Bestival 2015 headline guesses

smogo

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highs: Duran Duran, Boy Better Know, Jurassic 5, Missy Elliot, Mr B's Kanye Diss, the blue Bestival hats you could buy with money going to charity,

Lows: lack of campsite stages, lack of fancy dress throughout, probably due to it being an uncreative theme to get involved with.

Was still absolutely amazing though as ever

Edited by Staff_Sav

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Spent half the week debating whether to go on such a limited budget. Ended up finally getting offered a ticket for 50 quid late on Thursday night. Packed my stuff and drove down early doors Friday. NO Queue for ferry which was such a relief. Parked in some little back street in Southampton.Walked into red jet port with my mouth at the floor, it was so quiet! Got to the site, pitched in pink on my own. Made some friends. Eventually found the guys I knew there. Had a blast, got messed up, met some really cool people. Left after missy and the fireworks to get the last bus to make the last ferry back. Heavens opened, slept in the car for a couple of hours and then drove home. Apart from the ferry and a rather expensive taxi back to my car in the pissing rain, I barely spent over the ticket RRP altogether. Had a blast.

Highlights - Pond (first band I made it to and they were brilliant) Jurassic 5 (handslap off akil running through the crowd at the end), jungle, missy e and future islands (got a handslap off Sam T and was given the set list!

Special shout to Paul chuckle for his dancing during Duke Dumont.

Best performance of the weekend goes to Tame Impala. Absolutely fantastic. Maybe the best things I've seen this year, was totally blown away.

Felt so subdued for chems, just didn't carry that same electricity as Glastonbury at all. Maybe it was because it was exactly the same set.

Best performance of the weekend goes to Tame Impala. Absolutely fantastic. Maybe the best things I've seen this year, was totally blown away.

i left Duran Duran early to catch Tame Impala but somehow managed to miss their entire set (i think... i can't really remember much between leaving Duran Duran and about 4 in the morning). pissed off with myself for that - will never get to see them in such an intimate venue again now that they're beginning to play arenas

Felt so subdued for chems, just didn't carry that same electricity as Glastonbury at all. Maybe it was because it was exactly the same set.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought this - i don't know what it was but it just never went off like it should. granted, i'd taken some LSD earlier that kind of fucked me up for a bit so i wasn't totally in the mood, but the crowd around me and my friends just didn't seem arsed at all - not like Glastonbury where every person in the crowd was going mental. probably because they were headlining the main stage and so a lot of people were just there regardless

also, although it didn't really hinder my enjoyment of the festival, the amount of dickheads seemed much larger than the last time i went in 2012. got a feeling a lot of people just saw it as one last chance to get horrendously fucked up and act like total bellends

i left Duran Duran early to catch Tame Impala but somehow managed to miss their entire set (i think... i can't really remember much between leaving Duran Duran and about 4 in the morning). pissed off with myself for that - will never get to see them in such an intimate venue again now that they're beginning to play arenas

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought this - i don't know what it was but it just never went off like it should. granted, i'd taken some LSD earlier that kind of fucked me up for a bit so i wasn't totally in the mood, but the crowd around me and my friends just didn't seem arsed at all - not like Glastonbury where every person in the crowd was going mental. probably because they were headlining the main stage and so a lot of people were just there regardless

also, although it didn't really hinder my enjoyment of the festival, the amount of dickheads seemed much larger than the last time i went in 2012. got a feeling a lot of people just saw it as one last chance to get horrendously fucked up and act like total bellends

I got that with the Chems too. No one around me seemed to be really into it. I must have changed spots at least four times.

Amount of dickheads had doubled from last year. To this day havent seen actual trouble at Bestival but i felt  a few times this year that there could have been.

Yea my memory is very hazy of Friday. Remember seeing hungry like the wolf for Duran Duran and then leaving satisfied (the main song I like by them). You weren't given any orange supermans were you? They hit me like a mule kick and was probably a factor in tame being so good. The next 3 hours are a blur. Walked round the woods for ages and went to the port for Seth troxler but that's all I can really remember

Totally agree on the chems, the crowd kept talking and I was also trying to come up and get going but I was getting distracted. As you say, there just wasn't that same energy in it. I was closer to the front at glasto too. Such a shame really as I was looking forward to it a lot, but just gradually kept drifting out of the crowd as the set went on.

There was a fair few nob heads this year but I actually met a lot of really nice people. More so maybe than previous years. Guess it's swings and roundabouts with who you encounter. Thought the security was a little heavy handed this year. Seemed to spend more time picking up gas canisters and banging on empty tents to find culprits than finding people responsible for tent thefts. That was what was happening in my campsite anyway. They all just seemed to keep congregating in big groups around a couple of bits of metal on the floor. If they'd gone to the port and looked on the floor they'd probably have gone into some sort of seizure!

