Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

2009 and 2013 got it right. If it's going to rain make it not when people are setting up, nor when the music is on. Both years it had basically no impact on my enjoyment of the festival as there was undercover fun to be had while it lasted and the ground cleared up quickly over the following day.

2011 is the only year that the weather has come close to getting the better of me. I was on crutches and that Friday was hard work, when the weather perked up Saturday I was absolutely made up.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 and 2013 got it right. If it's going to rain make it not when people are setting up, nor when the music is on. Both years it had basically no impact on my enjoyment of the festival as there was undercover fun to be had while it lasted and the ground cleared up quickly over the following day.

2011 is the only year that the weather has come close to getting the better of me. I was on crutches and that Friday was hard work, when the weather perked up Saturday I was absolutely made up.

the 3 hour splash about on thursday afternoon in 2013 was great. sun out by the evening and then flip flops back on for friday morning.

A lot of human warmth is generated in muggy conditions, which made the Thursday in 2013 pretty special for me. The Dunkirk spirit, if you will.

Even last year I'd probably rate my hour-long wait in the queue for Block 9 in the hail as a highlight! Certainly added ice to our cocktails.

I'd put 2014 as an average year for wet/muddiness. 97,98, and worst of all 2007. 2011 was the only time I remember ( out of 16) that it rained going in on weds and while putting up tents. 2005 freak storm overnight on Thursday / Friday am caused flooding but it was actually hot and sunny for the rest of the time.

2011 was the only time I remember ( out of 16) that it rained going in on weds and while putting up tents.

Depends what time people arrived of course, but there was a few showers (and a lot of wind) on the Wednesday in 2004. Didn't affect the site too badly though, and from what I remember it stayed reasonably dry the rest of the festival until it started up again on Sunday during the headliners.

That it pissed down heavily with regularity in the weeks running up to 2011 was a bigger issue than the rain on the Wed and Fri, I reckon. I remember the Worthy FM videos showing things looking pretty waterlogged the days before the festival.

Oh my goodness, The Nal. Those photos are horrific. Worst case scenario, right there.

That's not worst case at all!

glastonbury-mud-06.jpg

Glastonbury_2005_River_Through_Tent.jpg

_44545860_pa_glasto_tents416.jpg

That's more like it. Anything better than 07 (or 05 if you were in the line of fire) is a win, just pray for no rain at all

Was it muddy last year? I really can't remember, must have had a good time instead.

I don't remember it being too bad. Although when it completely dried up silver hayes was a bit of a nightmare. The ground was bumpy and seen a few people go over on there ankles

Depends what time people arrived of course, but there was a few showers (and a lot of wind) on the Wednesday in 2004. Didn't affect the site too badly though, and from what I remember it stayed reasonably dry the rest of the festival until it started up again on Sunday during the headliners.

2004 is the only year I haven't managed to get a ticket since 1995 other than 2008 when I was out of the country but could've got tickets. I put that one down to the 2007 mud bath. I am optimistically calling it as a dry year this year - we are due one!

Worst festival weather I have experienced was at Bestival, 2011 or 2012 can't quite remember but it was the year the Cure Headlined. On the Sunday night there was a full on hurricane, our tent got completely flattened on us in the night, I have some ridiculous pics and videos of tents flying about and hedgerows full of them. So lucky it was the Sunday and not any other night otherwise half the festival would have had to go home. Wasn't at creamfields the year it got cancelled halfway through but I remember reading that story going around about the guy who bought a fake ticket etc and that must have been pretty grim.

This year I have resigned myself to the fact it WILL rain at some point, as long as it isn't continuos weekend long rain then I'll be happy, on that other thread linked on here somebody mentioned in June in Glastonbury it rains on average 8 days so the odds are always that it will rain but not for the whole weekend.

Worst festival weather I have experienced was at Bestival, 2011 or 2012 can't quite remember but it was the year the Cure Headlined. On the Sunday night there was a full on hurricane, our tent got completely flattened on us in the night, I have some ridiculous pics and videos of tents flying about and hedgerows full of them. So lucky it was the Sunday and not any other night otherwise half the festival would have had to go home. Wasn't at creamfields the year it got cancelled halfway through but I remember reading that story going around about the guy who bought a fake ticket etc and that must have been pretty grim.

This year I have resigned myself to the fact it WILL rain at some point, as long as it isn't continuos weekend long rain then I'll be happy, on that other thread linked on here somebody mentioned in June in Glastonbury it rains on average 8 days so the odds are always that it will rain but not for the whole weekend.

Must have been 2011, as I went in 2012 and the weather was glorious sunshine all weekend!

Leeds 2013 was the worst I've ever had to deal with, apocalyptic from Thursday to Saturday pretty much.

Yeah remember that yeah luckily stayed at hotel but christ the rain didn't stop all weekend and that epic storm on Thursday must have broken a few folk!!

For me camping wise V 2008 was worse as whole site became knee deep mud soup, tent just about survived lol

Do think last year was a bit brutal when it rained but least it wasn't all the time so wasn't too bad :)

Think this was 2011. Worst weather I have ever seen at a festival. Huge hurricane/thunderstorm for about 3 hours that night. When I woke up in the morning at least half the tents had been ripped out of the ground and blown all across the camping ground into the walls/bushes enclosing the area.