Questions that you don't feel deserve their own thread

klipper

hi guys,

I know this has prob been asked 1000 times... this is my first time at Glasto - where is the best part to try and camp?- or is there such a thing lol.

Reasonable question. There are lots of threads on here if you look around about different places. My answer is it depends on what sort of music you like and where you are therefore likely to be at the end of the night when you have to stagger back to your tent. If you are likely to end up on the West side (John Peel) you don't want to walk all the way back to a tent on the East. Similarly, if you end up at the Acoustic on the East you don't want to walk acropss to a tent on the West.

Wherever you choose to camp spend a fair bit of time making sure your tent is properly set up, your bed made etc before you dash off to explore Glasto's many offerings. It's not much fun trying to re-pitch a tent late at night, in the dark when pissed.

Also make a note of where it is in relation to fixed objects like roadways, hedges, toilets or other landmarks because when you return in the dark it can be hard to find and will probably have been surrounded by hundreds of other similarly coloured tents.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reasonable question. There are lots of threads on here if you look around about different places. My answer is it depends on what sort of music you like and where you are therefore likely to be at the end of the night when you have to stagger back to your tent. If you are likely to end up on the West side (John Peel) you don't want to walk all the way back to a tent on the East. Similarly, if you end up at the Acoustic on the East you don't want to walk acropss to a tent on the West.

Wherever you choose to camp spend a fair bit of time making sure your tent is properly set up, your bed made etc before you dash off to explore Glasto's many offerings. It's not much fun trying to re-pitch a tent late at night, in the dark when pissed.

Also make a note of where it is in relation to fixed objects like roadways, hedges, toilets or other landmarks because when you return in the dark it can be hard to find and will probably have been surrounded by hundreds of other similarly coloured tents.

ill have to look at the map and figure out where is what etc lol!! traveling from Belfast that tuesday night which is going to be a delight - NOT!! thanks for the reply ill keep that in mind!.....

There's no definitive answer to the question. It depends a lot on where you arrive (how far do you have to walk from the gate), when you arrive (certain fields will fill up quickly), and what factors are important to you (some fields are better located, whereas you tend to get more space further out, some tend to be livelier at night while some are quiet, etc etc)

Do you have any thoughts on the above?

no we are unsure of what gate to even go to, just checking out the transport situation at the mo, i dont think it really matters as to where we actually camp just would prefer somewhere that we dont have to walk miles to and from,but if we have to we have to lol will check out the map and hope for the best :)

hi guys,

I know this has prob been asked 1000 times... this is my first time at Glasto - where is the best part to try and camp?- or is there such a thing lol.

This is well worth a read:

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq/faq-part-1

He goes through the site with pros/ cons of all the fields with pictures, and apart from camping its a great read.

Enjoy

Please could somebody direct me to all (or most) of the site maps from the 1990s to 2013? I want to study the expansion of the festival. Sometime between 2003 and 2013 (I didn't attend between these years) the site increased hugely.

http://www.wbc-team.co.uk/glasto-2007-2008-2009.html

covers 2007 to 2013 { will add to them when I have time

Does anyone here recommend taking a little camping stove?

I toyed with the idea last year but decided not to.

I would recommend it! We took one last year, along with a collapsable kettle. A bloody godsend. I do love a cuppa something hot when hungover/coming down.

coming from the U.S. and am planning on doing click and collect with Cosy Camper and then taking my tent back to the States with me after the festival. Does anyone have an experience using Cosy Camper? And if so how did it go/where were they located on site?

coming from the U.S. and am planning on doing click and collect with Cosy Camper and then taking my tent back to the States with me after the festival. Does anyone have an experience using Cosy Camper? And if so how did it go/where were they located on site?

In 2014 they had a shop set up on path out of Silver Hayes leading to Bushy Ground. Got emergency wellies and a couple of blankets from them, top bunch, very friendly and helpful.

I would recommend it! We took one last year, along with a collapsable kettle. A bloody godsend. I do love a cuppa something hot when hungover/coming down.

do you find the onsite water from the taps with the added chemicals tastes odd when you boil it? would you boil mineral water if possible? really odd question i appreciate!!

do you find the onsite water from the taps with the added chemicals tastes odd when you boil it? would you boil mineral water if possible? really odd question i appreciate!!

Onsite water tastes fine boiled and drank cold.

It is properly regulated like the water you get out of the taps at home.

Onsite water tastes fine boiled and drank cold.

It is properly regulated like the water you get out of the taps at home.

My experience is that can vary dramatically from one part of the site to another. I used to camp in Dragon Field when it was open to the public, and found that the Chlorine levels rendered the water almost undrinkable, whereas on other parts of the site it was absolutely fine.

Personally I'll take a water filter bottle with me, which removes the chlorine and improves the taste.

Edited by incident

I couldn't manage without a couple of cups of coffee first thing and a mug of cocoa at night and also hot water for a wash. So yes definitely a stove. These are not too heavy or bulky but watch out for lighting it inside your tent.

portable_camping_stove.jpg

But the other great addition is a pop up toaster. Folds flat to the size of a dinner plate, virtually no weight and great for toast and marmalade first thing.

28wlyyp.jpg

what will traffic be like around 13.00 (ON WED} ,hoping to get there about that time ,usually get there early to avoid the queues but that aint happening this year.

Edited by cidy

My experience is that can vary dramatically from one part of the site to another. I used to camp in Dragon Field when it was open to the public, and found that the Chlorine levels rendered the water almost undrinkable, whereas on other parts of the site it was absolutely fine.

Personally I'll take a water filter bottle with me, which removes the chlorine and improves the taste.

Was it the same every day?

I ask as I used to work for a water company and at weekends so they could do maintenance works they often pumped water from different treatment plants/boreholes.

Saturday am especially the chlorine levels were very high compared to normal.

We have a burner and a built in toaster section on it, fucking godsend in the mornings I tell thee.

I also bring 2 stovetop espresso makers as I am a right grouchy fucker in the morning without coffee. I recommend you bring at least a small one for hot water, you can even use it for a quick rinse down so it is well worth it.

My experience is that can vary dramatically from one part of the site to another. I used to camp in Dragon Field when it was open to the public, and found that the Chlorine levels rendered the water almost undrinkable, whereas on other parts of the site it was absolutely fine.Personally I'll take a water filter bottle with me, which removes the chlorine and improves the taste.

Not sure how long you are going back, but they have made big inprovements to the water supply, now have there own underground resovoir.

Last year in my opinion the drinking water was fine from all the taps I used.

Does anybody know how likely it is that Christy Moore will play? He's tbc for Friday at the moment.

If efestivals have him listed as TBC, then it's very very likely he'll play.

They do make an occasional mistake, but generally most people take TBC as being as close to a confirmed appearance as you can get without the festival announcing it. I can only recall a handful of TBCs over the years that haven't panned out - most notably Coldplay this year and the Pet Shop Boys last year.