Kanye west confirmed

mike99

10 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

27 minutes long. Good effort.

Not entirely sure what point you're trying to make.

It seems to be a trend in rap at the minute.  In the last year or so Pusha T, Earl Sweatshirt and Vince Staples have all put out albums that came in at under 30 mins and were fantastic.  I'd much rather have a short album of quality than an hour long bloated mess.

That said I haven't listened to this yet but I'll report back in half an hour.

There are definite moments of brilliance, but much like ‘ye’ a lot of it just sounds half baked and messily produced, and the Jesus preaching is pretty cringey for the most part - runs out of steam lyric-wise pretty quickly. I’m sure bits and pieces will grow on me, but once again it’s a far cry from the greatness he was producing a decade ago. Somebody really needs to reign him in in the studio and get him back on that MBDTF perfection shit.

I love Kanye.

I want to word this in a way that really doesn’t make me sound like a prick but, without taking loads of prescription drugs, partying and meeting women of the night you’re never going to get another beautiful dark twisted fantasy, which was the Kanye I really fell in love with.

The gospel influence is actually executed really well, it’s not particularly my thing, but I can really appreciate what he’s done here. 

I think this could be another case of age and lifestyle altering an artist that made their name very young, people either get it and click or they hold on to the past and struggle to understand what the artist has become. The production is brilliant, it stays very pertinent to its theme but again, it’s veered off into a direction that I’m not overly into, which is completely fine because I know for a fact that there will be huge numbers of young people who go to church and are into their rap connect with this a lot more than Yeezus due to its gospel and religious influences. It’s a great message and speaks directly to a lot of people. 

I really like the album tbh. Not necessarily for the reasons he wants me to but he remains a fascinating artist. It's like he's really straining himself to make this deeply sincere gospel redemption thing but he's such a fundamentally weird and narcissistic guy that the resulting album ends up being incredibly sad and creepy. I figure it's not going to work at all for a lot of people - there's not a single bop or banger on the thing. But I find it really compelling and I think those put off by it will come around in a while. 

On a side note, I really disliked Ye when it released but somehow this album's made it make a lot more sense to me. They really feel like part of the same project somehow. 

Hmm. I don't think it's awful but it's a million miles away from his best. We're at two clunkers in a row now...you can't say he's lost it because he's still one of the most creative and enigmatic musicians on the planet and could easily turn around and drop something spectacular, but he just seems miles behind the likes Kung Fu Kenny now.

It just makes me sad that the bloke who released a phenomenal string of records from Dropout to Yeezus has dropped so massively. I won't say he's lost "it" but he's lost something that's for sure.