The Gaming Thread

TheJackson

I'm currently playing Mass Effect: Legendary Edition. It reminds just how good the series is, the whole story through the trilogy, the character relationships you build up and how your decisions impact what happens in the game. Im on ME3 atm and thoroughly enjoying it.

Played Portal Two for the first time this week. What an absolute hoot, loved it. 

Picked up the Bioshock games on PS4 for pretty cheap having never played them but heard a lot about how good they are. Started the first one and... it just seems a bit shit. Probably about 90 minutes in. I didn't care for Fallout 3, which so far Bioshock seems to be ripped off from. Going to try and tough it out though as I've heard that the story is good. 

6 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

Played Portal Two for the first time this week. What an absolute hoot, loved it. 

Picked up the Bioshock games on PS4 for pretty cheap having never played them but heard a lot about how good they are. Started the first one and... it just seems a bit shit. Probably about 90 minutes in. I didn't care for Fallout 3, which so far Bioshock seems to be ripped off from. Going to try and tough it out though as I've heard that the story is good. 

Same. Fallout 3 and Bioshock 2 both were quit early. Must get back to them.

Pre ordered Skyward Sword HD there.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Same. Fallout 3 and Bioshock 2 both were quit early. Must get back to them.

Pre ordered Skyward Sword HD there.

I loved the Bioshock games myself, 2 in particular is my favourite of the 3.

I’m in two minds about getting Skyward Sword. It’s the worse of the 3D Zeldas but without the waggle controls I might enjoy it a lot more.

3 hours ago, jump said:

I loved the Bioshock games myself, 2 in particular is my favourite of the 3.

I’m in two minds about getting Skyward Sword. It’s the worse of the 3D Zeldas but without the waggle controls I might enjoy it a lot more.

Ive never played it. But the worst Zelda game is better than 99% of games out there.

Really just buying it to tide me over till BOTW2. And to justify me actually having a Switch. Nintendos worst console ever for me. Fuck all to play on it. Really just aimed at little kids and people who like shite 2D indy dungeon games. Which are already available elsewhere. Abysmal selection of first party games apart from Mario this and Pokemon that. Mario Golf, Mario Makes Origami, Mario Takes a Shit.... 

Its a dire state of affairs when the best they have to offer this summer is a re release of a 10 year old game.

Looking forward to Metroid Prime 4 though.

14 hours ago, The Nal said:

Ive never played it. But the worst Zelda game is better than 99% of games out there.

Really just buying it to tide me over till BOTW2. And to justify me actually having a Switch. Nintendos worst console ever for me. Fuck all to play on it. Really just aimed at little kids and people who like shite 2D indy dungeon games. Which are already available elsewhere. Abysmal selection of first party games apart from Mario this and Pokemon that. Mario Golf, Mario Makes Origami, Mario Takes a Shit.... 

Its a dire state of affairs when the best they have to offer this summer is a re release of a 10 year old game.

You can't be surprised that Nintendo makes kiddie games, it's like going to Reading festival and complianing about there being too many teenagers and the line up is full of soundcloud rappers.

1 hour ago, jump said:

You can't be surprised that Nintendo makes kiddie games, it's like going to Reading festival and complianing about there being too many teenagers and the line up is full of soundcloud rappers.

Sure. And they always have of course but usually you get 3 or 4 games that are aimed at gamers and an audience above 8 years of age. Outside of BOTW, theyve released nothing on the Switch really. 

They badly need of a Rare type partnership. Or get Miyamoto back producing games and not designing theme parks. 

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Sure. And they always have of course but usually you get 3 or 4 games that are aimed at gamers and an audience above 8 years of age. Outside of BOTW, theyve released nothing on the Switch really. 

They badly need of a Rare type partnership. Or get Miyamoto back producing games and not designing theme parks. 

Fuck having Miyamoto making games again, he's only wants to make gimmick games. The last hands on console game he did was Star Fox Zero which was unplayable because on the control scheme he put in it.

They still are doing non-kiddy games but it's mostly for Japanese/anime type gamers with stuff like Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain etc but they have bankrolled Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 in an effort to stay in touch with western gamers which is their real problem. They have Retro Studios in Texas who apparently have been struggling for years after producing the excellent Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong games but their key talent left to form their own company so now Retro keep having their games cancelled due to quality issues until Metroid Prime 4 ended up with them after being cancelled at another studio and they also have Next Level Games in Canda who have been making the recent Luigi's Mansion and Punch Out games which were really good, I'd actually rate Luigi's Mansion 3 as better than Super Mario Odyssey myself. 

