Kanye west confirmed

mike99

Nah, we wouldn't. People claim they want diverse acts but really most would be happy with the same sad, bloated fucks being wheeled out year after year.

How many more coldplay, oasis, nghfb, alt-j, florence and her machine sets, can we stomach

you must've heard this?

tune

I'm gonna be there, right in the middle of that pyramid crowd having the time of my life even it's pouring with rain.

Didn't actually think they'd get a headliner in the same year that would top the Foos for me

Foo Fighters and then the next day Kanye? This is what Glastonbury is about! Magical!

98 days.

well said :)

"WTF ???? so who is support, One Direction ? ......... Where is this good Glastonbury , with stars like Status Quo"

funniest thing i've read all hour

BE THERE

was there, amazing night

This is the most dramatic change of tune I've seen in a long time

Only because it's probably superior to a 'meh' booking. At the time of my second post, my thoughts were 'this or Coldplay' basically. Don't get me wrong, still think he's shite!

I get the impression that in recent years, 'celebrity' Kanye has outweighed 'artist' Kanye. Maybe I'll have a listen to some older stuff, I know there's a few albums which are quite acclaimed.

Sorry, I'm still not sure you understand what critical acclaim means.

It's not an option that he's critically acclaimed. It's an option that the acclaim was misplaced, but not that it was there.

I know exactly what critical acclaim means. I'm not sure that you understand that I'm not doubting he's received critical acclaim. I'm doubting how meaningful it is claiming that he (or anyone else) is 'one of the most' of anything.

Given that Glastonbury should be trying to book the biggest available acts for the headline slots, you can't argue with someone of his stature headlining. However given the disrespect he's shown to other artists, his well publicised rants and I'd argue is less of a star than Jay-Z was, then it's certainly a risky booking. Will be interesting to see what size the crowd is after about 30-45 minutes.

As I actually rarely watch the pyramid headliners, I'm personally not that bothered. Just hope it's not a booking that Glastonbury really regrets. Will be plenty on elsewhere.

Not sure what it says about the state of British music that two of the headliners are American and potentially a third in Taylor Swift.

Worth quoting in full:

Kanye West might inspire loathing in some, but everyone who thinks Glastonbury headliners have tended towards the dull should rejoice: hes the opposite of dull

Kanye West performing on the Jonathan Ross Show in February 2015

Kanye West Never boring. Photograph:

Michael Hann

Given the choice between these two spectacles for a festival headline set, which would you prefer? On the one hand, a perfectly likeable big rock band, with their plaid shirts, rolling out the same set theyve been squelching round the world for ages, full of songs you know, though not necessarily that many you love, unless youre a hardcore fan. Or, on the other, the worlds most mercurial and unpredictable pop star, a man convinced of his own genius and prone to gestures so grand they rather take the breath away.

Kanye West to headline Glastonbury 2015

Read more

Its not that theres anything wrong with Foo Fighters theyre a perfectly sensible, safe, belt-and-braces choice of festival headliner. You know what youll be getting, and they know how to deliver with the utmost professionalism. But Kanye West is a whole other level of pop star: hes the nearest this generation has to the great provocateurs of the 1970s hes our Bowie or Bolan, our Iggy or Lydon. He absolutely does not care about what you or I think; he is not doing this to be liked, he is doing this to unravel his own psyche, to test the limits of what pop will tolerate. He understands that pop, at its best, is the grandest spectacle of all, that its a vehicle for ideas. It doesnt matter if the ideas are half-baked anyone who goes to a pop record expecting a thorough dissection of Isaiah Berlins theories of liberty is a fool its that they are idea at all. And West is full of them, some good, some bad, none of them boring.

Even at his absolute worst, West appears to be aware of his own fabulous preposterousness: Awesome, his love song to Kim Kardashian, which leaked last week, was a pretty terrible piece of work, but then, two-thirds of the way through Kanye signalled, with the straightest of faces, that he was in on the joke, too. Im also awesome, he crooned, through the Auto-Tune, a nod to all the people who think hes nothing more than a giant ego, bouncing around the stratosphere of self-aggrandisement.

And, yes, he is a giant ego. But its that giant ego that makes him such a fascinating figure: someone about whom even those who disdain his music have opinions. His gift is for making conversations happen, even if the way he does so is sometimes just as jaw dropping as the things he wants discussed but the conversations he starts usually matter, because hes engaged with the world. The fashion industry is racist he asserts, offering its rejection of his ideas as proof. Well, mate, they might just have thought leather jogging bottoms were a spectacularly bad idea, but youre right its hard not to look at the fact that the industry is dominated by white people, often appropriating street fashions from the black community without thinking hes got a point. So Black Jesus was his way of confronting the demand of the music industry for young black artists to portray themselves as thugs and hustlers, and offer them something different to aspire to? Well, pal, white singers who suggest they are the son of God are likely to get a few raised eyebrows, too but, yes, youre right, the music industry does seem to have a particular favoured role for the young, black man.

