8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Currently revisiting Mario 64... it’s pretty janky by modern standards but the Switch Pro controller makes it so much easier to play.

Yeah my take away from Mario 3D All-Stars is that Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine are really pretty frustrating when you are used to modern games. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry last two childish ones from me. Ocarina put away for another year.  

I recommend plenty of fresh air

Oh Nintendo In time it will, I'm sure, be worth owning. But not on release, at that price, with such a small line up of games, a ridiculous subscription service, a tiny amount of storage and poor

Posted Images

On 9/24/2020 at 7:17 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Games of the year so far:

1. Ghost of Tsushima

2. FFVII Remake

3. Doom Eternal

Looking into this i have only played 4 games released this year, so not much competition, but here's mine:

1. LOU 2

2. Fall Guys

3. Total War: Troy

Going to throw in my most anticipated as well:

1. Cyberpunk

2. Ratchet & Clank

3. SpiderMan: Miles Morales

Now that I’ve got some distance from both TLOU2 and Tsushima, TLOU2 is far superior to anything for me whilst Tsushima drops down. Current order probably looks like:

TLOU2

Animal Crossing

Tsushima

Spiritfarer could supplant Tsushima depending on the finish. Paper Mario was grand too.

51 minutes ago, Gromite said:

I'm going to say it, this to me is madness.

Homer Disappears Into A Hedge GIF - HomerSimpson Homer Disappears GIFs

I had quite a rant about it a while ago when I first played it and nothing has changed my mind since. Without wishing to repeat myself I’ll just copy and paste some of my previous thoughts...

Going to have to take a little time to think about whether I enjoyed it or not. There were parts I loved and parts I hated.

The relentlessly grim tone got pretty wearisome after a while. The game has a very simple moral about the cycle of violence and revenge, but it hammered it home with all the subtlety of an axe through someone’s face (which I did more than once). By the end I honesty expected one of the main characters to turn to the screen and say “you know, the real monster is revenge...” or some such shite.

Slept on it and here a few thoughts, don't know how to do the spoiler thing so will keep it as light as possible...

What I liked:

• The setting - game looked fantastic and I loved just exploring Seattle, scavenging for stuff and seeing the aftermath of the plague;
  • The core mechanics hadn't changed much from the first one, which isn't a bad thing. Combat was still great, sneaking around taking out fools never got old;
  • A nice diverse range of supporting characters;
  • Scar Island;
  • Dina;
  • Abby;
  • There were a few moments that forced me to put the controller down and think about what I had just done.
  • Not having to stop every few minutes to move a ladder or push a bit of wood across a river.

What I didn't like:

• As I said before, this game has a very simple moral but bludgeons the player over the head with it. I get the feeling this is a game that believes itself to making some grand statement when really it's very simplistic;
  • The violence - I've been playing games for over 30 years and am pretty desensitized to computer game violence but there were a few cut scenes that made me feel uncomfortable and a few of the fight scenes, especially the last one. I actively did want to participate in it.

As I said, I enjoyed the mechanics of the game. But I cannot buy into this view that the game says anything profound or challenging, it’s just misery and gratuitous, unnecessary violence.

Too many characters making baffling, irredeemable choices.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Hi all, I wish this thread was closer to the top of the site as I always forget to check it.

super late to the party but I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn the other week cheap and chips and I have struggled to put it down since. Seems to scratch that itch that has been left since I finished breath of the wild. It does make me wonder what a Zelda game (akin to breath of the wild) with the power of the PS5 could achieve though.... sometimes I feel like Nintendo miss the trick a bit with the power of their systems.

Also thought I’d just say that now the dust has settled i’m pretty certain that the last of us 2 is my game of the year and probably one of the best games ever made. Yes the tone was heavy and the subject matter utterly depressing... but take a step back for a moment. You’re saying this about a VIDEO GAME. Which not long ago couldn’t achieve more than a platformer.

The Last of Us 2 had me tearing up and truly on the edge of my seat in parts. Some points I’d go for walks just to process what was going on in the narrative. Also the music absolutely slaps!

Its an utter, utter, masterpiece 

On 9/21/2020 at 2:14 PM, Andeeroo said:

Microsoft purchased Bethesda. Not a big deal for me as I don't enjoy much of their output but undoubtedly huge that all their games will be exclusive to Xbox in the future.

