Kanye west confirmed

mike99

• 8 months later...

Whole thing obviously needlessly tainted by Taylor-gate but yeah it's still ace. If only he'd refined the tracklist a bit it'd be almost as good as Dark Twisted Fantasy for me. But as it is:

MBDTF

Yeezus

Graduation

Pablo

808s

WTT

College Dropout

Imaginary EP of non-album songs like FourFiveSeconds and Only One

Cruel Summer

Late Registration

edit: I realise that makes it look like I live by some kind of rule about insistently preferring his later stuff which isn't the case, but oh well.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 minute ago, Zac Quinn said:

Whole thing obviously needlessly tainted by Taylor-gate but yeah it's still ace.

MBDTF

Yeezus

Graduation

Pablo

808s

WTT

College Dropout

Imaginary EP of non-album songs including FourFiveSeconds and Only One

Cruel Summer

Late Registration

Late Registration last!? Probably my second favourite (after MBDTF obviously). No album that has We Major on it could ever come last. Why the hate?

The Life of Pablo has definitely grown on me over time. Definitely his patchiest album all over imo, but the highs are very high. Father Stretch My Hands, Pt. 1 is 2 minutes and 15 seconds of pure perfection (bleached assholes and all).

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Late Registration last!? Probably my second favourite (after MBDTF obviously). No album that has We Major on it could ever come last. Why the hate?

The Life of Pablo has definitely grown on me over time. Definitely his patchiest album all over imo, but the highs are very high. Father Stretch My Hands, Pt. 1 is 2 minutes and 15 seconds of pure perfection (bleached assholes and all).

it's like ranking LCD albums innit. LR isn't a bad record by any means, Hey Mama and a couple of others are sublime and there are probably few songs by anyone that I listened to as a teenager more than Heard 'Em Say. but the album as a whole is 'very good' rather than 'Kanye good' imo, and also it suffers for the inclusion of Gold Digger which got plain annoying for undeservedly becoming his most famous song. might be harsh to rank it lower than FourFiveSeconds though yeah.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Haven't stopped listened to The Life Of Pablo in secret since it came out, so fucking annoying what a masterpiece it is. I mean, it's obviously a shitty mess, but it's fucking brilliant.

Albums Lawn hated that eventually won him over:

Blonde ☑
The Life of Pablo ☑
Pure Comedy ☐
Everything Now ☐

50 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

it's like ranking LCD albums innit. LR isn't a bad record by any means, Hey Mama and a couple of others are sublime and there are probably few songs by anyone that I listened to as a teenager more than Heard 'Em Say. but the album as a whole is 'very good' rather than 'Kanye good' imo, and also it suffers for the inclusion of Gold Digger which got plain annoying for undeservedly becoming his most famous song. might be harsh to rank it lower than FourFiveSeconds though yeah.

It did look like you were making a point that it was bad ranking imaginary albums and Cruel Summer (not a Yeezy album) above it, yeah.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Blonde ☑
The Life of Pablo ☑
Pure Comedy ☐
Everything Now ☐

It did look like you were making a point that it was bad ranking imaginary albums and Cruel Summer (not a Yeezy album) above it, yeah.

oh right. But yeah no. It'd be a career highlight for most artists, just not him. 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Blonde ☑
The Life of Pablo ☑
Pure Comedy ☐
Everything Now ☐

You missed out Boxer, which as of last week I recognise as The National's finest work.

If Pure Comedy and Everything Now do turn out to be brilliant then I'd be well chuffed, but I gave them both yet another go very recently and couldn't finish either of them.

Late Registration is a weird one, hits absolutely outrageous highs for the most part, but gets marred by about 4 or 5 complete clangers. Most jarring being when it goes from Hey Mama straight into "Yeah, you know what this is, it's a celebration bitcheeees. Grab a drink, grab a glass, after that I grab yo ass" :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

20 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I've been listening to Graduation a lot recently, that album bangs

Homecoming was/is one of my favourite songs ever but when it came out iTunes did some annoying thing where you had to buy the entire album to get that one song, so twelve year old me reluctantly spent £8 of precious pocket money on it. Ended up being one of my favourite albums ever. So good.

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Graduation's definitely my least favourite, but it's a very good album, with astonishing highs. For all his faults, Kanye never fails to deliver when it's album time.

personally think the highs on Graduation are higher than those on Pablo

Edited by rhg_99

I'm not sure whether it's just because I blasted it non-stop back then or because some aspects of it (Chris Martin feature, T-Pain, Daft Punk sample) seem so dated now but the most eminent theme I get from Graduation is "2007", whereas every other Ye album is pretty much timeless. Still rank it higher than 808's but it's kinda at a disconnect with early era Kanye and genius era Kanye. It's also 10 today, funnily enough, so cheers to that.

Anyway...

MBDTF > The College Dropout > Late Reg > Yeezus > TLOP > Graduation > WTT > 808's

Didn't know 808s was so unpopular here!

MBDTF > Late Registration > College Dropout > Yeezus > 808's > The Life of Pablo > Graduation > Watch the Throne

I think what dental said about Graduation feeling extremely 2007 is bang on, I feel like WTT has dated pretty quickly as well except for a few choice cuts (Paris, No Church in the Wild, Murder to Excellence) and the rest of the tracks are a bit lacklustre. Seriously, does anyone listen to Lift Off anymore? Made in America? Why I Love You?

TLOP is a weird one. Wouldn't class it as being near my favourite albums of 2016 (probably down to the inconsistency), but along with AMSP and the Local Natives album it was without a doubt what I listened to the most. Had it on pretty much non-stop when it was released.

In terms of ranking his albums, haven't listened to half of them in forever but something along the lines of:

MBDTF > The College Dropout/Late Registration > Yeezus > TLOP > 808s/WTT

Just realised I've left Graduation out which would probably slot in around Yeezus/TLOP-level. MBDTF and the final two are the only placings that are cemented for me.

Gonna have a listen through of his discog in the coming days to give a more informed ranking as my taste has changed a fair bit since I listened to half of these albums anyway.