The Gaming Thread

TheJackson

12 hours ago, jump said:

Didn't they have a roughly availability date when you reserved it? I was gonna pre-order it today after seeing some more previews but it came up with the availability of Q2 2022. 

Yeah Q2 2022, which suits me as it means the console will have been out long enough for me to make an informed choice as to whether I actually want one or not.

Been with PlayStation for the last 12 years, but I think I'll be getting an Xbox this generation with a new Fable coming and Microsoft buying Bethesda (my favourite game series is Fallout) but, has anyone on here got the Xbox Series X? If so what are your thoughts? 

Edited by Kalopsia

49 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Been with PlayStation for the last 12 years, but I think I'll be getting an Xbox this generation with a new Fable coming and Microsoft buying Bethesda (my favourite game series is Fallout) but, has anyone on here got the Xbox Series X? If so what are your thoughts? 

Got both a PS5 and a Series X and I use the SX much more than the PS5 right now. Neither console is exactly swimming in exclusive titles right now (not sure there are any for the SX) but Gamepass is the best thing on the market.

Just finished The Outer Worlds (which is basically Fallout in space) and loved it.

2 hours ago, Chef said:

Just came in to possession of a second hand Switch. Which games should I be getting - already got Mario Kart and BOTW on the way. 

If you wait for a digital sale you can get Mario + Rabbids, Borderlands Collection, Bioshock Collection, X-Com 2, Metro 2033, Burnout Paradise, Mortal Kombat 11, Valkyria Chronicles 4, South Park plus lots of the old Resident Evil and Final Fantasy cheap as fuck and are great games.

Otherwise grab the obvious Nintendo name games like Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Odyssey/3D World (I think 3D World is better but people love Odyssey), Arms, Cadence of Hyrule, Bayonetta 2, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem, Zelda Skyward Sword, Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are the better ones imo. There's not much point waiting for these to go on sale as they rarely ever do.

Plus some indies are really cool like Horace, Shovel Knight, Cuphead, Steamworld Dig, The Escapists, Inside, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (the other Yooka Laylee game is shit), Flipping Death, Ori, Meat Boy, Celeste and lots of other stuff

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chef said:

Just came in to possession of a second hand Switch. Which games should I be getting - already got Mario Kart and BOTW on the way. 

BOTW is probably my favourite game ever. Would add Horace to the indy games above. So good.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Got both a PS5 and a Series X and I use the SX much more than the PS5 right now. Neither console is exactly swimming in exclusive titles right now (not sure there are any for the SX) but Gamepass is the best thing on the market.

Just finished The Outer Worlds (which is basically Fallout in space) and loved it.

Outer Worlds sounds fantastic, I'm so out of the loop these days that I don't even know what Gamepass is😂

I'll have to Google and research a bit more! 

22 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Outer Worlds sounds fantastic, I'm so out of the loop these days that I don't even know what Gamepass is😂

I'll have to Google and research a bit more! 

It's a paid subscription to access the Xbox online but it comes with access to loads and loads of games too, Gamepass can also work on PC (and plans for streaming it on your phone/tv too) so even non-Xbox gamers are getting it.

2 hours ago, jump said:

It's a paid subscription to access the Xbox online but it comes with access to loads and loads of games too, Gamepass can also work on PC (and plans for streaming it on your phone/tv too) so even non-Xbox gamers are getting it.

Not just loads of games, but it’s every Microsoft first party game (Halo, Forza, Gears, etc), every studio they own - so all the Bethesda stuff (Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc), EA Acess and a pretty healthy number of big name third party titles (the likes of Control, Football Manager 21 and GTA5 are there at the moment). Plus all future MS first party games go on there from day one.

It really is fantastic value, since getting my Series X before Christmas I’ve only actually paid for one game. Been playing the rest on GP.

Slay the Spire is an amazing indie rogue-lite. I've been racking up the hours for that on my Switch. 

Mostly otherwise the same as others have already mentioned. I've also been loving Octopath Traveller as a really good modern version of an 8-bit JRPG.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:12 PM, jump said:

If you wait for a digital sale you can get Mario + Rabbids, Borderlands Collection, Bioshock Collection, X-Com 2, Metro 2033, Burnout Paradise, Mortal Kombat 11, Valkyria Chronicles 4, South Park plus lots of the old Resident Evil and Final Fantasy cheap as fuck and are great games.

