The Gaming Thread

TheJackson

Will look into dreamcast. Never had one as a kid so it hold no nostalgic emotions over me, but one of the guys I'm moving in with probably did.

N64 is my choice to be fair - with Goldeneye and Mario kart as the stand out games already owned.  

but I do like the ps1 and think it is underrated.

I really don't think goldeneye aged well. I bought myself a n64 about 4 years ago and it really disappointed in comparison to everything else.

The Gamecube was a gem of a machine too, and has the advantage of better graphics than older machine without being too HD and modern.

Plenty of Mario Golf / Party / Tennis / Kart types games, Smash Bros, Zelda, Metroidy stuff, some Resident Evil, F-Zero GX, Soul Calibur II (an okay version), one of the best Star Wars blasters ever made in Rogue Leader.

Definitely a sit-around and play machine.

Basically it's what a Wii was before Nintendo gaming became about tossing-off invisible acrobats.

I don't understand your logic if you don't get a Dreamcast.

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast is the finest thing in the world. I hate the sequels and I hate the HD version on the Xbox, but the Dreamcast version is sublime.

Metropolis Street Racer (the game that became the PGR franchise, but was better here) was epic too. The game that made me stop hating racing games. Ferrari 355 Challenge is good too.

Jet Set Radio and Power Stone deserve a look-in too. Shenmue too, of course.

Indeed Dreamcast was amazing! I remember my mates taking the piss when i first got one over a PS2...I was like but online gaming and internet! :P

Oh and Visual Memory Units!

Batman tomorrow guys!

Was tempted! But think I will wait until it becomes cheap for this.

Edited by LondonTom

wasn't really too pumped for the Batman game, but polygons review has me interested

Rocksteady has said this is its last Batman game, and I'm praying to the New Gods that they're on the level. After Arkham Knight, trying to find more meat on the Batman bone would define futility. After Arkham Knight, Batman has been perfected — and the end result is the best game of this console generation.

I am a little skeptical, because I know the fanboy can be strong when it comes to Marvel / DC etc. I'll wait for the EG review before I deffo take the plunge. 

Edited by t8yman

The Batman games have always been of the highest production standards for their generation, I reckon.  The developers have a really good pedigree and that you can see it's influence in other games since is testament to their work.

I'm now torn between a choice of upgrading my PC in the autumn or going to Iceland with friends (I have never travelled, not even left the country since I was a teenager a quarter of a century ago).  Decisions decisions!

The Batman games have always been of the highest production standards for their generation, I reckon.  The developers have a really good pedigree and that you can see it's influence in other games since is testament to their work.

I'm now torn between a choice of upgrading my PC in the autumn or going to Iceland with friends (I have never travelled, not even left the country since I was a teenager a quarter of a century ago).  Decisions decisions!

fuck games, get on that plane. Iceland looks like a stunning country. when you are laying on your deathbed, do you want to reminisce about the great time you had in iceland, or hark back to the days you were hunched over the PC playing a game made for teenage boys?

On another note, read this interview with Luke Smith from Bungie, regarding the horrific pricing policies surrounding the upcoming Destiny DLC, its stunningly arrogant, deluded, and highly insulting to gamers. And props to Tom Phillips from Eurogamer for not giving him an easy ride.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-destiny-the-taken-king-director-defends-40-expansion-price-tag

On another note, read this interview with Luke Smith from Bungie, regarding the horrific pricing policies surrounding the upcoming Destiny DLC, its stunningly arrogant, deluded, and highly insulting to gamers. And props to Tom Phillips from Eurogamer for not giving him an easy ride.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-destiny-the-taken-king-director-defends-40-expansion-price-tag

Salient moment in that interview:

Luke Smith: [Laughs]

Angry Joe asked one of the guys from Rocksteady (forgot his name) about their pricing for the Batman season pass and he just said "it's the way of the industry at the moment; we just forcus on creating great content for you all."

Edited by WS_Jack_III

wasn't really too pumped for the Batman game, but polygons review has me interested

Rocksteady has said this is its last Batman game, and I'm praying to the New Gods that they're on the level. After Arkham Knight, trying to find more meat on the Batman bone would define futility. After Arkham Knight, Batman has been perfected — and the end result is the best game of this console generation.

I am a little skeptical, because I know the fanboy can be strong when it comes to Marvel / DC etc. I'll wait for the EG review before I deffo take the plunge. 

Everything I heard about it is it's Arkham Origins (which I quite liked) with a Batmobile that doesn't fit into the streets properly. I'm not getting it till the Game of the Year edition comes out in time xmas for half the price with all the DLC included.

When will people learn to not buy into the hype and pre-ordering full price crap like Watch Dogs, Destiny, Drive Club etc just to be disappointed because it’s broken, needs a patch and dlc which comes months later at which point it's £20 cheaper.

Edited by jump

When will people learn to not buy into the hype and pre-ordering full price crap like Watch Dogs, Destiny, Drive Club etc just to be disappointed because it’s broken, needs a patch and dlc which comes months later at which point it's £20 cheaper.

Don't think I've bought a game for over £15 in 5 years.

Everything I heard about it is it's Arkham Origins (which I quite liked) with a Batmobile that doesn't fit into the streets properly. 

That's not the reviews I'm hearing. It's getting much better scores than Origins, but nothing like as high as City. 

Gamesradar are one of the better reviewers, they gave Asylum 4.5/5, city 5/5, and Knight 4/5.

That's not the reviews I'm hearing. It's getting much better scores than Origins, but nothing like as high as City. 

Gamesradar are one of the better reviewers, they gave Asylum 4.5/5, city 5/5, and Knight 4/5.

It's Origins in the sense it's a repeat of City (yet again) rather than it's got a similar number slapped on it which is meant show how good it is without the context of a review, in anycase the real reason Origins got low scores despite being pretty much the same game as City was because it wasn't made by the same studio.

Edited by jump

The reason that Arkham Asylum was so good was because it came out of nowhere.  I wasn't even aware that the game existed until a while after it came out when I started hearing good things about it.  City was a very good game, but didn't quite capture the same magic as Asylum.  I haven't played Origins.

Now it just fells like... oh its another batman game.

• Upvote 1

The reason that Arkham Asylum was so good was because it came out of nowhere.  I wasn't even aware that the game existed until a while after it came out when I started hearing good things about it.  City was a very good game, but didn't quite capture the same magic as Asylum.  I haven't played Origins.

Now it just fells like... oh its another batman game.

I thought City was too open, too wide, too exploratory. Asylum had a really nice blend and balance.

Didn't come completely out of nowhere though. It benefited from an increased batman interest due to the success of The Dark Knight, but I loved how it wasn't just a direct film ripoff at the same time.

I thought City was too open, too wide, too exploratory. Asylum had a really nice blend and balance.

Didn't come completely out of nowhere though. It benefited from an increased batman interest due to the success of The Dark Knight, but I loved how it wasn't just a direct film ripoff at the same time.

Yes I thought the same.  I think it worked better as a slightly more linear game.

It certainly didn't have the level of hype behind it as Arkham City and now Arkham Knight have got behind them.

I hadn't bought a game in around a year and I had finished my exams so yesterday I picked up Bioshock Infinite, Metro Last Light and Resistance 3 on the PS3 for £14. Already around half way through Bioshock and I'm loving it and I can't wait to play the others. Metro was a game that I always wanted to play but never got round to it (and I had a PS3 so I couldn't play the first one) and I loved the first Resistance and even though the 2nd one had some cool set pieces and story telling I didn't like the removal of health packs and carrying all your weapons for regenerating health and only 2 weapons but the I know the 3rd is more like the first so I'm looking forward to that.