Kanye west confirmed

mike99

I've given it some time to wash over me and I'm just not feeling it. There's only No Mistakes and Ghost Town that are anything like up to his usual level. Pablo was fairly sprawling but there's still at least 7 or 8 decent tracks. I dunno, it might grow on me, and it's not like he's lost his mojo, the beats on Daytona confirm he's still got it in droves. Definitely his weakest album so far for me.

For me it's the first Kanye project that doesn't really have an identity of it's own. So much of it sounds like bits from his previous work, and a few vocal melodies even sound recycled (chorus to Yikes sounds like verses of FML. Kanye's bit in Ghost Town sounds like Runaway). From the sounds of it it was a bit of a rush job after he scrapped a bunch of the album post-slavery comments but he had a deadline to meet so pushed something out, which worked on Yeezus and to a lesser extent TLOP but this time hasn't really panned out for a lot of it, which for 23 minute album is especially disappointing. 

I still enjoy the album to an extent, but after Violent Crimes finishes I'm always left underwhelmed. Ghost Town is still a stormer though.

Yeah I like it a lot. But, much like Daytona, it feels too short to really class it alongside the feature length pieces so I dunno about weighing a seven song project against stuff like TLOP or Graduation where there are seven songs you could happily skip.

@FloorFiller I definitely think it has its identity. Family life and - quite heavily - mental health are the players. If anything it’s too concentrated on that given the short timeframe it was written and recorded. I dunno what TLOP’s identity was, other than the chaos of the track list and the release date and snek.

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

KSG also sounding pretty average on first listen. Definitely picked up towards the end but meh.

Yeah I mean maybe I was setting myself up by expecting Ghost Town: The Album but I thought it was really rubbish. The first half is some cringey rap rock shit, it's nicer when it chills out on the second half but even that's just passable. Not into that at all. Will give it some more time when it's out properly but initially very let down.

5 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Yeah I mean maybe I was setting myself up by expecting Ghost Town: The Album but I thought it was really rubbish. The first half is some cringey rap rock shit, it's nicer when it chills out on the second half but even that's just passable. Not into that at all. Will give it some more time when it's out properly but initially very let down.

And hanging around.

Yeah I finished my second listen just now and I feel like we've all been tricked into giving a Kid Cudi album another go. It's not terrible or anything (and I don't get the rap rock comparison?) but I'm gonna forget about it by the end of the month. Freee has entered the pantheon of disappointing sequels - it's probably raised 070 Shake's star even more by not being a part of that one.

I think Ye and Daytona are very good but not perfect. Not sure which I'd choose out of the two just now. The latter is probably benefiting in the wider world from being an introduction to Pusha T for many, whereas Ye isn't as _____ as The College Dropout nor as _____ as Yeezus, etc.

Even if this is a glorified Cudi album, it's the best album he's ever put out for sure. Kanye's verses and production are definitely the best bits mind and Cudi is unfortunately not as consistently great as he is on the other Kanye projects he's featured on. Had lowered my expectations for this one so I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm enjoying it.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Listened to it again last night and I'm pretty sure the order of the tracks is different to the livestream. The second to last song which I referred to above is actually track 2 on the real album.

Might be something to do with this?

9 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Might be something to do with this?

Mislabeled track titles wouldn't do that, though, unless the fact they're mislabeled has fucked up the order on Spotify?

I just know that when I listened to the livestream I enjoyed the second to last song, and then when I listened to it on Spotify last night the song I enjoyed was now the second song on the album. Didn't know the track title either time and still don't haha.

25 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Mislabeled track titles wouldn't do that, though, unless the fact they're mislabeled has fucked up the order on Spotify?

I just know that when I listened to the livestream I enjoyed the second to last song, and then when I listened to it on Spotify last night the song I enjoyed was now the second song on the album. Didn't know the track title either time and still don't haha.

Second to last song is actually the title track (which is pretty obvious from the 'Kids see ghosts sometimes' refrain). Correct track list is:

Feel the Love
Fire
4th Dimension
Freeee
Reborn
Kids See Ghosts
Cudi Montage

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Second to last song is actually the title track (which is pretty obvious from the 'Kids see ghosts sometimes' refrain). Correct track list is:

Feel the Love
Fire
4th Dimension
Freeee
Reborn
Kids See Ghosts
Cudi Montage

Yeah order is just fucked up on Spotify then. Kids See Ghost is the one I was on about and it's track 2 on Spotify.