Let's get rid of the spam!

mr gumby

Nobody forces you to read the thread. Why such disdain for it?

Personally, I have no issues with the thread whatsoever.

However, I think some people find it cliquey and dislike it for that reason.

Other people have said they find the silliness of it irritating.

Not my views, just answering your question yog

Are we at a stage where every comment made has to be justified ?

Look - sort your life out mate. The NFR NFC thread has done a lot for this forum. It may consist of a small clique who consider it normal to berate other threads but nail themselves to crucifixes when their worth is doubted, but I for one am fascinated to read that 'Its slightly drizzly in Swindon' every morning. You may regard that thread as a turd that won't flush, but just don't say it, okay?

Carry on everyone.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

Personally, I have no issues with the thread whatsoever.

However, I think some people find it cliquey and dislike it for that reason.

Other people have said they find the silliness of it irritating.

Not my views, just answering your question yog

The thing is the thread is only kind of cliquey because nobody else joins in. To me it's a kind of open ended thread where you can say anything. It's less restricted than some threads - not that their restrictions really work on me. lol

I guess it is irritating on one level. I would advocate more people joining in to water this down.

Thanks for responding positively russy, it's appreciated.

Look - sort your life out mate. The NFR NFC thread has done a lot for this forum. It may consist of a small clique who consider it normal to berate other threads but nail themselves to crucifixes when their worth is doubted, but I for one am fascinated to read that 'Its slightly drizzly in Swindon' every morning. You may regard that thread as a turd that won't flush, but just don't say it, okay?

Carry on everyone.

If it offends you that much why do you read the thread?

Was that question aimed at me or at your 'mates' in the NFR NFC thread using, for example, the c-word, to describe people posting in the Taylor Swift/Weather/Rumours etc. threads?

The question was, to my mind, evidently aimed at you. I have no knowledge of the other threads that you mention because I don't access them (apart from a couple of times many moons ago on the weather thread). I can only assume that they are using the c -word in jest. Are they not?

As a regular on the NFR thread I can say the following:

I have never used the C-word and do not recall seeing it used there though I may be wrong

It is not a clique, just ask those who have arrived as newbies to the fun and friendly thread who are welcomed, any one is welcomed.

It is a bit of fun, though don't tell that to the weather gods.

I find the stupidity on the headliner thread annoying but choose to either ignore it or join in.

Come over and see how you are welcomed, the world has enough crap in it so don't make more out of nothing. You never know, like some, you may even benefit from it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Matty's post represents a better approach, PR-wise, but I'd give up on the 'not a clique' line. Message boards have been around for long enough for us to have become well-versed in their ways: we all know that the emergence of cliques is inevitable. A clique may well be friendly, but it has 'norms ': adhere to them and you're 'in'; don't and you're 'out.' You've got 300-plus pages of norms being religiously observed on here.

Although it's not my thing, I bear no ill-will to the NFR NFC thread, except when a lack of give and take is shown. Despite the routine demonisation of other threads (and no 'Top Gear Defence' please, lest I start quoting some of the definitely-not-joking posts) people tend to leave the NFR NFC group to their own devices. Conversely, when, like now, people fire off a few keyboard mortars at them, they start nailing themselves to crosses.

It clearly is a clique. An unfunny one at that.

According to thefreedictionary.com:

"A small exclusive group of friends or associates."

Nothing exclusive about it. Come in, be nice. You'll receive nothing but a friendly welcome in return.

And who said anyone was even trying to be funny?

• Upvote 1

I suspect I'm not alone in being tired of people starting threads that are nothing to do with Glastonbury. Recently it's been someone complaining about being alone with no friends, but before that there were shit kitchens, fake passports etc. etc.

I'd like to suggest that any regular posters on this forum willing to volunteer, put their names forward to be considered by Neil and Scottie as potential assistant moderators. If there are several people able to delete threads that are irrelevant to the forum, maybe people might be discouraged from posting crap. Of course, Neil and Scottie would be able to check that no-one abused the privilege. I'd be happy to volunteer myself.

Obviously I don't want to dictate how the forum is run, and if Neil and Scottie say no to the idea, that's their call, but I'm just putting the idea out there.

You are wrong. Glastonbury is is all about randomers talking bollox to each other, If this board reflects even a little of that, it's a good thing. I for one wouldn't be here if it was all just headliner threads, yawn.

You are wrong. Glastonbury is is all about randomers talking bollox to each other, If this board reflects even a little of that, it's a good thing. I for one wouldn't be here if it was all just headliner threads, yawn.

I've got no issue with people talking bollocks, and a bit of off-topic banter, no problem at all! But this ranting poster keeps filling this forum with multiple threads with just the same rant. That makes it difficult for users who are genuinely wanting to chat about the festival to use the forum, and creates extra work for Neil and Scottie, who have to clear it up.

• Upvote 1

I'll cop to the clique accusation. I used to find it a bit annoying, before I was a member! Perhaps the word clique is too loaded a term, but it is a social group, with members and norms. And if you're not a member, that can be a bit daunting - even if anyone who tries to join in is welcomed with open arms.

As for the bitching on other threads, I think that's also fair. I've probably find it myself, although I'm aware that it's not cool and I try not to.

I admit it's unlike other threads, as it's more of a social group, where the 'topic' is the people who frequent it, rather than anything in the subject. That alone creates a barrier to entry, as anyone can learn about Taylor Swift or Nick Cave independent of this forum and join in on an equal footing to the existing members.

The thing is, for the members, it's really valuable. Friends have been made, emotional support has been given. It's helped me maintain contact with probably the oldest friend I have (from real life and everything) and has generally been a pleasant place *for us* to hang out on. We're all united by a love for Glastonbury and music in general, but I understand if some feel it's inappropriate.

If there's anything we can do to make it feel less cliquey, then let us know. As far as I'm concerned, if someone else feels that's it's an exclusive clique, then I'm interested in doing whatever's possible to stop that feeling. After all, it's a two way thing.

Peace

• Upvote 4