Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

Heavy Friday rain was annoying. Spoiled Alabama Shakes for me, though when it came back again during Wolf Alice I just thought fuck it, and ended up enjoying one of the sets of the weekend.

Thursday and Saturday were glorious

This :) , got a good soaking during Alabama shakes, really wanted to see them closer up but the size of the crowd meant we stood at the back, spoilt the gig for me, also during Wolf Alice, I took a poncho and went to the toilet just as they started leaving said poncho with my brother and it pissed down on my way back to the stage and got a royal soaking, after that I was soggy through and even the late day sun didn't dry my out completely. I watched Sharon van Etton and then the evening cold came and I was shivering cold, had to miss SFA to go back to Kidney mead and get dry cloths, the only real pisser of the fest for me. Great weather year aside from that.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mean website forecast on the tuesday before the festival was 4mm, and the actual rainfall was....4mm! 

If you separate out the days, the forecasted mean was around 2mm for the friday and around 2mm for the sunday, which is what we got.

So the websites (averaged out), got it bang on.

Edited by pedmills

Friday night was reallly cold. Apart from that the weather was great and I would keep the friday rain because the Mary J Blige/pyramid downpoor was kinda special.

Friday nights cold made me miss SFA due to being soaked through from Wolf Alice. As I wanted to stay and watch Sharon van Etton I didn't want to all the way back to Kidney Mead and back :(

Was that really only 2mm on the Friday? I'd be bloody surprised.

There's not a fucking hope in hell that was only 2mm, it was absolutely battering down during Alabama Shakes and pre Motörhead

J10 forecast 1-3 mm for the whole festival so he was wrong again. I reckon more than 4mm fell on Friday alone.

J10 forecast 1-3 mm for the whole festival so he was wrong again. I reckon more than 4mm fell on Friday alone.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge and determination that JackOne is wrong and pointless, but in my experience having a rain gauge out is full of surprises. You get a lot less than you think in a heavy shower.

If a drop is 4mm - a pretty hefty drop - then you'd need 62500 of them to fall in a square meter to get 4mm of rainfall. I've learnt to just check the gauge - human instinct seems better at telling when it's going to soak you than how much there is.

Hmmm, I get the impression Friday was very localised. I know Bristol is ages away in comparison to Yeovil or wherever, but from Bristol I was told 'we had nothing like that rain on Friday.' 

EDIT: I forgot about the shower I was in Leftfield for as well, I'd imagine it was over 2mm on site. 

Edited by GlastoSimon

I'll bow to your superior knowledge and determination that JackOne is wrong and pointless, but in my experience having a rain gauge out is full of surprises. You get a lot less than you think in a heavy shower.

If a drop is 4mm - a pretty hefty drop - then you'd need 62500 of them to fall in a square meter to get 4mm of rainfall. I've learnt to just check the gauge - human instinct seems better at telling when it's going to soak you than how much there is.

Thank you for that. I must remember to pack a rain gauge next year :)

Just to remind you, J10's last blog forecast this for Friday -

As has been suggested for a number of days turning a little more unsettled with some rain edging in during the morning and this continuing through the afternoon. However not likely to be that heavy, but enough to wet the ground. 2mm currently suggested. Sunshine is set to be very limited, with temps high teens/low 20s.

I'm afraid more that 2mm fell on Friday otherwise the site wouldn't have been so muddy. He also said -

Ground Conditions

Currently not many problems at all, the rain on Friday and perhaps Sunday may dampen the ground a little, and some prone spots may see some mud, but no huge problems are currently expected.

I think you would agree that the ground was a little more than damp but never mind, I'm sure J10 will still around next year. Maybe he'll get it right then.

Thank you for that. I must remember to pack a rain gauge next year :)

Just to remind you, J10's last blog forecast this for Friday -

As has been suggested for a number of days turning a little more unsettled with some rain edging in during the morning and this continuing through the afternoon. However not likely to be that heavy, but enough to wet the ground. 2mm currently suggested. Sunshine is set to be very limited, with temps high teens/low 20s.

I'm afraid more that 2mm fell on Friday otherwise the site wouldn't have been so muddy. He also said -

Ground Conditions

Currently not many problems at all, the rain on Friday and perhaps Sunday may dampen the ground a little, and some prone spots may see some mud, but no huge problems are currently expected.

I think you would agree that the ground was a little more than damp but never mind, I'm sure J10 will still around next year. Maybe he'll get it right then.

Are you confusing weather forecasting with clairvoyancy?

I thought J10 post's were well thought out and very helpful.

Are you confusing weather forecasting with clairvoyancy?

I thought J10 post's were well thought out and very helpful.

There's really not much difference when J10 is concerned to be honest. He's not much more than a weather hack in my opinion. However, I also realise that some regard him almost as the Dalai Lama of weather forecasting which is fine, but I suggest his results don't back this up.

Edited by Ommadawn

I was at the Glkade waiting for Dub Pistols when the rain started and loads of people ran fromthe Other to get shelter - I loved their faces when  the Pistols started as loads had no idea who they were or what was about to happen.

Priceless - and the DP's now have loads of new fans.

The only annoying thing was those of us that couldn't get under the shelter for Dub Pistols were stuck outside with faces looking towards us waiting for the rain to stop...sigh...

There's really not much difference when J10 is concerned to be honest. He's not much more than a weather hack in my opinion. However, I also realise that some regard him almost as the Dalai Lama of weather forecasting which is fine, but I suggest his results don't back this up.

He's just someone helping out by giving his interpretation of the weather charts, and many of us enjoy reading his posts in the run up to Glastonbury - I don't think anyone thinks his forecasts are the be all and end all. .

"As has been suggested for a number of days turning a little more unsettled with some rain edging in during the morning and this continuing through the afternoon. However not likely to be that heavy, but enough to wet the ground. 2mm currently suggested. Sunshine is set to be very limited, with temps high teens/low 20s."

Ground Conditions 

This was pretty close to what we got?  :girlimpossible: