five years ago). Tend to hang around in the Park after hours, Stonebridge usually has some decent stuff on.

That said I like the sound of Back of Beyond, will try and check that out.

I'm in the same boat, spent a lot of time at the Park after hours which was great, Bimble Inn, Stonebridge, Rabbit Hole all really good places. Also went to one place in the Naughty Corner last year, think it might have been the Cave. Had a really good time (cause it's Glastonbury) but wouldn't be my scene on a normal weekend

it is all very popular now with the 18-30 crowd and above who in my opinion see it as crucial to their glasto experience as a big headliner.

"underground" dance music has also got a lot bigger since 2011 amongst people of that age group

18-30 and above?

That's a large demographic

Agree that it's got a bit shit.

Haven't had a really good night there since 2010.

Being called 'the naughty corner' sort of sums up why it's a bit w*nky.

i only started going to Glasto in '10 (but, for some reason, didn't venture anywhere near this area - probably because i wasn't into drugs then) but i've never had a particularly great time there in my following years. maybe it';s because by that time i'm just too knackered to properly enjoy it etc, but i'm always there for an hour or so and then just want to retire. gonna make a big effort to make the most of it a little more this year, but maybe it, as people love to say, ain't as good as it used to be

I do like the unfairground but last year had more fun around Blues, Glade and Glade Lounge, just a shame they dont go on longer

Also deep house is the current cool thing to listen to which is why you get all the bellends

Seems like a broken down free party in a field but with added glitz.

ETA, the added glitz part isn't a plus point :) I have recollections from "snatch" worthy episodes being sat in a field in Wiltshire in a caravan with plastic seats talking wares :)

The broken down aspect was a good one :)

Edited by CTO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmu3PM4UCLQ

Some Easter Sunday viewing for everyone..

Great video, enjoyed watching that.

I would say based on my only previous visit in 2013, that I've perhaps missed the peak of the creativity / outlaw / spirit to that SE area in particular...it certainly didn't seem to have that overall theme or storyline to the area that the film from 2012 shows.... I enjoyed my time in that corner, but I think I may have had unrealistic expectations given what I heard about the area / and perhaps didn't factor in some of the sizes of the venues / waiting times so overall I did feel a bit underwhelmed.

I'm a big clubber attend a lot of dance events / club night, so whilst a few of the venues were certainly interesting, they were more of a spectacle than of musical interest for my taste (techno / house / disco), a lot (in 2013) of bass music, with only really genosys being a big draw (great sets from seth troxler / Greg Wilson)..I will admit I didn't make it into the downlow (that is one if my main things for this year),& there was a definite buzz/excitement around the area, but it was more like being at a carnival or Blackpool, lot of people taking a gander at the 'freaks / ravers' as they took a walk after the headliners before going back to their tent for one last beer

Would also say, that Arcadia, (which isn't in SE corner now) visually it looked great, but the music itself & the sound quality was terrible...I really hope they've improved it for this year.

Silver Hayes & those dance areas I enjoyed / hopefully they have built upon that,(which also eleviates the crowding in south east corner) though would also say the lineups for Wednesday & Thursday night should be thought out a bit more,

Edited by Northernsoul45