"The naughty corner"

CTO

Three years at glastonbury and i'm yet to have a really good night in the se corner. I always seem to hit queues, crowds, dance music that isn't really to my taste (dubstep, drum n bass, garage) and it doesn't feel as experiential as i think it's billed.

At some stage i will sacrifice a headliner for it then try and catch some of the house, electro-swing or disco etc. acts on earlier so i can judge it properly. I'm definitely less excited about it than i used to be.

Dubstep etc. really isn't my thing either, I wandered in and out of Shangri-La. I loved The Common though- there's a little bar there (I'm praying it's still there as it was my absolute saviour of a night) called The Back of Beyond. It played all sorts of music but a lot of Ray Charles etc., had "skeletons" that led you in to random dances (I'm sure there was a conga one night) and had a cowboy silhouette on the wall that had the whole room dancing. Was absolutely bizarre but loved the place!

Edited by AiiShotTheDJ

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i liked the feel of the common more than some of the other areas. Have had fun in campo pequeno and one other place i can't remember the name of.

I think the responses here are spot on - it can be the most creative place in the world but if it's rammed and muddy the effect is lost somewhat. Still i'll try again...and continue to look for lively and good options elsewhere (first world problems!)

Dubstep etc. really isn't my thing either, I wandered in and out of Shangri-La. I loved The Common though- there's a little bar there (I'm praying it's still there as it was my absolute saviour of a night) called The Back of Beyond. It played all sorts of music but a lot of Ray Charles etc., had "skeletons" that led you in to random dances (I'm sure there was a conga one night) and had a cowboy silhouette on the wall that had the whole room dancing. Was absolutely bizarre but loved the place!

So last time I visited back of beyond I was led to a coffin where a skeleton started to paint my face. Over the speakers came a storm and said skeleton held an umbrella above my head. Then over the speakers came the sound of birdsong... At which point said skeleton did the conga around the room before finishing my face in said coffin.. fab night!!!

Did she insist on remaining a bird despite someone else insisting she be a dude dressed as one?

I can hand on heart say it was a bird, even though she was caked in mud. But I will admit there has been more than one occasion when I've had to check myself after relisting Ive just glanced at a not very convincing tranny, beards are usually the give away

Love the video, thanks for posting that, enjoyed watching that this morning. I first went in 2009 and i have to say i really enjoyed in then and in 2010, but since then IMO it has changed, there is less of a mixed style of music, more ravey stuff, though i did like Download as it plays more disco/ Latin house, pity i couldn't get into the Frankie Knuckles thing last year as i was just so horrendously busy, talk about cues! As i get to being 53 and have gone past my raving days ;) , i want to have a different night time experience, for instance i love that bar opposite Williams Green that plays a broad spectrum of dance music, It has to be said that the SE corner is a right old slog in the mud but the weather of 2010 was perfect. I'll always take a one night trip up there but i'm past living in it. And it does help if you had a little help so to speak ;)

It's definitely a place to go to without expectation. Like anything, if you go expecting it to be the most amazing place ever it will never quite live up to it. It definitely has a bit of a "tourist" vibe to it - people go to see it rather than be a part of it. I always try to go on my own as I feel I can let go and get involved a bit more without the other half.

Love the video, thanks for posting that, enjoyed watching that this morning. I first went in 2009 and i have to say i really enjoyed in then and in 2010, but since then IMO it has changed, there is less of a mixed style of music, more ravey stuff, though i did like Download as it plays more disco/ Latin house, pity i couldn't get into the Frankie Knuckles thing last year as i was just so horrendously busy, talk about cues! As i get to being 53 and have gone past my raving days ;) , i want to have a different night time experience, for instance i love that bar opposite Williams Green that plays a broad spectrum of dance music, It has to be said that the SE corner is a right old slog in the mud but the weather of 2010 was perfect. I'll always take a one night trip up there but i'm past living in it. And it does help if you had a little help so to speak ;)

I agree, loved it in 2010 & 11. Ended up in some Irish bar doing U2 puppet Karaoke at one point

I can't say I enjoy it too much to be honest, too busy, too many idiots and I'm not a massive fan of rave music (plus I stopped taking drugs about five years ago). Tend to hang around in the Park after hours, Stonebridge usually has some decent stuff on.

That said I like the sound of Back of Beyond, will try and check that out.

It's time for a change imo. The atmosphere there least year was pretty shitty. It's like an oceana night club these days. Full of angry nob heads on coke.

I have to agree with this, you can certainly notice it more when your not, on it, so too speak. Though to be honest i've never really been out of it on drugs at Glasto aside from 2009 when i dabbled for old time sack :), since then age is catching up and it's just alcohol all the way now, i think we'll have to check out other late night options this year,.

As said earlier sometimes it has become "the place to be" and you get lots of people passing through having a look rather than having a go. I tend to avoid it at peak times (just after headliner finished) and go earlier if I don't fancy a headliner or go to the beat hotel / Williams green type areas for a while and then head down to the SE better vibe and more fun IMHO and much less hassle

Edited by donthaveacoolname

i couldnt get into the beat hotel at all last year. music was rubbish and queses were massive. disappointing

there were no queues last year as far as I remember , its an open fronted tent with lots of ways in , although it was very busy at times , you could have just danced outside on the podium beat hotel sign which would have given the same effect as being right in the middle , we camped opposite and have done for a number of years

I can't say I enjoy it too much to be honest, too busy, too many idiots and I'm not a massive fan of rave music (plus I stopped taking drugs about five years ago). Tend to hang around in the Park after hours, Stonebridge usually has some decent stuff on.

That said I like the sound of Back of Beyond, will try and check that out.

Completely agree. Maybe it's the fact that I don't really enjoy dance music but whenever I go I don't tend to stay for longer than half an hour because it's just too busy and, dare I say it, a bit too noisy for me. It's definitely worth a visit just to see the structures and weirdness (the crashed train is brilliant) but I don't think its worth queuing up for and I certainly wouldn't choose to go instead of watching a headliner. Different strokes and that I guess.

I like the Rocket Lounge as that plays a wider range of music than most if the SE corner.

My favourite thing ever down there was Shackney, but that only lasted a year.

What I did find one year, when we waited in the Avalon bars for the queues to clear, is that we actually prefer it in Avalon. A better variety of music and a much nicer atmosphere. Not as 'live' I suppose, but definitely a better vibe for me (at my age) at that time of night. I still like dance music, but just one gig or set now is enough for me, then I want to hear something else.

Shangri-La has been a bit stale the past couple of years, but the Common and Glasto Latino have improved. I do wonder how long they can keep going, but there's a few more years in it at least I think. It's still one of my favourite parts of the site and benefited greatly when they moved Arcadia out.

The biggest problem with that part of the site is when it gets wet. There's a lot of people, not a lot of space and it tends to get very boggy and sticky very quick. One year, possibly 2011, the alley ways in Shangri La were pretty dangerous because of the mud and I think that was just the Thursday.