The Gaming Thread

TheJackson

18 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

There's definitely dungeons in it, and loads more mini-dungeons, but how many main dungeons and how big the minis are remains to be seen. The open world roaming is the selling point now, but the dungeons will definitely still be a feature, they've just not been used in the marketing as of yet.

Aren't most Zeldas already open world? you can wander around the map pretty much at will. You might need certain gear to take on dungeons or certain enemies but in OOT for example you can wander around Hyrule field at will before taking on the dungeons.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Aren't most Zeldas already open world? you can wander around the map pretty much at will. You might need certain gear to take on dungeons or certain enemies but in OOT for example you can wander around Hyrule field at will before taking on the dungeons.

Yeah but there's not exactly loads to do in Hyrule field in OoT is there? Breath Of The Wild has a big focus on survival and discovery, it's supposed to go back to the dicking around Hyrule, blowing up random walls to find items like in the original game on the NES, but in a big 3D HD setting. But now the items have an added significance, so you have to change your gear depending on environmental factors like weather, you pinch a lot of weapons from enemies and keep them in your inventory, you have to make your own food. I think a lot more significant enemies and events are going to happen in the overworld now as well. I reckon there's real promise for this one, they've clearly been pouring everything into it for ages, and call me controversial but I found A Link Between Worlds to be the best Zelda yet.

35 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah but there's not exactly loads to do in Hyrule field in OoT is there? Breath Of The Wild has a big focus on survival and discovery, it's supposed to go back to the dicking around Hyrule, blowing up random walls to find items like in the original game on the NES, but in a big 3D HD setting. But now the items have an added significance, so you have to change your gear depending on environmental factors like weather, you pinch a lot of weapons from enemies and keep them in your inventory, you have to make your own food. I think a lot more significant enemies and events are going to happen in the overworld now as well. I reckon there's real promise for this one, they've clearly been pouring everything into it for ages, and call me controversial but I found A Link Between Worlds to be the best Zelda yet.

Sounds good. I hadn't really been paying much attention to the Zelda hype. Will be preordering the Switch as soon as it's available next week though.

FWIW I completely agree with you on A Link Between Worlds. Couldn't put it down.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You're controversial.

Of the games I picked up over Christmas:

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Great. Lazy comparison but they play similar so I'll make it. I prefer this to Uncharted 4.

Doom - Enormous fun. Humongous fun.

Battlefield 1 - A depressing dud. Gone back to Battlefront to get my casual FPS kicks.

Yet to start on The Last Guardian or Gravity Rush.

Didn't realise Horizon came out so early in 2017. I planned for this little lot to take me through to it's release but I don't think I'll have all of these completed by March 1st. I'll give it a shot though.

I really wasn't that fussed about Doom. Seems everyone loved it. Was good but didn't blow me away

I did a 10 most anticipated games of 2017 list for my channel:

Gravity Rush 2
Resident Evil 7
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yooka-Laylee
Crash Bandicoot
Gran Turismo Sport
Guardians of the Galaxy
Oddworld:Soulstorm
Outlast 2
Red Dead Redemption 2

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Last year's remake was anything but dated.

Most fun I've had with a game in ages.

ah, hadn't realised they'd remade it.

Was it done with floor-levels on top of each other (doom 2 & 3 style) or was it like the original where a floor level couldn't overlay a floor below it?

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

ah, hadn't realised they'd remade it.

Was it done with floor-levels on top of each other (doom 2 & 3 style) or was it like the original where a floor level couldn't overlay a floor below it?

It was multi-floor, but they did a great job of capturing the spirit and intensity of the original.

33 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Me too. Gave The Wind Waker a good few hours over the weekend. I'm a little behind I know.

Enjoying it. Only got to the first boss but looking forward to playing more.

I hope you renamed Link accordingly.

Wind waker is great, although any Zelda game is usually a guarantee of quality.

42 minutes ago, The Nal said:

No I didn't this time. Although I'm not sure you can in this one.

I love the graphics. Very different. 

You can rename him in all of the games.

Wind Waker was great, I'd chuck that into my top 5 Zeldas.

Edited by jump

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

Me too. Gave The Wind Waker a good few hours over the weekend. I'm a little behind I know.

Enjoying it. Only got to the first boss but looking forward to playing more.

I love Wind Waker so much. It's a good sign that you're enjoying it towards the beginning, the Forsaken Fortress is the only thing that stops it being a perfect game for me. It definitely improves as it goes on, so it makes for some of the most satisfying gameplay of any Zelda. It's got a really even difficulty curve right the way through and the story stays strong up until the end as well. I've not bought WInd Waker HD for Wii U because I don't see anything in it that makes me what an updated version that badly when the GC version had barely aged at all, but if they port it to Switch then a portable WW HD is real "shut up and take my money" territory.

Seeing as Jump has introduced top 5 Zeldas; The Wind Waker > A Link Between Worlds > Ocarina Of Time > A Link To The Past > Link's Awakening.

A Link Between Worlds should by rights be number one, but pure nostalgia and the fact that it's possible to sink so many more hours into WW puts it in front for me.

The Switch conference will be going live at 4am, I'm waking up at 6 to scan through the news and hope Amazon have the option to pre-order ready.