The Gaming Thread

TheJackson

An increasingly rare foray into the forums...

I've got both the PS5 and Series X. However, the only true Next Gen game I've played is Astros playground, which has BY FAR the best original soundtrack I've heard in years, and probably the best I've ever heard outside of Halo and Street Fighter. Whoever did this should by rights be headlining stages at festivals, it's amazing. 

Anyway, I've just been using the PS5 to play PS4 games- started The Last of Us, but lots of SF5 and for F1 2020. On the Xbox, Fallout 76 seems to work reasonably well on it, and lots of MCC and Halo 5. Bits and bobs of other games as well. 

On 2/1/2021 at 8:59 AM, sirjonnyp said:

Everyone that is about to tuck in to Control is in for an absolute treat, my favourite game that I've played since MGS2. The best description I read about it somewhere was 'if David Lynch made an action game'. I loved everything about it, but I get why people have found it divisive. The main story itself isn't that long, so if you aren't sure about it, at least stick with it for a few hours until you get to what's known as the Ashtray Maze toward the end. I've never felt a video game make me feel like I was in a movie like that. I didn't stop telling Ms P about it for about a week afterwards. When the PS5 version comes out it's going to look amazing.

I had a long time out of playing video games properly, only really buying one or two second-hand games a year from the PS3 onwards, but with moving to Aus, unemployment, and then lockdown over the last year I've got back in to playing in a big way. The benefit to my mental health has been huge. Probably played through about 15 games over the last year on the PS4, got a switch too so Ms P can join in a bit. Currently close to the end of Hollow Knight, which is really good. 

Downloading now and will start after Witcher. Very excited. I’ve been missing a “ray tracing game” since Miles Morales. Need some graphics to gawk at.

Finished Cyberpunk last night - 68 hours according to the in game clock. That include the main story, all the major side stories, most of the fixer gigs and a fair few police hustles. Got what I assume is one of the “happy” endings.

Gotta say... I absolutely loved it, shanky performance and all, great storytelling, missions and satisfying gunplay. That said, because I focused on the side missions early I was hilariously over powered by the end. Was just slicing through fools with my blades for fun by the end.

Gonna take a break and play something else. Might go back to it soon and replay the last few missions to see a different ending and will come back to it in a year or so once the next gen upgrade is out.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Would people recommend Hitman? Looking at 2016. Seems like my kind of game. 

Yeah its good, the latest one was the best one in my opinion as it actually had cinematic scenes and the storyline and missions were the best but if you are gonna play it, you need to play the trio. The first two are good but the maps peak on the third. Quite cliche the storyline but its what you expect from Hitman. Theres loads of targets within levels after you have completed the story and have different ways to do the story missions so you always have something to do. Its good fun, good pass time but its a game I play, leave for a bit and come back to it. When they decide to add different targets and elusive targets for 3, it will be great. It gets better as you get further, I'd recommend it Nal.

Cant wait to see what they do with the game in the future after this trilogy. Would love a hitman open world.

55 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Yeah its good, the latest one was the best one in my opinion as it actually had cinematic scenes and the storyline and missions were the best but if you are gonna play it, you need to play the trio. The first two are good but the maps peak on the third. Quite cliche the storyline but its what you expect from Hitman. Theres loads of targets within levels after you have completed the story and have different ways to do the story missions so you always have something to do. Its good fun, good pass time but its a game I play, leave for a bit and come back to it. When they decide to add different targets and elusive targets for 3, it will be great. It gets better as you get further, I'd recommend it Nal.

Cant wait to see what they do with the game in the future after this trilogy. Would love a hitman open world.

Great stuff cheers, will pick this up today and get killing

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Looks exactly like the sort of thing I should love but have never been able to get on with it.

Mainly because I’m terrible at stealth and incredibly impatient.

I love the stealthy stuff. Splinter Cell etc. I love knifing people in the back. Innocents preferably.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:12 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Looks exactly like the sort of thing I should love but have never been able to get on with it.

Mainly because I’m terrible at stealth and incredibly impatient.

I've played 3 Hitman games and never got past level 1. All of them want you to walk your way up a long drive, and I just can;t do it.

