Kanye west confirmed

mike99

Yeah sorry using Pitchfork is an obselete barometer.

How about using anydecentmusic.com? It does at least aggregate most critical results and looks like modern hip hop is doing rather well in their all time results (only a few years tbh!)...Their all time top ten:

1. 9.2

Kendrick Lamar To Pimp A Butterfly

2. 9.1

D'Angelo And The Vanguard Black Messiah

3. 8.9

Sufjan Stevens Carrie & Lowell

4. 8.9

Frank Ocean Channel Orange

5. 8.9

Anaïs Mitchell Hadestown

6. 8.8

Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

7. 8.8

Deafheaven Sunbather

8. 8.7

Sleater-Kinney No Cities To Love

9. 8.7

PJ Harvey Let England Shake

10. 8.7

My Bloody Valentine mbv

Edited by scrippit

Not sure about that.

Listen to some of the best hip-hop albums in the last few years like RTJ, Danny Brown, Ratking, Kendrick, clipping, Odd Future's various members and Kanye and then compare them to lots of the 'Golden Age' era artists and if anything, the old stuff sounds a lot tamer.

and then there is Death Grips.

I agree, just look at this old tame stuff

Look, it's very simple. You said 'the modern stuff' is tamer and more mainstream and made no qualifications to the brevity of that statement. That's clearly a ludicrous oversimplification of a diverse and wide-ranging genre.

Modern stuff is definitely more mainstream and I'll over simplify as much as I like.

New hip hop is tame and mainstream, old stuff is better and raw. I won't hear any more from you on the subject.

• Downvote 2

There is a lot more shit mainstream hip hop now made especially for the clubs now though, isn't there? Let's not pretend Kendrick and Kanye and Death Grips are representative of the whole genre of hip hop.

Never said they were. There's a lot of shit hip-hop. There's a lot of shit rock. There's a lot of shit dance.

Never said they were. There's a lot of shit hip-hop. There's a lot of shit rock. There's a lot of shit dance.

Of course there is. People happily moan about that all the time. 100% of these arguments are put forward by people that have given up actively seeking out the good stuff and base their judgement on what's at the forefront so I can sort of see why it's said but I also know why it's best to disregard the argument as well.

Lols.

Actually, I'd like to congratulate you on some fine trolling. Genre specific trolling also. Bravo.

My favourite bit was how you won the argument forever with your debating skills and use of examples to prove your point (two examples in the face of many examples opposing your view).

I mean, listen to this, its so weak and tame.

That De La Soul sound is so much more wild and rugged!

De La Soul were pioneers of a new breed of hip hop at the time.

Lols.

Actually, I'd like to congratulate you on some fine trolling. Genre specific trolling also. Bravo.

My favourite bit was how you won the argument forever with your debating skills and use of examples to prove your point (two examples in the face of many examples opposing your view).

I mean, listen to this, its so weak and tame.

That De La Soul sound is so much more wild and rugged!

To be fair tyler the creator isn't the best example of modern hip-hop, he's pretty shit live and other than being quite funny is nothing that special, he's eminem with added doses of controversy and some cooler beats.

His mate on the other hand:

Sorry I'm a bit drunk but if we're talking good modern hip hop you can't just look at what's in the charts, you can't say modern hip hop is mild when you only look at what is selling

get your ears around b dolan

Edited by sloseph

Danny Brown repping the soft, modern shit you can enjoy with a cuppa and your nan.

Just to be on topic, what are people thinking about special guests? Is Kanye gonna bring some mates with him or will he want his set to be all about him?

Edited by SirDaniel