Edited by mb'satglasto

Had a great weekend, didn't see a single act I wouldn't happily watch again, particular favourites were Underworld, J5 and The Jacksons. Only low point I can think of was missing Future Islands because I'd temporarily run out of steam. Plenty of people seemed to hate Dean Blunt but I got a kick out of the sheer weirdness of it. I also regret not making it to Bollywood once over the weekend, going to have to make a special effrot to make up for that next year.

As for The Chems, I enjoyed them but know some other peoplle who went who said their set was far too quiet. Apparently they were reasonably far back, but had been in the spot for Annie Mac and not had any issues. Don't know if that was a factor for anyone else

As for The Chems, I enjoyed them but know some other peoplle who went who said their set was far too quiet. Apparently they were reasonably far back, but had been in the spot for Annie Mac and not had any issues. Don't know if that was a factor for anyone else

yeah me and my friends were somewhat far back to begin with (having seen... somebody in the Big Top just before) and the sound was pretty bad, and the people around us were shite and talking throughout. we then made our way down to the front right (near the toilets) and it was much better there

although even though it was pretty much the same setlist as Glastonbury, something about it just fell a little flat to me - a lot of the songs just didn't seem to take off like they should. not sure if that's because i wasn't quite as fuckaroo'd as i was at Glastonbury or if the crowd participation was a lot less

Edited by FloorFiller

I don't think newbies realise that Saturday is supposed to be fancy dress day. Now that there's no longer a fancy dress parade on the Saturday afternoon, I'm not even sure that it is still supposed to be!

There was a parade Saturday afternoon. Pretty sure there was a later one too. I was working while it was on and kept hearing how they needed more stewards/security for it

Wow! Bestival is really starting to rival Glastonbury for alternative things to get stuck into during the day imo, obviously a lot less to do but enough for a day.

Loved it this year, camped with a great set of people & thought the music was enough for me to see all weekend.

Highlights:

Jamie XX - was not expecting to enjoy it at all

J5 - just brilliant

DJ Zinc - just a great night of fun on the stage in Temple Island

The Sunday Church Service - in Club DaDa, I was the guy on stage with the sea turtle story

Fred V & Grafix / High Contrast - D&B, lazers, theatrics, flames, a light sprinkling of rain, nice

Skrillex - the best I've ever seen him, even finishing on his Diplo/Bieber tune was a lot of fun

Plus the comedy during the rain on Sunday evening was brilliant with Kai Humpries, Dan Sloss & the Noise Next Door (anyone remember the girl who said her favourite hobby was Mandy???) & I managed to keep dry!

Areas... the Piano Bar wasn't great, The Port at night I had zero complaints (just would like it to be on level ground but that's just being far too picky, keep it as it is), Bollywood looked great at night but didn't spend much time there just as an easy route to The Port, Main Stage could have done with more decoration like a few years ago just for asthetics, Big Top was the same as always.

Rain/mud did not bother me one bit (didn't at Glastonbury either).

Monday was the site was disgusting though & my mates pram broke. Not the fests fault. Got trollied on the way home on leftover cans.

Couchy rating: 9.3/10

Not the best bestival for me in terms of line up and my own personal energy levels but still saw lots of good stuff, met nice people and had fun so no serious complaints. I'd echo the point about lack of action in the wishing tree field area apart from the carnivale place (comfy seats). Caravanserai was lovely saw some good acts there - chilling out to pink floyd tribute act there on sunday afternoon, just what the doctor ordered. Didn't see much on the mainstage. Le Bonn's voice is still good.

Other highlights  - Underworld, Arthur Brown, FKA Twigs, Roisin Murphy, Tame Impala,  Carnie Villains, Future Islands. Special mention to the Beef & Ale pie at the Hare & Hounds on Sunday.

I preferred the Invaders stage in it's old spot - used to catch a lot of stuff there just by walking past but didn't happen so much in the new spot. I was shocked when someone told me there was no bandstand this year, but the new kaleidosope stage was just as good, if not better.

Didn't notice any increase in knob-heads but there seemed to be load more corporate stuff this year - maybe just me.

First time I've bothered with the app but found it really usable and useful. Could have done without the alerts telling me my phone needed charging (when it didn't).

The only major low was getting there - not the fest's fault but not something I want to repeat and will have bearing on whether I go again - we'll see.

Oh and that blue camping is now hospitality - that was a disappointment.

The Sunday Church Service - in Club DaDa, I was the guy on stage with the sea turtle story

Was this around the same time as the Hillbilly Dance Off? We were in there for a good few hours following Dub Pistols on the main stage, lots of fun!

Edited by jackarmy

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed no one posted this as yet, http://www.channel4.com/programmes/bestival/on-demand/62011-001

a 47 minute programme of highlights from Bestival 2015.  There is also a 3 hr and 51 minutes of the RTE broadcast for Electric Picnic 2015 that had some of the artists on the Bestival bill.  Go for third set of links, faster download speed.  http://alivewarez.net/shows/499444-electric-picnic-2015-pdtv-x264-tvcuk.html

Edited by Frrrraaappp head