zero000

2 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Cracking game that - fair play to the Welsh. 

Nervous about tomorrow now, and it's been a very very very long time since i felt that for a Calcutta Cup match played at Twickenham. 

Your team may be shite, but they are very very good at winning.

I'd love to see us trying Italian tactics, just at the first ruck, just for sheer comedy value.

• Upvote 1

On 08/03/2017 at 6:21 PM, zero000 said:

Wales name an unchanged team after last weeks drubbing by Scotland. Ireland are going to flatten us.

Well I was wrong.

Great performance by England, but Scotland didn't turn up and were absolutely ravaged by injuries.

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Fraser Brown should be getting short shift from his teammates tonight. 

The tackle may have been "over-enthusiastic" but there was no malice in it. I'm not arguing with the card but the rules in rugby are such now that if you tackle hard sometimes you will fall foul of the laws and theese guys are bound to be "pumped up" at the start of the game. 

Fair play though, England turned up for the first time in the 6 nations and no one coudl argue with their victory.

5 hours ago, LJS said:

The tackle may have been "over-enthusiastic" but there was no malice in it. I'm not arguing with the card but the rules in rugby are such now that if you tackle hard sometimes you will fall foul of the laws and theese guys are bound to be "pumped up" at the start of the game.

The spear tackle has always been a dangerous tackle. By the letter of the law these days it's a red, though I've no problem with the yellow as long as there's consistency. My issue with it was the sheer stupidity of it - Brown knew what he was doing, and he could have pulled out of it half way through had he been so inclined. He let his team mates down is the bottom line and Scotland never recovered. Daft. 

I think the final table isn't always a fair reflection of each teams respective merits - though this year i don't think it's the case. 

England comfortably the best side and certainly the most potent in attack, that's borne out.

France and Scotland both teams on an upward trajectory - Scotland finishing with a positive points difference must be the first time in a while? 

Wales, remain a team in transition. Haven't adapted as quickly as their home nation rivals and finding scoring (Halfpenny aside) a particularly problem. 

All in all, a very enjoyable competition. Roll on the Lions tour. 

• 5 weeks later...

Have to say not too impressed by the Lions squad.

Yes I am a Scotland fan but no didn't expect 10 or more Scots in it but only 2 and 12 Welsh is poor selection by Gatland

How Russell and at least 1 of the Grays didn't get selected is crazy

Just now, dondo said:

Have to say not too impressed by the Lions squad.

Yes I am a Scotland fan but no didn't expect 10 or more Scots in it but only 2 and 12 Welsh is poor selection by Gatland

How Russell and at least 1 of the Grays didn't get selected is crazy

Agree re one of the Grays, think it's a uninspiring squad and we'll set up to play dull rugby. I feel a bit like a balloon that's not been pricked but has a slow puncture....hoping to feel excited by the time the tour kicks off but can't see anything but a convincing whitewash. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

World Cup draw made. Good draw for all home nations bar England. Nasty group of death draw for them again...

Venue aspect of the draw looks good mind, plus we play the minnows first allowing the team to build up slowly rather than having to come out firing. Downside is the short turnaround times and having to play three very physical teams so early in France, Argentina, and Tonga. 

Georgia have improved, don't think the Welsh group is as simple as many will believe. 

9 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Georgia have improved, don't think the Welsh group is as simple as many will believe. 

Not simple, but one would very much take that group over Englands any day of the week. 

Also having the tough games against the Argies and the French just before the knockouts  may mean if England qualify for them they may be a bit battered and bruised (although can can see how that can work for as well as against) 

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Also having the tough games against the Argies and the French just before the knockouts  may mean if England qualify for them they may be a bit battered and bruised 

Swings and roundabouts. The pay off is England look likely to have an easy first knock out game against the Welsh as a reward....

4 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Swings and roundabouts. The pay off is England look likely to have an easy first knock out game against the Welsh as a reward....

:lol:

Think you gotta hope that you get out of the pool first before you crown England group toppers. And even if they do get out they will have to play a team they lost to at home in the last WC in either the Welsh or Ozzies.

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

:lol:

Think you gotta hope that you get out of the pool first before you crown England group toppers. And even if they do get out they will have to play a team they lost to at home in the last WC in either the Welsh or Ozzies.

It was said with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek, hence the ...

Perhaps I should have used a winky smiley