There's enough to keep me playing for the time being even if I don't buy Skyward Sword and Advance Wars, Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes 3, Metroid Dread and Shin Megami Tensei 5 are out this year which I will grab. Although nothing on Switch this year touches Horizon Forbidden West and Guardians of the Galaxy which look great.

I love my Switch. But I'm mostly playing JRPGs and indies, while using PC for hardcore strategy. I got turned off a lot of the triple A franchises towards the end of the Xbox360/PS3 era.

Very excited for TWEWY2, bit worried about the development and dual-screen thing not being as good solo as the original DS, but we'll see.

20 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I love my Switch. But I'm mostly playing JRPGs and indies, while using PC for hardcore strategy. I got turned off a lot of the triple A franchises towards the end of the Xbox360/PS3 era.

Very excited for TWEWY2, bit worried about the development and dual-screen thing not being as good solo as the original DS, but we'll see.

I loved the orginal TWEWY but I may give this one a pass as it looks like just another action JRPG now in terms of gameplay, they should have just made it for the 3DS when they had the chance.

2 hours ago, jump said:

I loved the orginal TWEWY but I may give this one a pass as it looks like just another action JRPG now in terms of gameplay, they should have just made it for the 3DS when they had the chance.

I think I'm going to struggle to resist it even though it looks more generic. Might wait to see if I can pick it up at a discount.

22 hours ago, The Nal said:

Skyward Sword is probably my second favorite Zelda game after Ocarina. That said I wasn't enamored with BOTW, it was a good game but all the emptiness was a bit disappointing and I'd have rathered proper dungeons again. Still looking forward to BOTW2 mind.

You buy a Nintendo console for the first party games and the random third party shit that the likes of Sony and Microsoft won't touch. My Switch can go months between being played.

That said, the last couple of nights I've been using my 450 quid Xbox Series X to blast through.... Sonic The Hedgehog 2.

18 hours ago, TalkShow Bob said:

Skyward Sword is probably my second favorite Zelda game after Ocarina. That said I wasn't enamored with BOTW, it was a good game but all the emptiness was a bit disappointing and I'd have rathered proper dungeons again. Still looking forward to BOTW2 mind.

I liked the departure of BOTW as opposed to the usual Zelda "small village training ground - big field - dungeons - castle". Havent looked forward to a game as much ever as BOTW 2. 

16 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

My Switch can go months between being played.

Agree and thats poor. Havent turned mine on in months. Last game I played was Horace and thats available everywhere else. 

27 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I liked the departure of BOTW as opposed to the usual Zelda "small village training ground - big field - dungeons - castle". Havent looked forward to a game as much ever as BOTW 2. 

Agree and thats poor. Havent turned mine on in months. Last game I played was Horace and thats available everywhere else. 

I'm pretty sure Horace isn't on Playstation or Xbox, it's just on Steam and Switch at the moment.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Not commuting much over the last year hasn't helped matters much either.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Anyone interested in this portable Steam Deck?

Not being a PC gamer I’m not too interested, but if it runs Microsoft and specifically Gamepass then it basically becomes a portable Xbox, which I would be interested in…

I'm interested but sceptical, I really need to see it running for more than a hour on a single battery charge and that it's not playing everything in the lowest pc settings but it could be awesome.

4 hours ago, Dan R said:

It's got potential but feels like there's a lot of areas it could have problems. Plus it's pretty pricey for purely handheld system.

It’s got a dock (sold separately) like the Switch so you can play it on the telly.

21 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Anyone interested in this portable Steam Deck?

Not being a PC gamer I’m not too interested, but if it runs Microsoft and specifically Gamepass then it basically becomes a portable Xbox, which I would be interested in…

the steam thing will be better I'm sure, but I bought a razor kishi for my phone and now I've got a portable xbox. I can play forza et al at work now.

IMG_20210523_222808_998(1).thumb.jpg.9ebd225ef60738c998a2761a9080b67f.jpg

On 7/18/2021 at 6:32 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Stuck the four quid down as a speculative preorder. Imagine I’ll be pretty near the back of the queue so plenty of time to assess whether it’s actually worth buying or not.

Didn't they have a roughly availability date when you reserved it? I was gonna pre-order it today after seeing some more previews but it came up with the availability of Q2 2022.