Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

There's really not much difference when J10 is concerned to be honest. He's not much more than a weather hack in my opinion. However, I also realise that some regard him almost as the Dalai Lama of weather forecasting which is fine, but I suggest his results don't back this up.

It's impossible to predict the exact weather condition in an exact tiny location including rainfall to the exact mm, j10 and most other forecasters did a pretty good job of predicting the overall conditions of each day at the festival well enough for me to prepare adequately for each day of the festival when leaving the my tent and for leaving home with the right amounts and types of clothing. I think that's pretty cool myself but yeah 'it's all bollocks innit all this science'*

*thought communicated to potentially 60% of a planets population by touching a piece of glass

Edited by fur_q

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you would agree that the ground was a little more than damp but never mind, I'm sure J10 will still around next year. Maybe he'll get it right then.

The rain on friday did cause a bit of mud which rapidly disappeared saturday morning and the rain on sunday didn't seem to affect the ground at all

I rolled up my sleeves, was wearing shorts and stuck a poundland poncho on, water ran right off the arms and legs and by RTJ the poncho was tucked back away in my bag and every inch of me was bone dry. I cannot speak highly enough of your cheap as chips emergency poncho, took all the hassle out of the rain for me.

After 7 years I'm a convert too. They are complete waterproof. No seams or week spots and then as well the fold up small and even keep you warm as totally not breathable. I could even put my arms in side and use my phone without getting wet hands!

Thank you for that. I must remember to pack a rain gauge next year :)

Just to remind you, J10's last blog forecast this for Friday -

As has been suggested for a number of days turning a little more unsettled with some rain edging in during the morning and this continuing through the afternoon. However not likely to be that heavy, but enough to wet the ground. 2mm currently suggested. Sunshine is set to be very limited, with temps high teens/low 20s.

I'm afraid more that 2mm fell on Friday otherwise the site wouldn't have been so muddy. He also said -

Ground Conditions

Currently not many problems at all, the rain on Friday and perhaps Sunday may dampen the ground a little, and some prone spots may see some mud, but no huge problems are currently expected.

I think you would agree that the ground was a little more than damp but never mind, I'm sure J10 will still around next year. Maybe he'll get it right then.

You appear to be in some way unable to understand the meaning of "2mm currently suggested." - he's telling us that is what is currently being suggested.

That's all. He's not claiming, and noone is thinking he's giving cast iron guarantees of what's to come.

Apart from you, though I'm increasingly getting the impression you either like getting your mard on or are a troll, because it's not hard to understand stuff.

Or are you saving up for "oh that pedmills is just a stupid spreadsheet, who cares who he is it's just maths. dunno why anyone thanks him for his so-called efforts"

ps. he was bang on ground conditions. had butt on ground every day.

Edited by frostypaw

Oh dear. Here we go again. I'm typing this slowly so you'll understand.

J10 suggested that 2mm of rain would fall and over 4mm did fall (double his suggestion) - therefore his suggestion was wrong. I'm not saying his was any better or worse than the other forecasters just that he doesn't deserve the adoration you in particular appear to have for him.

At no time have I criticised Pedmills and I'd rather you didn't put untrue words in my mouth just to try to prove your point. That smacks of desperation.

I also had my 'butt' on the ground every day but on Friday it was between a layer of plastic sheeting laid on top of the mud. How you can defend J10's 'suggestion' that the ground would likely be just damp is quite beyond me I'm afraid as vast areas were muddy with no grass showing at all. That's rather more than damp in my book but obviously not yours.

Hmmm, I get the impression Friday was very localised. I know Bristol is ages away in comparison to Yeovil or wherever, but from Bristol I was told 'we had nothing like that rain on Friday.' 

EDIT: I forgot about the shower I was in Leftfield for as well, I'd imagine it was over 2mm on site.

We didn't, on the radar it was a very localised burst that could have gone anywhere but unfortunately went slap bang over the festival site!

Oh dear. Here we go again. I'm typing this slowly so you'll understand.

J10 suggested that 2mm of rain would fall and over 4mm did fall (double his suggestion) - therefore his suggestion was wrong. I'm not saying his was any better or worse than the other forecasters just that he doesn't deserve the adoration you in particular appear to have for him.

At no time have I criticised Pedmills and I'd rather you didn't put untrue words in my mouth just to try to prove your point. That smacks of desperation.

I also had my 'butt' on the ground every day but on Friday it was between a layer of plastic sheeting laid on top of the mud. How you can defend J10's 'suggestion' that the ground would likely be just damp is quite beyond me I'm afraid as vast areas were muddy with no grass showing at all. That's rather more than damp in my book but obviously not yours.

You can patronise all you like fella, but your critique of Jackone is no more valid than my suggested one for you attacking someone else who's trying to help - just saving you some time.

You seem to be mistaking me saying Thankyou as adoration - that's gratefulness. Check it out could be exciting for you

Edited by frostypaw

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking back, Glastonbury weekend was pretty much the best part of the summer this year, it stayed nice a few days after while I was off work and seems to have been dogshit ever since.  There have been a few years like this lately, I reckon we dodged a bullet (and still have a wicked wristband tanline).

Thank you weather gods, you did us alright.

my boss is currently at WOMAD - he arrived on Friday and text me saying it was hammering it down and they couldn't pitch their tent.

Personally, I wasn't hindered almost at all by the rain this year. I got a bit wet walking around during the first shower (nothing I couldn't handle with poncho assistance) then changed into my waterproof for the rest of the day. Rain stopped as soon as Motorhead came on which was great and the Sunday showers were almost not worth mentioning.

Would take THAT every year

Thinking back, Glastonbury weekend was pretty much the best part of the summer this year, it stayed nice a few days after while I was off work and seems to have been dogshit ever since.  There have been a few years like this lately, I reckon we dodged a bullet (and still have a wicked wristband tanline).

Thank you weather gods, you did us alright.

Yeah...agree with this. It was near perfect really. Just the right amount of weather.

Charm x

Do other festivals or festival forums get this worked up about the weather?

I mean I suspect there are plenty of individuals who do but has anyone seen this level or organised weather watching elsewhere?

Just thinking as I keep an eye on the weather for boomtown...

my boss is currently at WOMAD - he arrived on Friday and text me saying it was hammering it down and they couldn't pitch their tent.

Personally, I wasn't hindered almost at all by the rain this year. I got a bit wet walking around during the first shower (nothing I couldn't handle with poncho assistance) then changed into my waterproof for the rest of the day. Rain stopped as soon as Motorhead came on which was great and the Sunday showers were almost not worth mentioning.

Would take THAT every year

Did it rain on the Sunday? I don't recall any.

Did it rain on the Sunday? I don't recall any.

Never actually saw rain on Sunday but think I heard it when snuggling down to sleep in the morning time, saw pics of it raining on the Dalai Lama when he was in Kings Meadow too.

Charm x

• 4 months later...

My niece's husband's mother (if you follow that) has come over from South Africa to visit for Christmas.  Since she arrived in South Wales it has persisted down with rain.  "Much nicer than South Africa," she said.  "It was 40 degrees over there.  Much too hot."

Each to their own.

19 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

My niece's husband's mother (if you follow that) has come over from South Africa to visit for Christmas.  Since she arrived in South Wales it has persisted down with rain.  "Much nicer than South Africa," she said.  "It was 40 degrees over there.  Much too hot."

Each to their own.

It appears the 'keep the dust down' people exist in real life too.