Late to comment on this but I am conflicted in many ways.

hear me out here. My excitement for elder scrolls VI dipped a bit with Fallout 4. I just feel like Bethesda have lost their touch a bit, as fallout 4 was a real disappointment for me.

Starfield, I’ve seen the leaks, and it just looks like fallout in space. I know I’ve not played the game but I worry about Bethesda relying too much on a formula and STILL not updating their game engine. Fallout 4 was the same problems as all the other games but with a different lick of paint.

I think they are struggling to put out the standard of game that people now know them for, as they can’t produce games to the quality that current generation hardware provides. A purchase from a big company might help in expanding their teams and getting some more money/resources to improve game quality - but I do worry that Bethesda have become a bit of a product of their time. They need to really push the boat out and do something impressive because I worry some other game studios have overtaken them.

That being said, I am a PlayStation boy and if it’s Xbox exclusive from now on - fuck that!

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Hi all, I wish this thread was closer to the top of the site as I always forget to check it.

super late to the party but I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn the other week cheap and chips and I have struggled to put it down since. Seems to scratch that itch that has been left since I finished breath of the wild. It does make me wonder what a Zelda game (akin to breath of the wild) with the power of the PS5 could achieve though.... sometimes I feel like Nintendo miss the trick a bit with the power of their systems.

Also thought I’d just say that now the dust has settled i’m pretty certain that the last of us 2 is my game of the year and probably one of the best games ever made. Yes the tone was heavy and the subject matter utterly depressing... but take a step back for a moment. You’re saying this about a VIDEO GAME. Which not long ago couldn’t achieve more than a platformer.

The Last of Us 2 had me tearing up and truly on the edge of my seat in parts. Some points I’d go for walks just to process what was going on in the narrative. Also the music absolutely slaps!

I’m going to have to disagree that it’s a masterpiece, it’s a good action game but in terms of story it has all the depth of an annual FIFA iteration. The first game had themes of grief, family and sacrifice, it asked how far a person would go to protect someone they loved.... TLOU2’s entire message can be summed up in two words: Revenge = Bad. And it hides the fact that it doesn’t actually have anything interesting to say behind gratuitous and unnecessary violence.

It’s a snuff film that thinks it’s high art.

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Horizon is so wicked. Incredibly satisfying taking down the different dinosaurs. I can still hear the 'chink' noise of an on target arrow on their canisters.

18 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Horizon is so wicked. Incredibly satisfying taking down the different dinosaurs. I can still hear the 'chink' noise of an on target arrow on their canisters.

Yeah I loved HZD. Will replay it before the next one comes out.

1 hour ago, Padjeq said:

Went in with 0 expectations and I’m blown away. The sequel is now a pretty big “must buy” for me now.

It seems to combine elements I’ve liked from various other games into one. Red dead meets Breath of the Wild meets Fallout meets shadow of the colossus! 

Been trying to play horror games, what with it being spooky season. Finished RE7 and RE1 on PS4 the other day. Also have RE0, RE2, RE4, Until Dawn, and Evil Within 1&2 to play. RE4 is the only one I've played before. Are Days Gone and MediEvil any good? Been added to PS Now.

On non-horror games: is Assassins Creed Odyssey worth getting for £13.74? I haven't played any of them since Brotherhood, but the ancient Greece setting seems pretty cool....

Just finished my second playthrough of the main story of HZD. Planning on going through Frozen Wilds again at the weekend. Flew through it on Easy difficulty as I was just looking to remind myself of the story and feel the atmosphere. One of my favourites from this gen.

Edited by Andeeroo
19 hours ago, Andeeroo said:

Just finished my second playthrough of the main story of HZD. Planning on going through Frozen Wilds again at the weekend. Flew through it on Easy difficulty as I was just looking to remind myself of the story and feel the atmosphere. One of my favourites from this gen.

Love HZD, never got round to playing Frozen Wilds though. Do you think it's really necessary story wise before the next one?

49 minutes ago, Gromite said:

Love HZD, never got round to playing Frozen Wilds though. Do you think it's really necessary story wise before the next one?

If I remember rightly, the story just fleshes out one of the tribes that isn't as prominent in the main story so I don't think you necessarily need to play it before Forbidden West.

