Boney M to headline

5co77ie

I saw Boney M a couple of years ago at the Trowbridge Pump Folk Festival when they were pulled in as last minute replacements when a member of one of the headlining bands suffered a family bereavement. A lot of the purist folkies were very sniffy at the idea but they put on a very good show and went down a storm.

And there should be plenty of other names at Wychwood to keep you happy.

I've seen them before.... they were a fun enough singalong.... just hoped for something a bit....well... better.

by the late timing of the announcement I suspect the booking has more than a small part of the availability of suitable acts within it, and probably isn't a first choice in an ideal world.

Festivals can only book the acts that are available and which are affordable. It's all very well wanting perfection, but the real world often intrudes on that.

by the late timing of the announcement I suspect the booking has more than a small part of the availability of suitable acts within it, and probably isn't a first choice in an ideal world.

Festivals can only book the acts that are available and which are affordable. It's all very well wanting perfection, but the real world often intrudes on that.

that is true, I realise that - Not sure what you mean by 'perfection' though. I'd have taken most things.

I was looking for a local festival with day tickets, had seen dreadzone announced, and thought that a good headliner above them would persuade me to part with 2 x £44 for my wife and I for a family day out enjoying some tunes.

Sadly, this hasn't made the grade.

They must have spent all their money on UB40 Ali Campbell, and we know how much you love that Neil...

that is true, I realise that - Not sure what you mean by 'perfection' though. I'd have taken most things.

I was looking for a local festival with day tickets, had seen dreadzone announced, and thought that a good headliner above them would persuade me to part with 2 x £44 for my wife and I for a family day out enjoying some tunes.

Sadly, this hasn't made the grade.

They must have spent all their money on UB40 Ali Campbell, and we know how much you love that Neil...

to phrase it another way, Do you think Boney M, Undertones and Dreadzone is worth £44?

to phrase it another way, Do you think Boney M, Undertones and Dreadzone is worth £44?

It's always any individual's value judgement to make. :)

I will point out tho that what you've listed isn't all you get for that £44.

I merely added my comment above as an attempt at putting some (presumed) context on the booking, as your first 'underwhelming' comment is coming from that perfect world idea. Perfect world isn't always possible in the real world, no matter how much a person might try.

I've got no personal interest in the booking myself, btw, but I understand that festivals can only work the possible and not the impossible.

Boney M played a free gig in Stroud at a charity truck pull event last year. They are not Wychwood headline material.

Especcially as the festival was promising "big names" for 10th the anniversary.

that's all very well, but what do you do if there's no "big names" available to be booked?

You go for the next best thing that is available, and that's pretty much what this booking looks like to me. There's no festie organiser who can work the impossible.

A very different efestivals tune to when bearded booked Ali Campbell (ub40)....

Something along the lines of "enjoy your cod shit reggae", If memory serves....

Why the change of tone, Neil?

Because it's a different subject, that appears to have passed your limited thinking by? :rolleyes:

I've not commented on anything of the quality of the bookings here, I've merely suggested reasons about why one act has been booked.

It appears the 'small festival just doing their best' principal applies to some festivals, but not others then.

From where I'm sitting, you seem a little inconsistent in your appraisal of these things.

On each occasion I've given honest responses to what's put in front of me. :rolleyes:

If you want me to respond to what's not being said, my choice of subject would be be what your own agenda is, and we can go there is you like...?

My angle is this......

I thought you're cutting comments on the Bearded UB40 Ali Campbell subject were harsh at the time, they are a small independent festival who are trying to provide a good value 3 days of entertainment. They do this without the corporate sponsorship of wychwood, whilst allowing punters to take their own drinks in (unlike wychwood), profits go to charity.

You're in a position of some influence on this forum, and I would have thought that it would be more tasteful to go easy on the booking. The organisers had made it clear that there were not many options, book the best they can get, exactly as you have said above - I couldn't understand why you commented as you did, but it's of course your right to slate their efforts as you see fit.... and that you did.

So, when a festival like wychwood, which rinses the punter for a great deal more cash over entry / food / bar etc announce the really very poor combination of Ali Campbell, Proclaimers and Boney M, I was interested when you defend them as you do, as to why that might be.

I think you've been inconsistent in how you approach these things, and I'm simply asking you 'why is that?'

I thought you're cutting comments on the Bearded UB40 Ali Campbell subject were harsh

take your issues about the organiser you're laughing back to the organiser who mis-represented the line-up of that other festival to you. :rolleyes:

If you've got something to say about Wychwood you're welcome to post it here.

If you're looking to be pointless, you'll find facebook somewhere else.

Edited by eFestivals

nice one, thanks for the feedback.

It's interesting to note that the Wychwood website promotes the saturday night headliner as "UB40 - Ali, astro and mickey". A fine line indeed.

We shoudn't worry too much though, if Boney M (1 surviving member, but 'legally' Boney M) aren't up to much, we can just head along to the Efests Comedy tent for a bit.

• 4 weeks later...