The Gaming Thread

TheJackson

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

But Demons Souls isn't a roguelike?

I'm not so sure, it's not a 2D indie which is the typical roguelike but if someone said it's a 3D roguelike I'd say it's an accurate enough description.

I got Hades when I saw it on sale and it was getting GOTY awards, it's a good game and the controls are silky but I can't imagine playing it for 100+ hours like other have done to get all the endings and whatnot.

Edited by jump

Just now, jump said:

I'm not so sure, it's not a 2D indie which is the typical roguelike but if someone said it's a 3D roguelike I'd say it's an accurate enough description.

It doesn't change at all, the whole point of the Soulslike games is you do the same think over and over learning exactly how to deal with everything.

Roguelikes are procedurally generated so you explore a different map every time you try. Something like Returnal is a 3D roguelike.

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It doesn't change at all, the whole point of the Soulslike games is you do the same think over and over learning exactly how to deal with everything.

Roguelikes are procedurally generated so you explore a different map every time you try. Something like Returnal is a 3D roguelike.

There's more to roguelikes than just random dungeons and it shares alot of the same DNA. Like I said I think it's accurate enough even if it's not highly accurate.

6 minutes ago, jump said:

There's more to roguelikes than just random dungeons and it shares alot of the same DNA. Like I said I think it's accurate enough even if it's not highly accurate.

Obviously a words meaning is often imprecise but I consider the changing nature of the challenge as a fundamental part of what makes a roguelike a roguelike and even purists who refer to a lot of the modern roguelikes as roguelites or roguelike-likes are pretty consistent on requiring randomness in the challenge. 

What do you think makes a roguelike, difficulty? Permadeath? 

3 minutes ago, jump said:

Honestly 2D and indie are the first two that come to my mind. lol

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/12/column_play_the_berlin_interpr.php

Is an article from back in 2009 using the 2008 Berlin Interpretation of a roguelike to compare some games and the second comment is someone applying the same criteria to Demons Souls and getting a score of 30 making 1 point more of roguelike than Diablo but 3 points less than Toejam & Earl. Make of that what you will.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Feels like I've started something here that didn't need to be started.

Whatever you call them - they are bloody annoying!

It's absolutely my fault, kids go back to school tomorrow so hopefully I'll be less likely to engage in this sort of nonsense thereafter.

30 minutes ago, corytreutel1309 said:

lol. really?

Oh no I've lost my video game street cred! Now the other kids will bully me and my inferior knowledge. It's time for me to go back to playing Angry Birds and Call Of Duty. 😜

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Started Hades on Gamepass last night. Not a huge fan of Roguelikes (still never got past the first level on Demon Souls) but thought I'd give it a go seeing as it was raved about last year.

Early impressions are decent, but I can see myself getting bored quickly if it's just the same few rooms over and over again.

Im not a fan of roguelikes but the narrative in hades keeps things engaging much longer than I expected.

As someone who's put several hundred hours into Slay the Spire over the last year and a half, I'd happily say that what keeps me coming back is the combination of variance and familiarity. You have to strategise against the different challenges, but which of them you get is randomised, and the tools you get offered are randomised.

Strategy one rather than action-based though, so quite different from Hades and others.

Hello everyone!

First time posting in a while.

I got both the PS5 and Series X. But I'm so busy that the reason I got the PS5, outstanding single player and Street Fighter, has been limited Street Fighter, and games I can play without thinking about anything on the Xbox (Forza, FIFA, Street Fighter 30th anniversary). 

After the hellish school year that awaits me concludes, and I've got my dissertation for my MSc done, then I'll get stuck into these games. Or another Interpol tour. One or the other.

Anybody want to play some Street Fighter V on the Xbox or piss around on Forza Coreinho is the tag on both