Kanye west confirmed

mike99

1 minute ago, jparx said:

That's the one that jumped out at me as well.

Bit of a banger actually.

The instrumental is. The lyrics in this album are probably peak pretentious Kanye.

You know he loves Jesus because he’s rich. He’s of the belief that God is rewarding him with wealth.

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

I’ll persevere with it but it’s making me re-evaluate Pablo. Whilst it’s bloated, the quality of the good stuff is far higher.

Suppose the quality had to drop at some point. There’s few that’s had such a hit rate of classics in this era.

Yeah was pretty disappointed in Pablo when it first came out but I rate it up there just under his best now - a few forgettable tracks aside it’s all brilliant.

His current scattershot work ethic towards his albums really isn’t doing him any favours. Production sounds sloppy. Lyrics half baked. Songs not fully formed despite being worked on over and over again. I’m guessing his ‘I only make gospel music now’ schtick wont’t last, but he clearly needs to approach his creative process differently. IMO, Kids See Ghosts was so much better than ye and JIK because there was a collaborator there to reel him in and stop him completely changing up the album until hitting send.

But aye, got a pretty outstanding run of albums that went on longer than most could hope for - was always gonna drop off eventually, and maybe he’ll release another somewhere down the road.

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m guessing his ‘I only make gospel music now’ schtick wont’t last

Did you listen to that and think that it's just schtick? I believe it, and I'm happy for him.

Tbh the album itself - for me - has taken a backseat to the transformation of the man, like a confirmation that he's not full of shit on this one. If it does stick, it's more than likely the end of his music career as we know it. But shit, he'd been in a dark place for a whole decade with us not knowing if he's gonna pull through it, so if religion is what's gonna lift him then crack on. He's got four kids to be there for now so that's more important than putting out another classic album for a guy who has too many classic albums.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

I love God Is. It’s the only time his new found belief comes across as truly genuine and quite moving in all Honesty.

follow god is a banger . Love the sax on use this gospel. There’s some really moving moments on this album but rather like Kanye , it’s a bit all over the place. Hope one day we get peak Kanye back . That run of albums from graduation to TLOP Is so unbelievably good.  Remember Glastonbury 2015 where everyone was telling me yeezus and mbtdf was shit  and I was like .. lol wut ?

TLOP way underrated , top level Kanye . 

He’s never going to make an album like his first few again. His ego is so big he’s just going to do whatever the fuck he wants to do, which is stuff like this. It’s just a feedback loop, his ego determines that whatever he does he thinks is brilliant, he’s not going to give a toss about making an album full of hits anymore.

36 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

He’s never going to make an album like his first few again. His ego is so big he’s just going to do whatever the fuck he wants to do, which is stuff like this. It’s just a feedback loop, his ego determines that whatever he does he thinks is brilliant, he’s not going to give a toss about making an album full of hits anymore.

He's going to heaven though god bless him

Give it a 3/10. I love all his work from College Dropout to TLOP, but this is just insufferable dirge to be honest. 

Always enjoyed how “out there” he is, but this bible bashing schtick ain’t for me. How he wanted everyone on his album to practice no sex before marriage...what a bell.  His privilege is giving him such a warped world view on politics and religion too, get in the bin. 

This album is kinda growing on me but it’s still his worst one.

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

I get the feeling there aren't many opposing voices in the studio when he's making this stuff.

Exactly that. It’s what happens though when you surround yourself with people who want to believe in the god complex.

Agree that it's his worst album, but I do like a few of the tracks. Haven't stopped playing it since Friday anyway. Wish he'd kept Young Thug on On God. Also looks like there's a version of Use This Gospel with Meek Mill going about. Yet another rushed project, why were they still mixing it on Friday morning - after weeks of delays? As mentioned in the posts above, he's almost certainly surrounded by a bunch of yes men.

I wish he didn't scrap Yandhi, most of the leaks from it are great. However having just watched his recent Zane Lowe and Big Boy interviews, he seems happier now which obviously is far more important than his musical output and if he's genuinely finding peace in religion then good for him. It does very much seem as if he's currently in a manic phase though, particularly in the Big Boy interview. Which also will make it very hard to work with him/say no to him.