Otherwise grab the obvious Nintendo name games like Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario Odyssey/3D World (I think 3D World is better but people love Odyssey), Arms, Cadence of Hyrule, Bayonetta 2, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem, Zelda Skyward Sword, Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are the better ones imo. There's not much point waiting for these to go on sale as they rarely ever do.

Plus some indies are really cool like Horace, Shovel Knight, Cuphead, Steamworld Dig, The Escapists, Inside, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (the other Yooka Laylee game is shit), Flipping Death, Ori, Meat Boy, Celeste and lots of other stuff

I would add Hollow Knight to this list, I don't have too many games on the switch, but that one is by far the best. 

• Upvote 1

With Horizon rumored to be delayed to next year, PlayStation only really have Deathloop as an exclusive left this year, and that's only timed. 

Xbox on flip side have Halo and Forza Horizon, two huge games, going to be a strong end to the year for them. I suppose they didn't launch with much last year. 

Ultimately both consoles are selling incredibly well, so it's all good. The more competition the better!

44 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Is Forza really an exclusive? I’ve never owned an xbox but I can buy Forza today and play it on the PC if I wanted to. 

I don't think there any purely Xbox exclusives anymore, because Microsoft work to a shared Xbox/Windows ecosystem these days they usually release their games both on Xbox and OC.

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't think there any purely Xbox exclusives anymore, because Microsoft work to a shared Xbox/Windows ecosystem these days they usually release their games both on Xbox and OC.

The console wars are over. I have a PS4 at the moment, will upgrade to PS5 eventually. I also have a pretty decent spec PC for gaming on. Any game that comes out will be available on one of my two systems. 

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The console wars are over. I have a PS4 at the moment, will upgrade to PS5 eventually. I also have a pretty decent spec PC for gaming on. Any game that comes out will be available on one of my two systems. 

Not if you like Mario or Zelda…

18 minutes ago, scattered_screens said:

Honestly the Switch is just chilling here with an incredible library of games. My PS5 is collecting dust whilst I rinse Monster Hunter Rise.

My Switch gathers dust between the major releases.

Every couple of months I dust it off and grind through another level or two of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

My Switch gathers dust between the major releases.

Every couple of months I dust it off and grind through another level or two of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

Still need to pick up Tropical Freeze, I'm struggling to get enthused about the current PS5 roadmap right now. Basically just waiting for Elden Ring at this point. 

Just now, scattered_screens said:

Still need to pick up Tropical Freeze, I'm struggling to get enthused about the current PS5 roadmap right now. Basically just waiting for Elden Ring at this point. 

It would be fair to say I could have waited a year or two and not missed out on a whole heap. Mixture of FOMO and thinking that the likes of Horizon, GOW and a few other of the games they first showed off were coming quicker.

That said I'm pumped for Deathloop next month. Love the Arkane games.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

It would be fair to say I could have waited a year or two and not missed out on a whole heap. Mixture of FOMO and thinking that the likes of Horizon, GOW and a few other of the games they first showed off were coming quicker.

That said I'm pumped for Deathloop next month. Love the Arkane games.

I'm feeling the same! Despite being big into Arkane games I'm on the fence with Deathloop, hoping reviews and impressions sway me in the coming months.

8 minutes ago, scattered_screens said:

I'm feeling the same! Despite being big into Arkane games I'm on the fence with Deathloop, hoping reviews and impressions sway me in the coming months.

I preordered it with the refund I got from Cyberpunk.

Because I never learn.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded the Amnesia series on Switch for $4 last week, must be getting toward the end of the first one now. Didn't think much of it at first, but really into it now. My mate played it on PC a decade or so ago and wouldn't stop going on about how scary it was for a few weeks. It has made me jump twice, although I'm not so sure that I'm immersed enough for it to be proper scary. 

Started Hades on Gamepass last night. Not a huge fan of Roguelikes (still never got past the first level on Demon Souls) but thought I'd give it a go seeing as it was raved about last year.

Early impressions are decent, but I can see myself getting bored quickly if it's just the same few rooms over and over again.