The Gaming Thread

TheJackson

Holy shit. Really thought they’d wait for Microsoft to make the move.

£500 for the standard model surely? Maybe £450 for digital. Not sure how sacrificing a 4K blu ray drive would shave that much more off the price given how cheap they will be getting those components in bulk, unless they’re gonna take a hit on it and plan to recoup the cost on digital sales.

Suspect I’ll be going for the standard edition hopefully with a Spider Man bundle. Got my eye on the headset as well. The PS4 one was really good so I imagine this will be worth getting for the upgraded audio.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Hoping that PS5 + Spider-Man and Cyberpunk will make for a good Christmas purchase. I’m not expecting the Spider-Man game to be incredible tho... just good.

Cyberpunk will be out around the same time as the next gen consoles. I preordered and paid for it ages ago and was thinking of cancelling it after the latest delay but might as well just keep it and play it on the PS5.

Bloody well hope I can pick one up around launch.

39 minutes ago, jparx said:

Cyberpunk is effectively a launch title now isn’t it. Doubt I’ll ever play it on a PS4. 

Bit concerned getting one when pre orders go live will be a mini ticket day though...

Likewise, as bad/selfish as it sounds I almost hope the price is high enough to put a few off. I got a bonus at work earlier this year and specifically put some aside to pay for a PS5. I’d be happy to pay upfront in full if it guaranteed me a launch day console.

8 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

@jparx @Hugh Jass Shopto have had a 'register your interest' thing going for PS5's for a while now, assume it gives you first dibs on a pre-order.

I've been on that for months now 😉 But thanks for the heads up! Not quite sure what it means to be honest - imagine we'll get a short period of first dibs on them but I think you'll still have to act fast.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I've been on that for months now 😉 But thanks for the heads up! Not quite sure what it means to be honest - imagine we'll get a short period of first dibs on them but I think you'll still have to act fast.

Yeah I'm not 100% on what it'll entail either but can't hurt! I think it'll be fine to get one as long as you don't hang about too long. It'll be the few weeks after release that'll be a nightmare to find one.

6 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Ghost of Tsushima this week, who's getting?

Will be waiting until proper reviews are out. Not IGN. (Even though I like IGN).

It looks good but I have this weird feeling it might be a bit assassins creed. I hope I’m totally wrong because the concept of an open world samurai game sounds awesome. I really want it to be some kind of red dead / Witcher smasher but I’m going to wait.

Then again - I waited for Spider-Man, saw the mixed reviews and purchased with a bit of reservation and loved it. So you don’t know whether a game is great until you play it yourself.

My most controversial opinion is that the Witcher 3 isn’t that great. I much prefer other open world games, and for some reason I find the Witcher 3 really difficult to get hooked on. Can put it down for weeks and weeks on end and not miss it.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Finished Last of Us Part 2 yesterday. Arguably better suited to TV or film than a video game, but I found it entertainingly solid enough and hung together logically imo.

Much as I'm aware there is a big chorus of internet types who don't exactly share that viewpoint.

As much as I love that this game is encouraging debate I’m worried about the long term effects of this. If any game developer wants to push the boat narrative wise will the reception to this game have scared them off? I really don’t want to see a future of safe Ubisoft games.

I’m incredibly dubious about this Watch Dogs footage. The puddle reflections look incredible and beyond what current gen can do in an open world game. This must be high end PC footage. No chance it looks like that on current gen consoles. Looks more next gen than most of the stuff we’ve seen on the new consoles!

Looks even more dubious compared to this AC footage. This looks much more in line with Odyssey. Good looking game but nothing groundbreaking. Really want this game to be good but it’s looking fairly routine on the gameplay front. 

Enjoying the Scorpion hook though.

45 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Will be waiting until proper reviews are out. Not IGN. (Even though I like IGN).

It looks good but I have this weird feeling it might be a bit assassins creed. I hope I’m totally wrong because the concept of an open world samurai game sounds awesome. I really want it to be some kind of red dead / Witcher smasher but I’m going to wait.

Then again - I waited for Spider-Man, saw the mixed reviews and purchased with a bit of reservation and loved it. So you don’t know whether a game is great until you play it yourself.

My most controversial opinion is that the Witcher 3 isn’t that great. I much prefer other open world games, and for some reason I find the Witcher 3 really difficult to get hooked on. Can put it down for weeks and weeks on end and not miss it.

As much as I love that this game is encouraging debate I’m worried about the long term effects of this. If any game developer wants to push the boat narrative wise will the reception to this game have scared them off? I really don’t want to see a future of safe Ubisoft games.

Were there mixed reviews for the Spiderman PS4 game? I thought it was wicked.

As far as the debate, I think developers will be happy to push the boat out for original titles, but whether they will for pre-existing ones is a debate. I'm happy they took a risk and I did enjoy the chapters where you didn't play as Ellie, but I know the reaction is toxic.

Called it with Watch Dogs. Footage was on a pc running an RTX 2080 Ti. So probably a £2,500 pc.

Interesting analysis of the ray tracing here. So much is not clear about the gpu capabilities of the new consoles but if Legion looks anything close to this on the new consoles I’ll be very happy. This looks properly next gen to me.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Given that everything seems to coming with next gen upgrades I may not buy another new PS4/XB1 game and just wait for the next gen versions. Tempted to spend the next few months clearing out some of my enormous backlog and playing Switch.

Curious how quickly we will get proper next gen patches with games like Watch Dogs. I will be surprised if we have the ray traced reflections added anytime soon, and maybe even sold as a paid upgrade (I know Microsoft definitely don’t want that to be the case). Perhaps we get a token patch that improves frame rates or bumps the resolution up to native 4K shortly after consoles launch, but the full next gen features, RT, super sampling, 3D audio etc are sold as a “remaster” 6 months later. A game like Watch Dogs isn’t one I’ll play twice, so I’d rather just wait for the premier version, but it’s really not clear what timeframe or process we’re looking at.

Just a thought watching the Ubisoft thing as well - I really hope games include more options this gen. Having options to play at native 4k30, 1080p60 or hopefully (and the dream, really) 4k60 sampled up from 1080p would be excellent. Maybe even the option to turn ray tracing on or off to tweak performance. Give the consumer the choice between performance or resolution and don’t make it for them. I know part of the console appeal is the no fuss approach, but you can ignore those options and just stick with the default if you want. 

I've just finished The Last Of Us 2, I think it might be the best video game I’ve ever played. It’s incredible. So well made, stunning to look at and the story is incredible. On an emotional level I haven't been this impacted or invested in a game ever, so many times I found myself sitting back thinking about the last story beat. Some of the shock moments too, from a sheer shock perspective but also narrative perspective too completely got me.

The gameplay was everything I want in a video game, I'm a big fan of stealth in a game and the steals here was really good, I found myself takes ages on the encounters trying to sneak up on enemies perfectly. It's not completely gun heavy like Uncharted but just enough if you wanted to do it that way. It was much longer than I thought too, the mix of characters added to that and for me was a nice surprise, certainly added a new element for the story and emotional weight of the game. At no point was I bored or annoyed with the game, I genuinely didn't want it to end.

I liked the ending too, I wondered when we went to the Farm first time round with Ellie how it would end (I hoped that wasn't the ending) and I think they nailed the ending too. I won't go into spoilers but the choices made by the characters were understandable and to finish with Pearl Jam's 'Future Days' playing in the last scene given what the characters had done was beautiful.

I am in love with this game, every single facet of it. I can’t think of a better game. There isn't a better video game, I think it is the best video game ever.