Glastonbury often gets accused these days of playing it safe, from those nostalgic for the risk taking days of the past (presumably they mean years such as 1985, when Level 42 the epitome of danger headlined on the Sunday night). Booking Kanye West to headline is not the safe option. Will he interrupt his set to bring the world a lengthy diatribe on his views about any of the great range of topics upon which he has opinions, as he did at the Wireless festival last year? Will he choose to play one song over and over again, as he and Jay Z did with Niggas in Paris during the Watch the Throne tour? Will he engage in some ludicrous and borderline offensive piece of staging, as he did with the Yeezus tour, which featured both the confederate flag and an appearance by Jesus, attracted the opprobrium of both the liberal left and the religious right?

Kanye West isnt just a pop star. Hes an event. Having him headline Glastonbury in front of huge live crowd and a massive TV audience makes Saturday night at Glastonbury the pop event of the year. This will be a spectacle. And who doesnt want spectacle at a festival?

Worth quoting in full:

Kanye West might inspire loathing in some, but everyone who thinks Glastonbury headliners have tended towards the dull should rejoice: hes the opposite of dull

Kanye West performing on the Jonathan Ross Show in February 2015

Kanye West Never boring. Photograph:

Michael Hann

Given the choice between these two spectacles for a festival headline set, which would you prefer? On the one hand, a perfectly likeable big rock band, with their plaid shirts, rolling out the same set theyve been squelching round the world for ages, full of songs you know, though not necessarily that many you love, unless youre a hardcore fan. Or, on the other, the worlds most mercurial and unpredictable pop star, a man convinced of his own genius and prone to gestures so grand they rather take the breath away.

Kanye West to headline Glastonbury 2015

Read more

Its not that theres anything wrong with Foo Fighters theyre a perfectly sensible, safe, belt-and-braces choice of festival headliner. You know what youll be getting, and they know how to deliver with the utmost professionalism. But Kanye West is a whole other level of pop star: hes the nearest this generation has to the great provocateurs of the 1970s hes our Bowie or Bolan, our Iggy or Lydon. He absolutely does not care about what you or I think; he is not doing this to be liked, he is doing this to unravel his own psyche, to test the limits of what pop will tolerate. He understands that pop, at its best, is the grandest spectacle of all, that its a vehicle for ideas. It doesnt matter if the ideas are half-baked anyone who goes to a pop record expecting a thorough dissection of Isaiah Berlins theories of liberty is a fool its that they are idea at all. And West is full of them, some good, some bad, none of them boring.

Even at his absolute worst, West appears to be aware of his own fabulous preposterousness: Awesome, his love song to Kim Kardashian, which leaked last week, was a pretty terrible piece of work, but then, two-thirds of the way through Kanye signalled, with the straightest of faces, that he was in on the joke, too. Im also awesome, he crooned, through the Auto-Tune, a nod to all the people who think hes nothing more than a giant ego, bouncing around the stratosphere of self-aggrandisement.

And, yes, he is a giant ego. But its that giant ego that makes him such a fascinating figure: someone about whom even those who disdain his music have opinions. His gift is for making conversations happen, even if the way he does so is sometimes just as jaw dropping as the things he wants discussed but the conversations he starts usually matter, because hes engaged with the world. The fashion industry is racist he asserts, offering its rejection of his ideas as proof. Well, mate, they might just have thought leather jogging bottoms were a spectacularly bad idea, but youre right its hard not to look at the fact that the industry is dominated by white people, often appropriating street fashions from the black community without thinking hes got a point. So Black Jesus was his way of confronting the demand of the music industry for young black artists to portray themselves as thugs and hustlers, and offer them something different to aspire to? Well, pal, white singers who suggest they are the son of God are likely to get a few raised eyebrows, too but, yes, youre right, the music industry does seem to have a particular favoured role for the young, black man.

Glastonbury often gets accused these days of playing it safe, from those nostalgic for the risk taking days of the past (presumably they mean years such as 1985, when Level 42 the epitome of danger headlined on the Sunday night). Booking Kanye West to headline is not the safe option. Will he interrupt his set to bring the world a lengthy diatribe on his views about any of the great range of topics upon which he has opinions, as he did at the Wireless festival last year? Will he choose to play one song over and over again, as he and Jay Z did with Niggas in Paris during the Watch the Throne tour? Will he engage in some ludicrous and borderline offensive piece of staging, as he did with the Yeezus tour, which featured both the confederate flag and an appearance by Jesus, attracted the opprobrium of both the liberal left and the religious right?

Kanye West isnt just a pop star. Hes an event. Having him headline Glastonbury in front of huge live crowd and a massive TV audience makes Saturday night at Glastonbury the pop event of the year. This will be a spectacle. And who doesnt want spectacle at a festival?

It's almost as if they knew this announcement was coming...

All most of us have managed is

'pffffSHIT YES'

or

'He's a c**t'

Edited by Alcatraz

Not sure what it says about the state of British music that two of the headliners are American and potentially a third in Taylor Swift.

Probably nothing given the recent high-profile British headliners and all the British headliners at other UK festivals.

I'm very very pleased to have someone at the top of his game bring about diversity to the festival. I think he'll deliver a hell of a set. Yes he steams arrogance, but I think the more arrogant a rapper the more they have to deliver on a live show. I'll really want to make an effort to see him, but a really awesome alternative mean that I will go else where.

I'm also pleased because this lessens the likelihood of Swifty doing a Sunday headliner slot.

Edited by willutalk