Boomtown Festival 2015

Paul ™

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't at Boomtown myself but did hear that security were a little heavy handed. Anyone who was there and wasn't happy with security might be interested in this,   

https://www.change.org/p/boomtown-fair-organisers-boomtown-fair-we-love-you-but-sort-your-security-out-for-chapter-8-and-beyond?recruiter=256374171&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Wasn't at Boomtown myself but did hear that security were a little heavy handed. Anyone who was there and wasn't happy with security might be interested in this,   

https://www.change.org/p/boomtown-fair-organisers-boomtown-fair-we-love-you-but-sort-your-security-out-for-chapter-8-and-beyond?recruiter=256374171&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

In my own experience security were much better this year than in previous years.

I didn't see a single person hassled by security this year, when I've seen a lot in previous years.

I also felt able to skin up within sight and smell of security this year (because I wasn't seeing anyone hassled), and on every occasion they clearly saw me and did nothing at all.

I did meet a few folk who were security warey and saying 'watch out', but at the same levels to previously.

I also know that different - lesser - instructions went out to security this year. Any over-action is likely to be the result of individuals who wanted to rob.

Nice pics! So many camera folk around this year it seemed - lots of expensive looking lenses for low light one assumes

Thanks (though I think did much better last year tbh due to one thing and another - mostly the other! :D ).

I thought there were fewer togs this year but I'm probably going just by how busy the stage pits were. Generally Boomtown doesn't appear to attract the hoardes of press that other fests of similar size do despite being a brilliant place to photograph.

It seems they hired in a lot of last minute help from people not used to that kind of event, and some too used to it perhaps and it's backfired with some real bad apples turning up. Certainly don't remember as much drama over security last year.

I started being very subtle with my skinning up after the folk in banghai/barrio loco were going from group to group searching bags, most seemed to be doing little more than skinning up/making rollies.

Either way there seems to have been enough upset that I think there'll be some changes, can only help

(though I think did much better last year tbh due to one thing and another - mostly the other! :D )

this made me laugh - i've put a video of Noisia on Banghai up on youtube and was being confused why it already has almost 6000 views - then I think back to what I saw and look at other videos and I think I might have been the only person sober enough to hold a camera still!

Boo.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review Sean, very similar to my experience there.  It's unlike other festivals I have been to as every one of your senses is constantly being stimulated like some three day crazy trip, but in amongst the madness there are still wonderful areas of (relative) calm.

• 4 weeks later...

After not getting glasto tickets this morning we are cheering ourselves up by looking for alternatives. Does anyone have experience of taking children to Boomtown or know if it is family friendly? I can see they have a kids field etc. but just thought people might have first hand experience.

Wouldn't recommend it myself - lot of people quite obviously on drugs.

Kids field might be ok though, not sure about that

Personally I wouldnt take a kid, though guess it depends on what age.

Seen a few this year, spoke to one couple who had a child about 3/4 year old, said they loved it.

There is a lot of drugs being done, but at a guess this is more focused on the Downtown areas and not Uptown (where kids field is).

Didn't go into the Kids area, but from what I've heard there is a quite a bit for them to do.

Could depend on your group too, perhaps if responsibilities were shared, you could perhaps enjoy it a bit more by getting Downtown at night when it's very busy/noisy 

Good luck anyway, it's a great festival and am deffo returning in 2016 

• 9 months later...