It does however add some interesting new enemy types, weapons and is probably harder than the main game. Plus, with the winter vibes, it's definitely worth the time.

Not starting any big new games until my PS5 arrives. Trying to clear a few smaller ones from the backlog before the upgrade. I am tempted to start HZD again but will wait to play it with the extra PS5 power.

Playing Mario Sunshine at the moment which is a lot of fun. Mario 64 hasn’t aged as well as I had hoped.

On 10/4/2020 at 10:49 PM, Matt42 said:

Late to comment on this but I am conflicted in many ways.

hear me out here. My excitement for elder scrolls VI dipped a bit with Fallout 4. I just feel like Bethesda have lost their touch a bit, as fallout 4 was a real disappointment for me.

Starfield, I’ve seen the leaks, and it just looks like fallout in space. I know I’ve not played the game but I worry about Bethesda relying too much on a formula and STILL not updating their game engine. Fallout 4 was the same problems as all the other games but with a different lick of paint.

I think they are struggling to put out the standard of game that people now know them for, as they can’t produce games to the quality that current generation hardware provides. A purchase from a big company might help in expanding their teams and getting some more money/resources to improve game quality - but I do worry that Bethesda have become a bit of a product of their time. They need to really push the boat out and do something impressive because I worry some other game studios have overtaken them.

That being said, I am a PlayStation boy and if it’s Xbox exclusive from now on - fuck that!

That Zenimax buyout is a big deal to me.  I've been with PS for the last 2 generations and had no reason to move until Microsoft bought a couple of my favourite studios (Beth and Arkane).  Now I'm having thoughts of moving over.  The combination of some of my favourite games, and hopefully more to come (as you speculate, that injection of cash may just speed up Bethesda's production, like Disney did with Star Wars), being on Game Pass as well as a couple of generations worth of Xbox stuff I haven't played that will be back compatible, plus being able to buy the system on tic is adding up to an appealing proposition, especially as I intend to get a new TV to make the most of this generation and I'm a bit short of spare cash for the foreseeable.

Also, while I usually am not so keen on anonymous black boxes and believe games consoles should look a bit different design wise, I'm just not keen on the way the PS5 looks, and I really like the monolithic XSX.

What I'm actually going to do though is wait a year and see how things play out, and if I do end up going with Xbox, I'll maybe wait for the mid-life refresh of the PS5, and catch up with its exclusives later in the life cycle.

For now I'm just getting back into gaming after a few months off and easing myself in with Days Gone, which I'm enjoying more than the reviews led me to believe I would.  I also intend to give Tsushima a shot after all the high praise on here and elsewhere.  I've plenty to keep me occupied until it's new console time.

Noticed quidco was doing £25 off FIFA 21 on launch day if purchased between 9am and 11am. I got all ready, got down the gym early so I could be back for that window, clicked through the quidco link and then my finger was just hovering above purchase and I just couldn't do it.

I think I'm sick of FIFA

I'm sick of the pack weighting at the start, grinding through an entire week to get absolutely nothing.

I'm sick at the amount of time I actually have to track the market to make a few extra coins as I simply refuse to pump anymore real money into the game

I'm sick of the way it plays at the start when you don't have the better cards for many months and so your defenders once every two games fluff a simple pass out from the back and give away a goal and your midfielders can't pass the ball 2 yards when their stamina drops after 70 minutes.

I'm sick that they deliver pretty much the same game each year, make the same amount of money as the GDP of entire countries on packs then wipe it all out and expect you to start again.

I'll probably pick it up eventually buts thats for the occasional game with mates as ultimate team offers nothing for the casual player.

Been playing Forza 7 on game pass. It feels exactly like Horizon 4 except you're trapped racing round boring tarmac spaghetti. I'll continue to see if the next level improves. Shame, cuz Horizon 4 I played to death.

Love Doom Eternal. It's so hard!

Four weeks today for PS5 fans...

After much back and forth I’ve settled on the following games for launch:

Demon’s Souls,

Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition (contains remastered version of the first one)

Cyberpunk (preordered this ages ago on PSN)

Mortal Kombat 11 (Rambo was the clincher)

Thatll keep me going for a few months. Might pick up Watch Dogs and/or Assassins Creed depending on the reviews.