I'm playing Days Gone currently, and they're making me do these constant missions where you have to spy on a researcher. I keep getting caught and it's driving me mental. I don't care about what they have to say.

I played Hitman 2016 a few weeks ago after first giving it a go a few years ago and bouncing off.  Stuck with it and really got into it, but I love sneaky stealth type games.  I can spend ages biding my time for right kill!  Conversely, I've never been a fan of shooters though -  they're too frenetic for me, so it's horses for courses I suppose.  I've got Hitman 2 in my pile now.

Had a go at Days Gone not long ago too, I got about half way through it before packing it in.  It's a decent enough game but completely unexceptional, and the main characters are unlikeable dicks.  There was a series of quests that came in quick succession that sent me back and forward across the map for a cutscene, once for just a single line of dialogue, and so that was that.  I have a low tolerance for games that waste my time!

54 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I played Hitman 2016 a few weeks ago after first giving it a go a few years ago and bouncing off.  Stuck with it and really got into it, but I love sneaky stealth type games.  I can spend ages biding my time for right kill!  Conversely, I've never been a fan of shooters though -  they're too frenetic for me, so it's horses for courses I suppose.  I've got Hitman 2 in my pile now.

Had a go at Days Gone not long ago too, I got about half way through it before packing it in.  It's a decent enough game but completely unexceptional, and the main characters are unlikeable dicks.  There was a series of quests that came in quick succession that sent me back and forward across the map for a cutscene, once for just a single line of dialogue, and so that was that.  I have a low tolerance for games that waste my time!

I'm on that bit now I think. I'll be in one camp with a mission in another. Fast travel there, talk to a guy, tune what they're saying out and then the missions ends. Then go back to the other camp for the exact same thing.

When it's fun it's fun, but it's a weird game. Wants to be both the Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption but isn't nearly as interesting or well done as either.

There's a bunch of Nintendo Eshop sales at the moment so I've ended up buying Scott Pilgrim, X Com 2, South Park Stick Of Truth, Hades, The Escapists and Worms W.M.D. That will keep me going until there's something worth buying a PS5 for.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:06 PM, Matt42 said:

Honestly I can’t even beat the tower knight.

Got as far as the bridge with the dragons before dying.

You can tell that modern games have spoilt me. Back in the 80’s and 90’s when you died in a game you went back to the start of the level, none of this checkpoint nonsense. Now dying and going back to the start infuriates me!

Blasting through Mario 3D World at the moment. 30+ years of playing Mario games make them easy for me...

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Hades. Not my type of game at all. Don't get the hype. A bog standard dungeon slasher/button masher. 

I got it to see the hype after it started winning GOTY awards. It plays very slick & smooth plus the art work is cool but yeah it's another dungeon crawler albeit a very good dungeon crawler. It hasn't got the wow factor from what I expect a shiny GOTY game to be.

I asked someone why it's so acclaimed and they just mentioned it's only got 20 people working on it rather than the hundreds working on The Last Of Us so fuck knows.

1 hour ago, jump said:

I got it to see the hype after it started winning GOTY awards. It plays very slick & smooth plus the art work is cool but yeah it's another dungeon crawler albeit a very good dungeon crawler. It hasn't got the wow factor from what I expect a shiny GOTY game to be.

I asked someone why it's so acclaimed and they just mentioned it's only got 20 people working on it rather than the hundreds working on The Last Of Us so fuck knows.

Horace is 50 times the game Hades is and that was only one guy!

Not bought/played Hades yet cos I'm not in the mood for a hack'n'slash. The main thing for me is that it's by the studio that did Bastion which is an absolute gem of a game. It's a £20ish indie title rather than a £50 AAA game. Next time I'm in the mood for that sort of game I'll probably pick it up. I think it's overhyped by the context, rather than because people are seeing something that's not there.

@jump

Started a NG+ in Fire Emblem:3H, you mentioned you'd done the "best" path, which was it?

My first run was with Black Eagles, Edelgard route, and I enjoyed it but felt it's ended prematurely, currently doing Blue Lions. I've also upped the difficulty to hard after finding it too easy on normal.

Edited by kaosmark2