Album of the year?

Dog Burger

Pinata is very well executed, but I just feel like I've heard it all before, musically and thematically. RTJ2 sounds like nothing else I can think of, it pays homage to some of the greats of hip hop but also feels incredibly modern and zeitgeisty. Easy sounds a little more horrifying every time there's a new report from Ferguson and Love Again is a brilliant subversion of hip hop's sleazily misogynistic side. I personally think it's a much smarter, angrier and more original album than Pinata.

I agree with a lot of what youre saying and am not denying that RTJ2 is as brilliant as it is unique but I simply prefer listening to Pinata. Whilst it can be argued that RTJ2 is a better album in all the ways you described, for me personally Pinata is the album that I listen to more and get more enjoyment out of. It may not be as ground breaking as RTJ2 but Pinata has all the style of the types of hip hop albums I love. Also for me, Madlib's beats cant be beaten.

Oof! Forgot about the Col Mustard album, has loads of good tunes. Great artwork too.

Saw them at Wickerman and Kelburn Garden Party this year. Scenes :)

Half full tent at Wickerman and a few stunned onlookers at the entrance watching the " dance off ". Yer man shouted to them to move into the tent as the masses were due to arrive at any second and he was worried about crowd safety. He said " we`ve learned the lessons of Beatle mania " :lol:

Need to think more about my list for this year and my hangover is not going well with clear thinking!

What's everyone's single of the year? In my (admittedly) foggy mind, I can't see part Can't do without you. What a belter.

Boom Clap! or Fancy, it's Charli XCX either way, she makes pop songs like nobody else.

I know it hasn't been out for long, but no mention of TV on the Radio-Seeds yet? Shame on you all.

Might have to give Run The Jewels a go though.

It was labelled as a bit meh on here by people whose opinion I value so I gave it a wide berth. Is it worth a look then?

Can't believe I'm the only one voting for Gruff.

Just finished writing up our albums of the year at work, so I thought I'd ask in here, too. What was your favourite? Don't think it was a vintage year, but I've certainly made some new discoveries. My winner would be Are We There by Sharon Van Etten by a short head from Turn Blue by The Black Keys, who I've never had much time for in the past. Love that album, though. War On Drugs also worthy of a mention....What about you?

BTW, thanks for the heads up for sharon von etten, bit depressing(to untrained ears) dirge type stuff, bloody excellent, and right up my alley, will really piss off the missus with this, as if peej and Shakey weren't enough
  • Upvote 1

Not sure about favourite 'single' as I rarely follow what's released in that format, but in terms of songs, probably something from that Neneh Cherry album. Out Of The Black or Dossier. Seriously, check it out. It's produced by Four Tet, if that interests anyone.

Edited by bocumaroy

It was labelled as a bit meh on here by people whose opinion I value so I gave it a wide berth. Is it worth a look then?

Can't believe I'm the only one voting for Gruff.

It seems a lot mellower than their earlier stuff (apart from the last couple of tunes) but I like it a lot. Maybe not as good as Dear Science but still very good.

The Xcerts - There Is Only You
Mastodon - One More Round The Sun

DFA1979 - The Physical World
Twin Atlantic - Great Divide
Kaiser Chiefs - Education, Education, Education & War
Fatherson - I Am An Island

Royal Blood - Royal Blood

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots
The Twilight Sad - Nobody Wants To Be Here & Nobody Wants To Leave

Kasabian - 48:13

Probably my top 10, in no particular order. Thought The Xcerts' album is by far and away my number one.

Edited by harryomatic

tUnE-yArDs - Nikki Nack

The Antlers - Familiars

Caribou - Our Love

Electric Youth - Innerworld

The Correspondents - Puppet Loosely Strung

The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Broken Bells - After the Disco

Metronomy - Love Letters

Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Warpaint - Warpaint

More or less in that order.