Kanye west confirmed

mike99

True. But with Kanye I thought he makes it easy for people to hate him irrespective of music style or skin colour.

My experience of Snoop alone at the festival would suggest to me that those who attend, in the main, dont have the issues some say define the hate for the Kanye booking. It was the middle of the day and the field was jammers. Especially at the pinch points near Mandela and the markets. Not Dolly jammers by any stretch but definitely not sparse as Glasto goers would rather be elsewhere than listen to and watch a black man perform his angry black man music.................

I'd say the likes of Snoop isn't the same as he wasn't a headliner. Jay-Zed is the nearest comparison, I'd say.

And Zed doesn't have any of the same hate as Kanye does thrown his way, and yet Zed got much the same reaction.#

So at best it does look like it's mostly driven by an anti-hiphop idea. You then need to look into what it is about hiphop specifically which causes such a big reaction.

What Kanye West album should I try before Glastonbury if I decide I wanna watch Kanye?

I know nothing about his genre at all, although the only songs I know (Goldigger and the 2 with McCartney) I don't dislike.

(p.s To give you an idea of my usual music taste, my favourite artists are Damien Rice, Jamie T and Frightened Rabbit.)

Late Registration for the accessibility, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy for the Full Kanye cranked right up to 11.

What Kanye West album should I try before Glastonbury if I decide I wanna watch Kanye?

I know nothing about his genre at all, although the only songs I know (Goldigger and the 2 with McCartney) I don't dislike.

(p.s To give you an idea of my usual music taste, my favourite artists are Damien Rice, Jamie T and Frightened Rabbit.)

if you are looking for just 1 album then i'd say My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the one to go for, i think it's his most complete album and gives you a proper taste

if you've got the time then working you way through the albums chronologicaly is a great way to go, his first 3 albums are really strong and you can see how he develops over time

Acts from niche genres are always going to get a negative reaction. That's why they are a niche genre: because they arent popular with the masses.

The same thing happened last time a niche act headlined, Metallica last year.

If eminem was due to headline there would be a petition to stop him playing too I reckon.

I am sure there is a small element of racism in all this, but I dont believe that's the driving force behind people not wanting him to play.

For most people I suspect it comes down to the fact they think hip hop is shit and kanye west is a c**t.

Seems odd you keep calling hip-hop a "niche genre", obviously implying indie/rock isn't. I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from. They're both very mainstream.

So at best it does look like it's mostly driven by an anti-hiphop idea. You then need to look into what it is about hiphop specifically which causes such a big reaction.

Most of the bigger acts either shit, verging/viewed in the same regard as "pop" (the throw away kind like T Swizle :P) in the credibility stakes and then you also have the fact that most of them are fairly antagonising characters outside of music.

And this is different to indie or rock how, exactly?

The feels of the real music =p

Which part do you find different?

Indie/Rock is bigger genre amongst festival goers in general, so less people see as it being shit.

You barely hear of most band members exploits, so less automatically antagonising. (Its harder to direct hate towards a whole band to, than say one person like Kanye.)

Seems odd you keep calling hip-hop a "niche genre", obviously implying indie/rock isn't. I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from. They're both very mainstream.

there are a handful of hip hop artists who have broken into the mainstream (generally by selling out and making pop records), but in general it's a niche genre.

But who cares, kanye is shit and a c**t. I couldnt care less about anything other than those 2 key points.

Edited by russycarps

Thanks to those of you who recommended My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as a Kanye West album for me to try out. I know nothing about hip-hop or rap, but to my complete surprise, I'm enjoying some of it!

After three listens so far, I'm particularly enjoying Monster, Hell Of A Life and Blame Game

If there's no-one else on Saturday night who I'm into, I actually may end up looking forward to a bit of Kanye!

• Upvote 1

Oh come off it, it's not like hip-hop just divides into old=good, new=bad. By that logic he should check out Vanilla Ice over Run the Jewels.

I agree, never said otherwise mate, but modern stuff is much more chart friendly and I would say diluted compared to the old stuff.

I love Kanye's stuff by the way, just hate him as a person, he's a c**t

Edited by Big Vern