Album of the year?

Dog Burger

i think there was a straight month when it was all i was listening to. has a ridiculous amount of plays on my iTunes. i love the whole 90's emo revival thing and this album does it the perfectly for me

This 90's Emo revival is great for me as it not only brought about great acts again but it has allowed me to discover all of these 90's Emo bands that I missed like American Football and Cap'n Jazz.

I'd recommend Captain, We're Sinking as The Future Is Cancelled is near perfect for me and it has always had me coming back to it for around 3 months now (the closer is one the best songs I've heard), they have more punk influences but the emo elements are really clear though and Modern Baseball who are bit inconsistent when it comes to song writing but they do have some gems and their albums are worth a listen.

How was the gig last night? Wondering what sort of setlist to expect tomorrow.

The reliably wonderful Los Campesinos! delivered exactly the quality of set you'd expect from them.

Don't want to give you too many setlist spoilers, because taking it as it came was pretty thrilling. But I will say that you'll get the obvious slew of shoutalong bangers that they trade in, a couple of cheeky rarities, and something seasonal! They gave pretty much equal attention to each record, there's a revolving line-up of great songs, so some of the bangers that have been standard for the past few years weren't giving an airing, but there was one classic in particular which made a very welcome return... Avacado, Baby has joined You! Me! Dancing! and We Are Beautiful We Are Doomed as a real signature song, and rightly so.

This year. I have been mostly listening to:

Animals by Pink Floyd.

Ok I get that's not the point of this thread. But it's true.

People go on about DSOTM, WHWH, and The Wall, but Animals is a truly overlooked masterpiece of a work of art imo..

Particularly Dogs.

Animals by Pink Floyd.

People go on about DSOTM, WHWH, and The Wall, but Animals is a truly overlooked masterpiece of a work of art imo..

Particularly Dogs.

Nick Mason said recently it's one he would like to remaster as they were never 100% happy with the final edit (I agree it's really good, but there again I like The Final Cut too and I seem to be on my own with that one)

• Upvote 1

The reliably wonderful Los Campesinos! delivered exactly the quality of set you'd expect from them.

Don't want to give you too many setlist spoilers, because taking it as it came was pretty thrilling. But I will say that you'll get the obvious slew of shoutalong bangers that they trade in, a couple of cheeky rarities, and something seasonal! They gave pretty much equal attention to each record, there's a revolving line-up of great songs, so some of the bangers that have been standard for the past few years weren't giving an airing, but there was one classic in particular which made a very welcome return... Avacado, Baby has joined You! Me! Dancing! and We Are Beautiful We Are Doomed as a real signature song, and rightly so.

Absolutely love Los Campesinos! and they are very good live. Hoping they get to play next year too.

Edited by rumpola

Animals by Pink Floyd.

Particularly Dogs.

Bravo Ziggy!! As a very recent convert I couldn't agree more.

Sheep is the one for me tho. That big widescreen lick at the end. Mega! The Nal introduced me to this one in the last few months. By a mile their best record to these ears.

Edited by Wooderson
  • Upvote 1

Animals by Pink Floyd.

Particularly Dogs.

But I thought most people regarded Animals to be up there with DSOTM and WYWH?

Nick Mason said recently it's one he would like to remaster as they were never 100% happy with the final edit (I agree it's really good, but there again I like The Final Cut too and I seem to be on my own with that one)

I also love The Final Cut. I was there during The Cold War ;)

Bravo Ziggy!! As a very recent convert I couldn't agree more.

Sheep is the one for me tho. That big widescreen lick at the end. Mega! The Nal introduced me to this one in the last few months. By a mile their best record to these ears.

It is hard to pick a best track from it.

But I thought most people regarded Animals to be up there with DSOTM and WYWH?

I must have overlooked that it hadn't been overlooked.

Edit: Oh. And while I'm at it. Live In Pompeii (The Directors Cut (It has to be The Directors Cut)) is probably my most watched video this year. Nick Mason! Definition of Cool! He really should have kept that 'tache.