I went in completely blind listening to JIK, as I hadn't heard any leaks. The only track I had heard was Water, when he performed it back on Easter Sunday at Coachella.

I would agree that this certainly isn't his best album. I've read a quite a few reviews, and I agree with what most of them say - tracks are far too short, the album lacks consistency and the lyrics are bad. The latter doesn't matter so much to me, as lyrics have never been his talent (with the exception of some of MBDTF). That said, I really like Water, Use This Gospel and Closed on Sunday amongst others. If anything, many of the tracks help to compliment his amazing back catalogue and would go down really well in a show. 

It's clear these days that music is no longer his focus. TLOP, Ye and JIK have sounded rushed in comparison to previous efforts and I'm not sure if we'll ever get a solid landmark album again. It seems like waves of inspiration are never consistent and often we never hear similar styles again, like the stunning version of Say You Will with Caroline Shaw. For the first time in years, his production and creativity limelight are being stollen by other artists, such as Travis Scott's amazing Astroworld and DAMN by Kendrick Lamar.

That being said, I'll be first to buy tickets if/when the show comes to the UK. I'm not confident he'll play Glastonbury again as the 2015 show didn't go well, but I hated missing out on the TLOP tour.

The Yandhi demos of a lot of these songs (and the ones he left off) sounded so much better and fully formed than what we ended up getting on JIK. It sounds like he really struggled lyrically - like all this preaching isn’t natural to him at all and so he had to cut and chop songs down to accommodate his new lyrical themes. Real shame.

I don’t see it sticking. I think once he’s settled in to his faith rather than his current ‘religion or nothing’ phase we’ll get hints of the old Kanye back. Maybe not another masterpiece, and the current editing to the last minute thing is probably here to stay considering it’s so easy to do what with streaming, but this guy hasn’t stuck to something for more than a year and I feel like he’ll move on from this as well, even if he is going all in at the moment. 

I listened to the album once, and I don't think I will ever again. I also went to see the movie yesterday. I didn't know the context of either of them, but I've always been a fan of pretty much anything Kanye has put out... But I just can't stomach so much talk about Jesus and god. I left the movie just 10 minutes in, after sitting through 3 different songs about how great religion is.

Each to their own, but this stuff has just alienated me.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:39 AM, Matt42 said:

Yeah I agree. I think Travis is a MBDTF away from completely over taking Kanye. 

Sooooooooooo dumb. Nobody was even on a Travis Scott hype around here until Astroworld - which is cool but maybe almost on par with TLOP - and now his oeuvre is being compared to Ye's? Pure awful shout.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:24 AM, K2SO said:

I listened to the album once, and I don't think I will ever again. I also went to see the movie yesterday. I didn't know the context of either of them, but I've always been a fan of pretty much anything Kanye has put out... But I just can't stomach so much talk about Jesus and god. I left the movie just 10 minutes in, after sitting through 3 different songs about how great religion is.

Each to their own, but this stuff has just alienated me.

The movie is called Jesus is King and you walked out because he was going on about how Jesus is king? Like what did you fucking expect?

Edited by dentalplan

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Sooooooooooo dumb. Nobody was even on a Travis Scott hype around here until Astroworld - which is cool but maybe almost on par with TLOP - and now his oeuvre is being compared to Ye's? Pure awful shout.

The interesting thing about Travis is ASTROWORLD was absolutely heads and shoulders above the rest of his work. It’s unfair to say he wasn’t popular beforehand though, his previous work and the sound in general were massive in the US before. I also saw the album toured and it was on par with Glow In The Dark, WTT and above Glastonbury.

I disagree that the album ranks with TLOP because it has far more creative production (despite both being Mike Dean’s work) and has a totally new sound. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a massive Kanye fan and have been since his production on the Blueprint, but other artists are inching closer to his top spot.

Each to their own though, music means different things to different people.

Edited by discgoesmic