So are Fleetwood Mac lying about Glasto?

Justiceforcedave

Fleetwood Mac for Glasto? Yay or nay?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Are Fleetwood Mac Playing Glasto?

I think it would be short sighted for any band to just look at the fee alone when it comes to Glastonbury, and I would assume Fleetwood Mac's management wouldn't be that short sighted.

Yes purely looking at the cash side of it, the fee Glastonbury would pay vs the cash they would get from their own Tour would be miniscule in comparison, but however big you are as a band everybody knows that Headlining Glastonbury elevates you to a new level in terms of awareness.

The amount of younger people that would see them at the Festival or on the BBC for the first time, the amount of people that would have forgotten about them and have a new found love for them, the amount of free publicity they would get from the newspapers around the build up and during the festival would all lead to huge indirect benefit to their pockets from headlining it.

I think it would be short sighted for any band to just look at the fee alone when it comes to Glastonbury, and I would assume Fleetwood Mac's management wouldn't be that short sighted.

Yes purely looking at the cash side of it, the fee Glastonbury would pay vs the cash they would get from their own Tour would be miniscule in comparison, but however big you are as a band everybody knows that Headlining Glastonbury elevates you to a new level in terms of awareness.

The amount of younger people that would see them at the Festival or on the BBC for the first time, the amount of people that would have forgotten about them and have a new found love for them, the amount of free publicity they would get from the newspapers around the build up and during the festival would all lead to huge indirect benefit to their pockets from headlining it.

very true, im sure their management have done the sums...it may be that the exposure actually makes little differenece to their profits? who knows..

very true, im sure their management have done the sums...it may be that the exposure actually makes little differenece to their profits? who knows..

I wondered that,a newish band would have a lot to gain from the exposure but a band that has been around for fifty years and the fact that you can pick up their albums in charity shops.

Assuming money/ exposure are the sole drivers for accepting the booking. They are in their 50's/60's. They will be in the middle a long tour. With their money - couldn't they just be thinking "can't be arsed - we'll be shagged after the O2."

That's where the already booked Friday night comes in - they might be plain old knackered.

management often don't get a cut of catalogue sales, so while it might be good for the band it might not be for the management - and so the management would be likely to try and divert a band away from Glasto towards big fees for other shows, to maximise their own income (and it would difficult to criticise a manger for getting the maximum guaranteed money).

Assuming money/ exposure are the sole drivers for accepting the booking. They are in their 50's/60's. They will be in the middle a long tour. With their money - couldn't they just be thinking "can't be arsed - we'll be shagged after the O2."

That's where the already booked Friday night comes in - they might be plain old knackered.

well they could be thinking that.

or they could be thinking "after we play the O2 on Friday, we've nothing to do until Leeds on Tuesday, why not make 750k by playing Glastonbury on Saturday/Sunday".

if they were that knackered they wouldn't be touring across the States for months on end and doing 2 nights back-to-back for a lot of it.

The biggest benefit they would get out of playing glastonbury would (with the increased exposure) surely be a rise in tickets sales after the event (as album sales would surely struggle to raise the sort of cash they get on tour). If, as some headliners have done, they announced or were due to play multiple dates after glastonbury it would help but they're doing enough uk dates to suggest they won't be back for a while (if at all at their age).

I think i'm going to switch from a yay to nay prediction (hope i'm wrong)

Changed my vote to a nay after the 26th date was announced

Really can't see this happening now, weren't they lined up for the friday?

Neil heard they were lined up for the Friday last year, and so had guessed they'd probably be Friday this year if they were to play. I think that's correct, and I think that's all there was to the Friday thing.