Edited by MrZigster

They played a blinder in Norwich last night. About as perfect a setlist as I could ask for, the crowd were loving every minute of it, the Arts Centre remains my favourite small venue and Gareth was kind enough to record a birthday message for my friend who couldn't make it when I met him at the merch stand afterwards.

My only minor gripe was that they asked the crowd to vote between Straight In at 101 or ...And We Exhale & Roll Our Eyes in Unison for the encore and us Exhale fans were massively outvoted. Even the band seemed a bit surprised.

They played a blinder in Norwich last night. About as perfect a setlist as I could ask for, the crowd were loving every minute of it, the Arts Centre remains my favourite small venue and Gareth was kind enough to record a birthday message for my friend who couldn't make it when I met him at the merch stand afterwards.

My only minor gripe was that they asked the crowd to vote between Straight In at 101 or ...And We Exhale & Roll Our Eyes in Unison for the encore and us Exhale fans were massively outvoted. Even the band seemed a bit surprised.

My mate said they did the voting by way of cheering in Leeds the other night for Death Rattle or I Just Sighed, they got Death Rattle. No voting in Manchester, it was a wholly Campesinos!-run affair. We got ...And We Exhale as the first song of the encore, my group were all utterly over the moon with that one. Would have liked to here Straight In At 101 as it's always brilliant live, but I don't think I've ever seen them do Exhale though, certainly not for at least 3 years, if at all. I heard they played This Is A Flag in Nottingham? Lucky buggers.They have so many brilliant songs, if it was physically possible for them to play a three-hour set without both the band and crowd dying of exhaustion, that would be ideal. As it stands, we're all mere mortals, and must instead go to watch them as often as we can to get our fill. Gareth is one of the coolest people in music, I also spoke to him at the merch stand beforehand and got some stuff signed. LC!4LYF etc.

• Upvote 1

Best album

Jenny Lewis - Voyager

Best single Natalie Merchant - Texas

Other shouts for albums

Real Estate - best opening line on a track this year - How might I live to betray you - the guitars on this album are outrageous.

Damon Albarn

War on Drugs

Black Keys

Late runner - Alvayys - listening to that constantly just now - going to see them in January.

My mate said they did the voting by way of cheering in Leeds the other night for Death Rattle or I Just Sighed, they got Death Rattle. No voting in Manchester, it was a wholly Campesinos!-run affair. We got ...And We Exhale as the first song of the encore, my group were all utterly over the moon with that one. Would have liked to here Straight In At 101 as it's always brilliant live, but I don't think I've ever seen them do Exhale though, certainly not for at least 3 years, if at all. I heard they played This Is A Flag in Nottingham? Lucky buggers.They have so many brilliant songs, if it was physically possible for them to play a three-hour set without both the band and crowd dying of exhaustion, that would be ideal. As it stands, we're all mere mortals, and must instead go to watch them as often as we can to get our fill. Gareth is one of the coolest people in music, I also spoke to him at the merch stand beforehand and got some stuff signed. LC!4LYF etc.

Yeah, they did the cheer vote in Norwich as well. We had to choose between ...And We Exhale and Straight in at 101, and between Death Rattle and something else that I can't remember (Death Rattle won). Then we got I Just Sighed anyway. They've got enough great songs that they can pull stunts like that and still satisfy everyone.

(On another note, I was thinking of starting a Los Campesinos! thread, but I quite like they way us LC! fans lurk within other threads and occasionally occupy them with our obsessive love.)

Best album

Jenny Lewis - Voyager

Best single Natalie Merchant - Texas

Other shouts for albums

Real Estate - best opening line on a track this year - How might I live to betray you - the guitars on this album are outrageous.

Damon Albarn

War on Drugs

Black Keys

Late runner - Alvayys - listening to that constantly just now - going to see them in January.

I cannot get my head around the love for the Damon Albarn record. It's the first album of his that I've actively disliked. I'm not sure if it was the production or the songs themselves but it just sounds so souless.