Death Throes of NME?

Woffy

So, the NME sucks generally...but have an awards ceremony that better reflects modern DECENT IMPORTANT music than any other on the planet...

...PLUS we get exclusive Glasto announcements?!

Still shite?

Just need a new written media business model?

Getting SOMETHING right?!

I still think it matters and it's good for the section of the music scene it supports to have a bit of focus. I was hearing good things about the Father John Misty album and I still checked NME to see how they reviewed it. The difference between now and 20 years ago is that I also checked youtube and numerous other internet sites to either listen to it or read a review. It's a much more competitive market.

I still think it will be missed.

I hope it survives. Having some new bands that actually have something interesting to say might help.

word i've heard is that it's not about to be shut down, but will instead become a free paper.

Personally, I can't see how that's going to work well for them. Free is only likely to work, I think, if it was distributed to almost all venues, and i don't reckon they've got the distribution network to do that. I don't reckon it'll be too popular even when free in normal newsagents.

It'd be nice if a free version regained that 'fanzine' quality NME used to retain

Highly unlikely - if there's any truth to the line "It is thought that there have been talks with retailers such as Topshop and Urban Outfitters about possible partnerships" then it's more likely to turn into a freebie that sits at the tills and is full of advertisments to ecourage people to buy the sort of clothes they sell in those establishments.

I still check nmedotcom every few days (even though a lot of the 'stories' gnaw away at my soul) but I haven't bought NME for a good 10 years, it just doesn't seem to carry any weight any more. Nothing of interest really other than gig info and new bands that you can find plenty of other places (and for free). The advance of technology hasn't helped; I remember one of my favourite parts was the discography section where they picked a band and listed their relases with format details, label information, cat numbers, etc as well as a bio of the band. Back then it was really interesting because that kind of information wasn't readily available, nowadays it's just a couple of clicks on wikipedia away. They also did a music version of fantasy football a couple of times - one year I had members of Elastica, Oasis, the Bluetones, Supergrass and Shed Seven - that was good fun. But as people have said there isn't enough identity to the magazine/writers or willingness to give them time (probably because the public would affordn't the time either) to let writers build up a reputation and loyal fanbase. Keith Cameron was one of the reasons I bought NME, and although I remember fucking hating Steven Wells at least he had an identity (that of a massive c**t).

It's done well to survive though, I always preferred Melody Maker and I remember when that was on it's last legs IPC used it as a guinea pig, turning into a glossy indie Smash Hits. It failed and died, which it would have done anyway, but a year later they came back with lessons learned and turned NME into the same thing.

Edited by mrtourette

NME is great when you're 16 or 17, start really getting into music and before you head off to your first year at college. Then, like the books of Steinbeck, drinking alcopops and fingering in bus stops, you leave it behind and look back on it with fondness but also a hint of derision and embarasment.

Its been like that for at least 30 years, i reckon.

That's not to knock it, it can be a lifesaver for an adolescent in a small, dull town.

Nailed it!!

Look back on it on fondly during my sixth form years, but as I got to uni I gradually grew out of buying it and couple of years ago I even pretty much gave up on the website to, think it was over something over particular article grating on me. (I still have it liked on facebook and will read something if it catches my eye or someone posts link, but I won't go to the home page and look for stories.)

So, the NME sucks generally...but have an awards ceremony that better reflects modern DECENT IMPORTANT music than any other on the planet...

Well it reflects a slightly more alternative take and if you are into slightly less mainstream (Read indie acts) then it hits the right stuff.

Think the awards have slightly more trust in them as they do the votes/its paid for by the NME rather than record industry. (Could be widly wrong and the record industry itself pays for it :P)

Not sure how it would do as a freebie, I'd guess the quality would deterieate further and it would just become an advertisement booklet.

That said I'd like it to become decent again, something you can rely on to point you in the right direction when you fancy something new to listen to or want to read opinions.

NME is great when you're 16 or 17, start really getting into music and before you head off to your first year at college. Then, like the books of Steinbeck, drinking alcopops and fingering in bus stops, you leave it behind and look back on it with fondness but also a hint of derision and embarasment.

Its been like that for at least 30 years, i reckon.

That's not to knock it, it can be a lifesaver for an adolescent in a small, dull town.

fingering in Bus stops would make a crackin band name

Was I the only one in the '90's reading Melody Maker?

No. Hi!

The work experience I did (not a fuckin accolade or boast by the way...i was just a sad teenage fan boy) coincided with Steve Sutherland's defection from MM to NME.

They were a floor apart at Kings Reach Tower and there were abusiveanti-Sutherland messages posted in the lift.

He didn't seem to give a shit, tbf, was a Saints fan and - i think - had a pic of Matt Le Tiss on his editors office door.

Last great writer was Swells. And that was a long time ago.

Loved Swells. No idea what he was on about.

I last bought NME in 2004, when they were championing The Others as the next big thing... And slowly ripping The Twang apart, after being their biggest fan boys for 6 months.

I wish there was a better outlet for emerging music... Uncut, Q and Mojo covers seem to have Dylan, Coldplay, U2 and Nirvana on rotation...

A mate of a mate works for the publishers and got me cheap subscriptions. I cancelled it the other week though, so feel partially responsible for their current predicament.

I came to the conclusion that the best bits were the reprints of old interviews. All the interviews with people coming through now and in the last few years are boring beyond belief.