Kanye west confirmed

mike99

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

They're alike within the context of my point - each released an album when nobody was expecting it, and that very fact generated arguably as much or more interest than if they hyped it in a traditional sense (and definitely more than if they hyped something then didn't deliver).

RTJ didn't surprise release any albums, really - they released previously announced albums early. And I don't think it made them any bigger than they would've been.

Eminem, Beyonce and The Carters are the only ones that come to mind where they pushed a button and the album was released, and they probably can cos they'll get the sales regardless and their albums will naturally stay in the public eye for some time. It's much more the done thing to announce an album for a few days away because it amps up the hype, draws in some preorders and people can clear their schedules to listen to it.

Additionally, if it's an unpredictable artist like Frank or Ye where the fans half expect it not to actually arrive on time and it only adds to the fervour, I don't see it as a misstep.

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

RTJ didn't surprise release any albums, really - they released previously announced albums early. And I don't think it made them any bigger than they would've been.

That's true - RTJ had already announced #3, but nobody was expecting it before the end of last year, and that surprise utilised the REACTION!! videos that garner hundreds of thousands of views these days, and make it hard for traditional press to ignore.

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Additionally, if it's an unpredictable artist like Frank or Ye where the fans half expect it not to actually arrive on time and it only adds to the fervour, I don't see it as a misstep.

It probably won't hurt the overall brand, but it will damage confidence in his reliability. When Ye announces his next album is out, it's much more likely to result in "yeah ok, whenever..." than "OMG, it's dropping on this date!", and that's less than ideal for him.

Edited by kalifire

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

Kanye going on twitter to declare himself a non-profit branch of Apple while completely ignoring the album he said he was going to drop yesterday is pretty hilarious tbf. Keep it up fella.

YZY is the new operating system he’s developing so would make sense if he’s working for Apple, but yeah, would rather hear about the record.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s obviously not the worst thing to happen as a result of this presidency by any stretch, but fuck me is this ever-worsening mess unbelievably hard to process and accept.

I really hope that one day he wakes up and realises just how hard he’s being used and how far away he’s pushed everyone who ever loved those first six records, and that the support is there for him when he does. It definitely feels too far gone for him to ever recover his career now but he can at least recover his person.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy