So are Fleetwood Mac lying about Glasto?

Justiceforcedave

Fleetwood Mac for Glasto? Yay or nay?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Are Fleetwood Mac Playing Glasto?

Some bullshite stunt will be pulled "Oh did I say Fleetwood Mac weren't playing? I meant to say 'McFleetwood' weren't playing. Silly."

They've a notoriously complex contractual arrangement for every show but I'm sure there's willingness to get things sorted, the tour dates leave ample flexibility. Also Michael needs someone to mouth off about to the dears down the shops.

We were categorically told last year that Sonisphere was Metallica's only UK show.....just saying.

Yeah but they weren't exactly ruled out by Eavis and Lars.

Like it's been pointed out before, Mick could've done what other acts do and say "They haven't called us" rather than a two minute monologue pointing out four times that they're not playing. Plus, if they want to cover their arses and sell all their tour tickets - isn't it very likely they'd forego Glastonbury to do that instead of just lying about it?

Negotiations may have broken down over the fee. Therefore Eavis' "not available" and Fleetwood's "We're not playing" were true (at that moment in time anyway). They may have decided that they would be prepared to re-enter negotiations at a lower fee if their own tour sold out.

Or they may have simply told Glasto they weren't booking any UK festivals until their tour sold out.

Yeah but they weren't exactly ruled out by Eavis and Lars.

Like it's been pointed out before, Mick could've done what other acts do and say "They haven't called us" rather than a two minute monologue pointing out four times that they're not playing. Plus, if they want to cover their arses and sell all their tour tickets - isn't it very likely they'd forego Glastonbury to do that instead of just lying about it?

well no, because Glastonbury means more money for them, so they'd probably ideally do both.

if they want to sell all their tour tickets, saying that they're not playing Glastonbury would make people more likely to buy FM gig tickets.

people won't know that they're playing Glastonbury until April, so the tour would have sold pretty much all the tickets it was going to by that stage (assuming that they're not all sold out by then, given that several nights sold out in minutes. they might all be sold out now for all i know).

i certainly tried for FM Dublin tickets last week. if Mick had given a wishy-washy Glastonbury answer, I would have been less likely to buy, in the hope that they're playing the festival (if this Bristol thing had appeared earlier, i would have been even less likely).

Edited by ghostdancer1

well no, because Glastonbury means more money for them, so they'd probably ideally do both.

if they want to sell all their tour tickets, saying that they're not playing Glastonbury would make people more likely to buy FM gig tickets.

people won't know that they're playing Glastonbury until April, so the tour would have sold pretty much all the tickets it was going to by that stage (assuming that they're not all sold out by then, given that several nights sold out in minutes. they might all be sold out now for all i know).

i certainly tried for FM Dublin tickets last week. if Mick had given a wishy-washy Glastonbury answer, I would have been less likely to buy, in the hope that they're playing the festival (if this Bristol thing had appeared earlier, i would have been even less likely).

I understand the argument. It's just the fee offered by Glastonbury is paltry compared to just one sold out arena for them. Bands do Glastonbury for the legacy, the money or bigger sales and Fleetwood Mac already have all of those covered.

Negotiations may have broken down over the fee. Therefore Eavis' "not available" and Fleetwood's "We're not playing" were true (at that moment in time anyway). They may have decided that they would be prepared to re-enter negotiations at a lower fee if their own tour sold out.

Or they may have simply told Glasto they weren't booking any UK festivals until their tour sold out.

Possibly but I don't think Eavis would sit idly by for a couple of months just to find out Mac are interested again, after seemingly leaving an offer open to them from last year. Not sure why Glastonbury should sit there while they sell a couple of hundred thousand tickets either. For all we know there could be droves of people that bought Glastonbury tickets for the Mac that put them back in the pot to buy a gig ticket.

I think they're going to play. I believe that the management and members of FM got a bit twitchy about potential ticket sale issues of their tour. As a result, they have asked the festival to make waves that they're not playing in the press.

Once their dates have all sold out, we'll get an interview with Mick Fleetwood suggesting "at the time of that interview we weren't, but, after serious consideration we couldn't turn down the opportunity once they approached us" blah blah

The trouble is that if they do pull a fast one and end up doing Glastonbury, after that and Metallica it's all going to get a bit "boy who cried wolf" whenever the festival or a band say they're not playing...

Ah c'mon chief. You've been around long enough to not trust a word from them.

Unless theres a massive cock up The Mac will be play the Sunday. Convinced of it.

if they do end up playing Glastonbury, how will you people who bought tickets for their shows feel about it?

I haven't bought tickets for their shows, mainly because of the possibility of a Glastonbury appearance. I wouldn't be happy to pay £88+ and then see them for 'free' a few days later...

The trouble is that if they do pull a fast one and end up doing Glastonbury, after that and Metallica it's all going to get a bit "boy who cried wolf" whenever the festival or a band say they're not playing...

Surely it's already like that (as this thread demonstrates), and has been for many years now. A couple of years ago Daft Punk were being denied at every turn, and for some reason there were still people convinced they were going to turn up.

Couldn't get much stronger than a top 6 of:

Foo Fighters

Florence and the Machine

AC/DC

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Fleetwood Mac

Taylor Swift

Although I only like one of those.

I was pretty set on Florence headlining next year but going by all the rumours, other festivals included, I'm not sure if she will headline anywhere. No sign of the album coming out anytime soon either.

The Bristol thing is the only doubt in my mind - literally no other explanation than the whole 'they're staying in Bristol during the festival and someone's screwed up' idea.

After that Radio 2 interview, Muse had replaced Fleetwood Mac as my 'likely for Friday' front runner. Now I'm not so sure.

Fleetwood Mac - AC/DC - Foos would be a little uninspiring, but an impressive coup I think. These things change really quickly though.

i think its quite obvious that there isn't a deal done, perhaps with any headliners at this stage.

whether that will change between now and April who knows.... i have gone with no for now but it could easily change.

wasnt the rumour that the stones only confirmed a matter of days before the april announcement when they played?

Edited by Memory Man

i think its quite obvious that there isn't a deal done, perhaps with any headliners at this stage.

whether that will change between now and April who knows.... i have gone with no for now but it could easily change.

wasnt the rumour that the stones only confirmed a matter of days before the april announcement when they played?

Exactly that. It would seem they trolled Glastonbury for every pound (and amount of patience) they had.